Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8050 8051 [8052] 8053 8054 ... 8056

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 7051564 times)

vcd14

• Bay Watcher
  • My neck is tearing apart
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #120765 on: May 20, 2022, 07:23:54 pm »

MTF needs to put Putin back in containment

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120766 on: May 25, 2022, 10:39:28 pm »

I love my grandpa
He was a painter, and he isn't my blood.  He was a  cook in Vietnam.  I keep a gold-trimmed paintbrush he was awarded for his post-war work.  He married my gma even though she had two children.  He was a conservative but he was very kind about it.
He is more my family than my father.  Family is who we choose.
[friend acknowledgement]
He was jovial, and he was very good at frying fish.  And hushpuppies.
He loved Christmas even more than my gma, which is saying something.
He married her despite them having different denominations.  And when it turned out his church was deeply corrupt, he joined hers.  Quietly.
[friend acknowledgement]
I mean, sad that he became a Southern Baptist, but this particular Baptist church was relatively cool
I used to sit in bible studies with her church, and they were... interesting.  Unironically.  Bible study can be fun.
And this particular church joined the schism against the racist portion
Gpa finished wood, and sometimes worked it a little.  He had a workshop.  More the finishing than the working.  It was a nice retirement, from what I heard.
He tried to teach me, but I was distracted by his radio.  So it goes.
[friend acknowledgement]
I think I'm done, thank you.  The guy deserves a better eulogy than what the church gave him.  I stood up during the service - ah heck, here I go - and told the story about how I stole some ice cream, and he paid for it and taught me not to take advantage of workers.
That's it, now I'm done.

Friend:
oh wow
he seems like he was a good person
Rolan7 Today at 10:22 PM
Despite having shit political opinions, yeah.  He was a good guy.
Friend:
i can see why you care about him

Edit: This was a few years ago, I just felt... I don't know, that he deserved a better eulogy than his shit church gave him.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 10:44:26 pm by Rolan7 »
They/them
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • no spoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #120767 on: May 26, 2022, 03:52:59 am »

Yeah, in my experience churches don't seem great at eulogizing. Crushes someone down to one singular aspect.
disinclined to interpret generously

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120768 on: May 27, 2022, 01:20:20 pm »

Curse saturday mornings I wish it caused intense pain akin to lemon and chilli juice in the eyes, to be awake on a saturday before noon, on the whole body up their asshole idgaf.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 05:12:34 am by dragdeler »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120769 on: May 28, 2022, 10:58:01 am »

I have been talking to a lot of people lately who are in full-blown "I don't care to take care of my health, because I'm fine with dying in 20 years" mode.

Even with everything I've been through, I never got there. It makes me sad and worried about the future.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120770 on: May 28, 2022, 11:40:09 am »

Oh... yeah, I've been there since I was like 12, ha. More seriously as I got older -- I haven't expected to live to retirement age for well over a decade, now. I sorta' take care of my health (mostly because I'm caretaking for my grandparents, but once they go *shrugs*), but, like... not nearly well enough, and between likely inherited issues that's probably not far from kicking up and being poor in a poor area in a shit, shit state, I just don't expect to last that long. Nothing about my life or health or family history or environment suggests it's likely.

It's not entirely a bad thing, though? At last part of it comes from just being okay with dying. I've been up mountains, in caves, from one side of the US to the other. Swam in the ocean, in lakes, rivers. Helped build and repair a house or two, all sorts of stuff. For all I've spent a lot of time as what amounts to a techno hermit due to a lot of reasons (mostly just... hating where I live, pretty intensely, heh), for a long while now I've felt like I've done enough, y'know? I've lived a life full enough to be content with kicking the bucket, and there's precious few people likely to outlive me that I give much of a damn about, so no regret-y things on that front. Long as I can manage shelter and food and something to read I'm pretty content with the thought of just mostly just reading a bunch for another decade or two and then getting to have the best nap ever, the one I don't have to wake up from.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120771 on: May 28, 2022, 12:13:59 pm »

I mean, one of the top line-items on my to-do list is to write my will since I think there's a reasonable chance of being killed in some way through the next five years, but to me, that's different ...

