Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8101 8102 [8103] 8104 8105 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8664927 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #121530 on: February 15, 2023, 11:12:48 am »

There's equivalents in most areas, as far as I'm aware of things, actually, usually affiliated with HUD in some way or another. There's not anything I'm aware of on the federal level like WIC, though, the programs involved tend to be state or local level.

It's just that they're generally not exactly... responsive, in the sense that around where I'm at getting into gov't assisted housing is something that can involve a wait time of literally over a decade, and regularly takes years. Some places do have some form of rent assistance or subsidization, though again actually getting it involves a lot of hoop jumping and time that isn't exactly easy to afford when you're a single parent with little to no support network, assuming there's any funding available for new applicants at all (which is not a guarantee, especially in the areas of the country particularly hostile to the worse off).

For immediate needs, sometimes there's women's shelters or suchlike in an area, but they're almost always stressed to the limit in terms of capacity, so.

... we tolerate it because the people effected are too fucked up and scrabbling to survive to fight back, and too many of the folks not effected have fucking brainworms and either don't care or are actively trying to inflict that sort of misery on the less fortunate.

A very dear online friend of mine was hit by a car last summer - he thought the injuries were light and he was healing well.

Turned out there was some hidden liver damage that the hospitals missed, and by the time he realized something was wrong it was too late. He passed a few days ago.
Condolences, yeah. That's pretty close to what happened to my grandmother last year, if on a much condensed time frame in her case. Injuries took during a fall caused worse damage than the hospital noticed, and it killed her :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121531 on: February 15, 2023, 12:27:51 pm »

I think the issue with HUD and similar is that the time it takes to get them is less than the time it takes for property owners to execute the eviction process.

I can't say I've had to look into it before, but since someone in my local sphere now is "stuck" in this situation, and we want to help them both in the immediate term not get kicked out of their house as well as help in the long term, I'm having to start getting an understanding of it.

It's a systematic mess, exacerbated by cultural norms.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #121532 on: February 15, 2023, 12:40:15 pm »

Yeah, HUD affiliated stuff will generally do exactly nothing to help with someone being actively evicted. Generally the only recourse there is whatever renter protections are available in the jurisdiction in question, and, like. You can't hear it, but I'm laughing at the concept of those, and it's not a happy laugh.

Even when they exist making use of them is something you can't reasonably expect from someone in a bad way being stomped on by an aggressive landlord. There's usually a period (30-90 days, stuff like that) where you can't legally be evicted, but if legalities stopped landlords with any consistency, there wouldn't be as many calls for their heads.
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121533 on: February 15, 2023, 04:32:55 pm »

Also seriously, trailer parks with lot rent + trailer mortgage costing more per month than my single-family home? Why do we tolerate that as a society?
Same here in the Netherlands. Students, and everyone else unfortunate enough to still be on the 10+ year waiting list for affordable real housing pay much more for a 2mx3m or 3mx3m single room than I do for my social rental family two story + attic home with 18x7m back yard. Trailer parc like pre-fab sea container shaped stackable homes are the newest trend.
Although the mechanis behind it are probably slightly different. We have serious housing shortage, while being one of the, if not the most densely built countries/country in the world, while the US also has housing shortages, but still plenty of room to build on.
Our problem is part capitalism, part planologic/topographic, the US' problem is purely capitalism. We have housing shortage for lack of building room, you have housing shortage to artificially keep demand high.

Your question is valid. Why keep up with that shit?

