Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8023 8024 [8025] 8026 8027 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8473981 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #120360 on: November 18, 2021, 07:14:42 am »

I dont recall ever being a tennis player called like that.... surely must be your capitalist corrupted imatination comrade Martinuzz.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #120361 on: November 18, 2021, 12:44:43 pm »

The international tennis world is deeply concerned about the wellbeing and safety of Peng Shuai.
Earlier this month, she accused former vice president of China, Zhang Ghaoli, of raping her.
Ever since, she has not been seen in public.
The message in which she accused him was removed from Weibo within half an hour. Her social media accounts have vanished and searching her name on search engines in China turns up blank.
Yesterday a statement appeared in the Chinese media, in which Peng withdraws her accusations. It is believed to be a fabricated and false statement.

WTA chairman Steve Simon says the message has only deepened his concern. 'The WTA and the rest of the world need independent and verifiable proof of her safety', he says.

...well at least we know she was telling the truth.

Nothing has changed in my life for three or more years now, I'm still depressed, I still have no plans, and despite taking medication for ADHD, a combination of trauma and shitty coping mechanisms from my childhood still keep me from accomplishing anything. Therapy is slow, and hopelessness is always around the corner.

Yeah, I sympathize.  I envy those who were happy before COVID, as I personally was depressed and felt awful.  I haven't much good feelings to go back to post-COVID.

So instead I sorta try to keep busy.  It helps.  I'm heavily involved in a non-for-profit fraternal organization.  I own my own business.  I'm part of other organizations.  Some days I'm too busy to be miserable!

When I'm really bored, I make another lame attempt at dating.  I don't expect anything good ever to come of it, but I'm starting to enjoy the novelty of seeing how it all falls apart.

Time is relative.  Remember that when things are hard, time keeps going forward, and that if you can push through, the hard times will pass by.

In the long run, everything is going to be fine.  It is a statement worth reflection, even if difficult to believe.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120362 on: November 18, 2021, 03:58:36 pm »

:( i yell
let

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120363 on: November 19, 2021, 12:20:02 am »

Just having a really rotten time lately.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #120364 on: November 19, 2021, 12:59:42 am »

I've been sleeping badly lately but today its specially bad. V anxious too.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #120365 on: November 19, 2021, 01:29:24 am »

Oh, I gained 20 pounds in like 2-3 weeks.  That sucks, but at least I know what to do about it (I lost the same 20 pounds with about a month of exercise and diet).

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120366 on: November 23, 2021, 12:34:54 am »

I'm back to seriously struggling and kind of underwater mode. The seasonal change isn't working well for me and there's chaos in the math community right now over DEI type stuff. Plus it's nearly the end of the quarter.

IDK guys, I'm just so, so tired.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120367 on: November 23, 2021, 04:33:06 am »

and there's chaos in the math community right now over DEI type stuff.
Chances are that if mathematicians bicker about binary / non-binary, that it has nothing to do with DEI.

Joking aside, don't let it get to you. You'll be fine, bad days will pass like they always do.

Here's some music to let the seasonal pass.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvUQcnfwUUM
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 04:36:20 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120368 on: November 23, 2021, 01:03:53 pm »

LOL. No, they're mostly not even at the point of arguing about that, it's more back to the "are women even capable of doing mathematics???" type thing.

Thank you for the music!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120369 on: November 23, 2021, 07:03:37 pm »

Eeeeuuuugghhhhhh

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120370 on: November 30, 2021, 12:53:19 am »

I'm extremely stressed out. I'm running short on money. I only have enough to make rent for December, and that's pretty much it. I'm having an unexpectedly hard time finding a new job, I thought I'd be able to find one quickly with how starved the job market seemed to be, but I'm just having trouble.

I'm just really disappointed in myself. I'm looking around, and I can see where I could have put more effort, where I could have jealously guarded my savings even more than I already do, where my dismal outlook on life made me unmotivated where normal people are; I'm just really upset, I'm such a chump and a loser.

I don't even want to lay out the specifics, just because anyone could point and deduce that I put myself into this situation and I deserve all the grief. I could have averted all of this had I not quit the job I had, but the thought of continuing the stress from that job makes me sick. I can't help but think that if DnD hadn't been cancelled that one day in September, I wouldn't have been riding my bike that day, and I wouldn't have flipped my bike and hurt my elbows, and the pain from that injury wouldn't have pushed me over the edge to quitting, and I might have stuck with it a bit longer, and I wouldn't been tearing my hair out over my money troubles right now. But... Just fuck me, no matter how you boil it down, it's all my fault.

I'm probably going to have to cut my internet, since I just don't have the money for it for December. That'd give me just the tiniest bit of leeway to make it to 2022... if my most recent job applications fall through again and I can't get anything going, I'm going to be in serious trouble.

The stress and anxiety of it is making me sick. It's a lot of stress to suffer through to try to continue a life that doesn't seem to be worth living anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #120371 on: November 30, 2021, 06:13:09 am »

Don't regret it fam, part of it is just the times we live in. I got rejected for a librarian post at a library I worked at before because I was overqualified. World doesn't make sense anymore. Things have just gotten so crazy that even if you grind and save it's not possible to avoid relative decline. You only get access to cheap credit if you're so wealthy you don't need it. One of the mad things I heard from a real estate agent recently was why on earth all the houses and offices weren't lowering rents despite simple economics dictating lower demand = lower prices. She explained that because so many of the people renting were subletting, they would rather leave their stuff empty for a year or two and pray someone bites their bullet than rent out and keep losing money every month... Even if they end up losing more money in the end. In a just world you'd be able to work a job which doesn't grind your soul, and you'd be able to have your pick in a hungry job market. But stuff just doesn't make sense

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120372 on: November 30, 2021, 08:26:08 am »

Darn josh, is there any goverment agency you can go to? Or family or friends you can lean in for a bit? You are from USA? What is your career/skills? Please just don't give up pal.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #120373 on: November 30, 2021, 01:05:53 pm »

You might be able to get a seasonal position to get you through December, but it probably won’t be well paid beyond that if they offer to keep you on.

Equally so, what’s done is done. You did what was right for you at the time, your current struggles are worth it when you do find a job that doesn’t make you sick with stress.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #120374 on: December 02, 2021, 07:36:08 pm »

Chances are that if mathematicians bicker about binary / non-binary, that it has nothing to do with DEI.

smh, gender is a vector consisting of at least 2 float values such that those values are in the range [0, 1], smh

(No, I have no clue how vector or matrix multiplication of genders would map to anything resembling gender-as-it's-understood.)
Pages: 1 ... 8023 8024 [8025] 8026 8027 ... 8153