Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8096 8097 [8098] 8099 8100 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8471542 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #121455 on: January 20, 2023, 02:48:54 am »

It's 7:49. I've not slept all night, not because I don't want to but because my attempts have failed. It's like there's something missing that lets me get comfortable enough to sleep, and I'm not tired enough to overcome that lack of comfort.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #121456 on: January 20, 2023, 03:46:21 am »

Sometimes I need to trick my brain into thinking I'm only taking a nap (I often have trouble falling asleep, but never falling anap) rather than going to sleep.

Methods involve keeping my clothes on, using my blanket instead of my duvet, and laying down opposite to my standard sleeping position.

Yes, it stupid. But it feels like it works.
Love, scriver~

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121457 on: January 22, 2023, 10:10:28 pm »

I'm having yet another setback in my health. For those who are unaware, I have a spinal cord stimulator implanted in my lower back. Apparently, the leads are no longer connected to what they should be connected to, and therefore not blocking the pain signals they should be. The nerves in my legs feel like they're on fire 24/7, and have for a few weeks. If they've moved too far to be manipulated back into place, I have to have another surgery to have a more robust "paddle lead" put in place and essentially soldered to my spine so that this doesn't happen again.

I really just want to go back to the gym and workout.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121458 on: January 23, 2023, 05:19:11 am »

Fingers crossed that it hasn't moved too far and that surgery is not going to be nescessary.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121459 on: January 23, 2023, 06:58:06 am »

His body is too strong. It keeps rejecting the cyberware
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121460 on: January 23, 2023, 07:50:13 am »

His body is too strong. It keeps rejecting the cyberware
We have the technology. Upgrade the chrome

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121461 on: January 23, 2023, 08:09:20 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 11:20:14 pm by JoshuaFH »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121462 on: January 24, 2023, 03:20:51 am »

Hopefully it isn't to difficult to put those things back where they belong.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #121463 on: January 24, 2023, 08:08:21 am »

Did you choose a 'sensation' or nothing?

I'm not sure which I'd prefer.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121464 on: January 25, 2023, 02:59:23 pm »

Baseline is nothing, but I can feel it when I turn it up (so that I don't forget to turn it back down.)

Officially waiting on my 7th spinal surgery, to get the more robust hardware put in. The leads migrated too far to be manipulated back into place.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121465 on: January 25, 2023, 03:27:41 pm »

I think this is the closest thread to a "Facepalm" thread.

Video about an American tourist being attacked in London for their Rolex. Attackers had knives and a shitty stun gun (The guy got hit and it did fuck all to him). Large number of comments saying "Well if the UK allowed guns then the gang would be dead"

Somehow they all failed to realise that if the victim has a gun, the attackers are likely to have one as well. And that the US has a higher rate of general violent crime than the UK (And there were a few comments ignoring the "rate" part there). And that people still get mugged on the regular in the US despite having guns.

There was also the slew of "In the UK it's illegal to defend yourself!" thing, which is basically a meme at this point albeit one that a load of people think is real. You can defend yourself, but it has to be proportional and stop once the aggressor is no longer a threat. You can't stab someone when you're in a fistfight, and curb-stomping someone who's unconscious is excessive and would get you booked. You can even use weapons, the difference is you can't use weapons purely for self-defence. If you carried a bat in case you got mugged, that's illegal. If you got attacked by a knife-user and used a bat that you had on you because you were coming back from rounders or cricket or whatever that's legal.

It's just frustrating and stupid how so many people have bought into "The UK is so soft that criminals always run roughshod over the common man and defending yourself against them will get you thrown in jail for longer than the criminal!"
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121466 on: January 26, 2023, 06:08:47 am »

The problem is that nobody will ever be able to prove that their defense was "proportional" unless they're done in worse first. So the batter will always be at risk of being charged with battery (lol) unless the knifer knifes him a proportional amount first. The victim ends up in a moral limbo where they have to care more about the person actively assaulting them and trying to hurt them than their own safety, which is a ridiculous requirement in an emergency. And since emergency is a requirement for self-defence, we end up with a self-defeating circular definition of when you are allowed to defend yourself.

It puts the victim at the mercy of the whims of the prosecution and judge and how keen they are on a sentence. At least in the UK they would have to go in front of a jury that might look at it with some common sense, but here in Sweden we don't have that. Which means it's entirely likely you'll be sentenced for murder for firing a hunting rifle at armed people breaking down your door in the middle of the night and shouting that they're going to kill you. Which, yes, is a real case which happened 5-10 years back.
Love, scriver~

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121467 on: January 26, 2023, 07:05:32 am »

Caveat: I have not been in any kind of physical altercation since 2007. I am, however, extremely familiar with violence. I hold instructor ranks in three separate but very similar martial arts, Ninjutsu, Savate, and Muay Thai. I can't say anything about the UK or their laws, but here's my take on my experiences with the US law.

As it has been explained to me by a few lawyers, a bunch of police officers, and all of my coaches/teachers: it's not proportional force that law enforcement is looking at in cases of self defense, it's escalation of force. If I put down a violent threat, end the fight, and then immediately call the cops (and wait around to give a statement,) without going out of my way to cause extra damage to my assailant, they're not going to prosecute me.

I used to barfight frequently. I have always been told that the "appropriate measure of force," was "enough to stop someone from hurting you or others and no more." I have been in a couple of fights where a guy just refused to stop getting up until I absolutely wrecked his shit, and have never even seen the inside of a jail.

If, hypothetically, I were to kick someone, then jump on them and ground and pound them after they stopped fighting back, then I would definitely be a candidate for jail, deservedly so. Especially if I were to GnP after they were unable to defend themselves, like unconscious.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121468 on: January 26, 2023, 07:16:22 am »

The problem is that nobody will ever be able to prove that their defense was "proportional" unless they're done in worse first.
You are forgetting that the UK , for decades now, has turned into Mega Big Brother Land, and just about every square inch of public area is covered by at least 3 camera angles.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #121469 on: January 26, 2023, 08:36:50 pm »

A game that has included such things as Dwarf DayCare and industrial scale mermaid bone farming sounds about right for them.
For srs though, what? The game is a free download. If they want to have their trans-free experience (is there even trans anything in the base game?) they can just mod it that way, it’s not difficult, even for a community of low IQ fuds.
Rule of thumb (with nail clipped by Occam’s razor): if it does not make sense and looks like a caricature, it probably is a caricature.
For example: “world’s most hilarious fake account”.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"
Pages: 1 ... 8096 8097 [8098] 8099 8100 ... 8153