It's one thing to say "I think I may die soon," it's another thing to do things purposefully that you know will accelerate the process.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #120772 on: May 28, 2022, 12:15:48 pm »

I'm pretty content with the thought of just mostly just reading a bunch for another decade or two and then getting to have the best nap ever, the one I don't have to wake up from.

That's only how people who take care of their health go. People who don't die slowly, over many years of decades.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120773 on: May 28, 2022, 12:40:07 pm »

Nah, let be pretty clear on this one: I'm not going to have slow, lingering death. I've seen what that looks like, I've been helping take care of it for the last few years. Either something will take me pretty quick when the time comes, or I'll do it myself.

... though the only reason I haven't got a will done up is because I just... don't really have anything to will, and what little I do I care remarkably little about, heh. Literally all I own is about a week's worth of clothes, a laptop and tablet, and what's in my bank account (which is... sorta' okay for someone in my economic situation -- about a year or two's worth of below-poverty-line income -- but not exactly enough to do much of import with). Standard inheritance process is fine, next of kin hasn't quite pissed me off enough to bother with something else. Did enough research to know I don't care enough to do something unusual with it.

But yeah, I've been calling it passively suicidal, though there's probably a better term. Not at the point of purposefully seeking out self-destructive stuff (if mostly just because most of what I'm particularly inclined towards makes me feel physically miserable nowadays, and I'm exhausted, not masochistic), but there's definitely a major "not taking care of myself" pattern of behavior. Don't have the energy for it, and don't really think trying would make much of a difference. There's just not much help for folks in the position I'm in, can't muster the effort or resources to manage without help, and I don't have any reason to expect that to change before something kills me.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120774 on: May 28, 2022, 12:46:47 pm »

TFW when you did everything right to die slowly but faster, licking the tar out of every last cigarette bud, and you still find yourself part of the higher ranks of the cyberdjihad in 2087. Sigh, better luck next time.

vcd14

• Bay Watcher
  • My neck is tearing apart
    • View Profile
« Reply #120775 on: May 28, 2022, 04:59:30 pm »

My plan is to just kick the bucket when I have no one truly depending or giving too much of a shit about me or things start to get bad and boring, fuck fighting for a better future or trying to make it, specially if it's just for myself. I do put in effort to take care of my health, I don't smoke, never touched anything stronger than a light beer, I don't even drink coffee, and I try to make it work economically, but in the same way you would avoid ripping up a disposable bag, you know you're gonna discard it anyways when it gets all ripped up or its usefulness runs out.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120776 on: May 29, 2022, 06:24:28 pm »

I don't have plan. I just don't. The answer to the dillema of "Should I just lie down and die, or try to be something?" is very much beyond me. I have no answers. Both seems reasonable and stupid at the same time.

Everything seems so uncertain. So muddy. Nothing is stable except for a slowly approaching, looming presence of entropy coming to take its due from us.

I know life is inherently unstable. But I also know that this current global situation is not normal, and is relatively chaotic.

But, I guess this is how it is.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest.
Now that Halloween approaches, we must rebrand impostor syndrome as amogus pocus

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #120777 on: May 29, 2022, 07:45:12 pm »

I try to take care of my health, because I generally believe we live as long as we live regardless of our health decisions.
What I'm trying to change is the quality of my life.
I want to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120778 on: May 29, 2022, 09:00:43 pm »

I smoke. I drink. But that's not because I want to die or commit slow suicide, it's because I want to *live*.
I don't need to live a hundred years in good health if I can live 70 having fun and enjoying my freedoms.
Hell, I'll save society tons of money in elderly care, even. I hope it's spent on the future of the younger generations that come after me.
Live life to the max.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 09:04:16 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

Enjoy the freedom to explore the limits of your constraints

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #120779 on: May 29, 2022, 09:06:09 pm »

I probably shouldn't get too preachy, since I drink like a fish
But smoking means society is going to have to pay for your future poor health. It might take 10 years off your life, but society's gonna pay for your health problems for 10 years leading up to that.
Pages: 1 ... 8050 8051 [8052] 8053 8054 ... 8056