Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8022 8023 [8024] 8025 8026 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8570956 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #120345 on: November 09, 2021, 04:01:26 pm »

Guppies aren't very friendly themselves either. They will eat their own newborn children. (Guppies are viviparous).
Which is why pet stores sell special contraptions to pen pregnant females in your aquarium, while not trapping their offspring.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120346 on: November 10, 2021, 04:35:52 am »

Russia declared lhbti rights group 'the Russian Lhbti Network' to be a 'foreign agent'.
This will make it much harder for them to rescue lhbti persons from death squads or death by family members from Chechnya, as they depend on donations from the Russian population to keep doing their work.
Russians will now no longer donate, out of fear for being sent to Siberia for supporting foreign agencies.

The Kremlin has never made it a secret is has no love for lhbti. They call it 'a western phenomenon that is a threat to Russian traditional values'.
Violence against lhbti in Russia is often dismissed in court by judges (if it makes it to court at all), using the argument that lhbti provoked violence against themselves by insulting traditional Russians and threatening their values.

In the province of Chechnya, lhbti are in constant fear of their lives, even though they do not exist according to local president Kadyrov.
Manhunts are organised periodically to hunt down lhbti, and those captured are tortured to give names of more lhbti, and then delivered to their (orthodox islamitic) families with the words 'you know what to do with your child to save your family honour', and often are killed by their families. Sometimes they are killed in prison too.

The Russian Lhbti Network has smuggled many lhbti from Chechnya into slightly safer parts of Russia, of which a multiple award winning documentary was made, 'Welcome to Chechnya'. They fear that with them being brandished as foreign agents, they will no longer be able to do their work.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120347 on: November 10, 2021, 03:09:34 pm »

^ That's been going on for like 10 years unfortunately.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #120348 on: November 10, 2021, 05:30:44 pm »

I'm more curious about what lhbti is.

Hmmmmmmmm. Libertarian, Humanist, Bolshevik, Trinitarian, Intellectualist?

In honesty I'm guessing it's a gender thing, because it's abbreviations so duh. Lesbian, heterosexual, bisexual, transsexual... and I've no idea for i.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 05:32:48 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120349 on: November 10, 2021, 05:47:08 pm »

LGBT plus Intersex (a la LGBTQIA), and I would guess gay replaced with homosexual. Might be something to do with martinuzz-land but works for me, even if it technically makes Lesbian redundant.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #120350 on: November 10, 2021, 06:11:18 pm »

Ahhhh, intersex. That's probably it, thanks.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120351 on: November 11, 2021, 03:00:04 pm »

« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 06:11:11 pm by dragdeler »
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120352 on: November 14, 2021, 05:34:32 am »

Collision between an ambulance and a car near my town last evening killed 3 kids, age 16 and 15, and critically injured a 15 year old kid. Apparently the 16 year old kid was driving, and they were using nitrous oxide balloons while driving. The two ambulance drivers are also in hospital, albeit less severely injured.

I feel so sad for the ambulance brothers. You go out to save lives, and instead there's 3, maybe 4 dead children.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120353 on: November 15, 2021, 02:49:51 am »

they were using nitrous oxide balloons while driving.
Where they using it as drugs?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120354 on: November 15, 2021, 02:56:11 am »

Sadly that is a big hype over here, yes, mostly amongst young folks.
Our government is trying to outlaw it but that is hard, since it's also a common household product in the supermarket (used to pressurize whipped cream syringes).

Also note that minimum driving age is 18 years. The kids stole a car and went joyriding.

And yeah, I feel sad too for the kids and their parents. But I can't surpress the 'darwin award' thought.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 03:01:51 am by martinuzz »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120355 on: November 15, 2021, 04:01:15 am »

Seems like people will try anything if they think it'll get them high.

It feels like we should do less banning of items and instead work harder to discourage people from getting high.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120356 on: November 15, 2021, 09:07:26 am »

I think indeed banning things doesn't work. The USA should have learned that lesson back in the Prohibition era 100 years ago.
The only thing a war on drugs / banning substances accomplishes is that it makes criminals very rich and powerful.

Education is part of the solution. What also would help is if people who have children focus less on their careers and make more time to actually look after their children.
Capitalism turned emancipation of women into 'yay more workers for the machine, now we can pay half wages'. The children pay the bill.

Not that I am saying that women should return to being household slaves. Ideally, I'd say, mom and dad should both work a half workweek and share caring for kids and household between them equally.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 09:09:19 am by martinuzz »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120357 on: November 15, 2021, 02:22:49 pm »

Prohibition is probably a poor example to use, to an extent... for all the problems around it, it legitimately broke the back of the period's extremely rampant alcohol abuse issues, stateside. The shit actually worked, even if there's been a long history of trying to say otherwise. Not as much as its proponents would have liked, but remarkably well in some ways. It did a lot more than just make criminals rich and powerful.

War on drugs is tied up in a whole lot of other crap. It's different from Prohibition in quite a number of ways, from what I understand. The racial component involved in the former really can't be understated, unfortunately, and that wasn't nearly as involved or explicit with Prohibition.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #120358 on: November 17, 2021, 06:00:07 pm »

Nothing has changed in my life for three or more years now, I'm still depressed, I still have no plans, and despite taking medication for ADHD, a combination of trauma and shitty coping mechanisms from my childhood still keep me from accomplishing anything. Therapy is slow, and hopelessness is always around the corner.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120359 on: November 18, 2021, 03:59:11 am »

The international tennis world is deeply concerned about the wellbeing and safety of Peng Shuai.
Earlier this month, she accused former vice president of China, Zhang Ghaoli, of raping her.
Ever since, she has not been seen in public.
The message in which she accused him was removed from Weibo within half an hour. Her social media accounts have vanished and searching her name on search engines in China turns up blank.
Yesterday a statement appeared in the Chinese media, in which Peng withdraws her accusations. It is believed to be a fabricated and false statement.

WTA chairman Steve Simon says the message has only deepened his concern. 'The WTA and the rest of the world need independent and verifiable proof of her safety', he says.

Pages: 1 ... 8022 8023 [8024] 8025 8026 ... 8156