The answer to capitalist speculation on one of the basic human rights, -shelter-, used to be 'squatting = legal', when a building is not being used. The law even granted squatters tenant rights after a while.
Sadly neo-con parties managed to make squatting illegal about 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 04:40:38 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121534 on: February 16, 2023, 04:41:01 am »

I just found out that my best friend from high school is on trial for a horrendous crime, and that was the last thing I wanted to hear that he was involved in especially since it's the first I've heard about him in a few years. Deep down I hope he didn't do it but I haven't talked to him in a few years and people can change, just hoping he didn't change into that kind of person.
Got an up date on this and it turns out that he isn't on trial for doing it once but twice, and my only thought on the matter is what the fuck were you thinking.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121535 on: February 16, 2023, 06:41:26 pm »

I just found out that my best friend from high school is on trial for a horrendous crime, and that was the last thing I wanted to hear that he was involved in especially since it's the first I've heard about him in a few years. Deep down I hope he didn't do it but I haven't talked to him in a few years and people can change, just hoping he didn't change into that kind of person.
Got an up date on this and it turns out that he isn't on trial for doing it once but twice, and my only thought on the matter is what the fuck were you thinking.

I know what it feels like man. My own cousin who I grew up with murdered two homeless people, and would have kept killing had the police not quickly identified his MO and caught him.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121536 on: February 17, 2023, 06:54:42 am »

I know what it feels like man. My own cousin who I grew up with murdered two homeless people, and would have kept killing had the police not quickly identified his MO and caught him.
Sorry to hear that happened but glad to hear he was stopped, you always hope people you know are incapable of such things.

Also I'm not sure why I didn't mention what the crime was, probably a hope that he didn't actually do it but the discovery that there was is a second trial for something a year before the one I heard about have put those thoughts to rest. For those wondering the crime is sexual assault of a child on two different occasions, a crime I'd though he was incapable of.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121537 on: February 17, 2023, 08:03:39 am »

Are we talking age of consent or pedophilia?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121538 on: February 18, 2023, 03:00:58 am »

Are we talking age of consent or pedophilia?
As far as we can find it was with a child and it is something he will burn in hell for.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121539 on: February 19, 2023, 05:23:18 am »

I got an update on this whole thing!

The trials just finished and he was found not guilty on both accounts, thank Christ for that. Glad to hear that he wasn't capable of something like that. Also you can't burn in hell for something you didn't do, should have kept my faith that he didn't do it instead of letting the bad thoughts take over.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #121540 on: February 19, 2023, 09:00:04 am »

I... just hope that relief is well placed. People get a not guilty verdict despite factually having molested children on the regular, unfortunately. State of the courts being what they are, being not guilty just means they weren't guilty beyond a reasonable doubt (or whatever the local equivalent is, or that the judge was particularly bribeable/willing to look the other way, or etc., etc., etc.), not that they weren't guilty :-\ Though guilty verdicts are unfortunately in a similar state, sometimes folks get hit with charges basically by default, the defense lawyer fucking up or something of similar intent, and it still ends up with them in jail and a felony record regardless.

If there's also a civil trial involved, keep an eye on that. The degree of evidence needed there is less abusable, and often how folks that manage to get out of criminal charges still see at least some repercussions for misdeeds.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 09:01:35 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121541 on: February 19, 2023, 03:38:52 pm »

People also sometimes get jailed for child molestation falsely, for what it's worth. Particularly when relying on very young children's testimony (something like 3 years), it turns out that if you ask such a child to point on a doll where a totally random person had touched them, surprisingly very often they will indicate private areas.

EDIT: I see you have mentioned this too in another angle, must've missed it.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121542 on: February 20, 2023, 05:10:31 am »

I'm just gonna hold to the hope the verdict was right and he had nothing to do with it and he was ether not who they were looking for or the clam was bullshit. I'm sure I'll find out more of what when on in the trial at some point but for right now I know nothing more than he was found not guilty.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121543 on: February 20, 2023, 08:47:56 am »

SSRI discontinuation syndrome got so bad I had to take a sertraline tablet just to relieve the dizziness and parasthesia.

I couldn't even roll around in bed without being smacked by a wave of it.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121544 on: February 20, 2023, 08:54:02 am »

being not guilty just means they weren't guilty beyond a reasonable doubt (or whatever the local equivalent is, or that the judge was particularly bribeable/willing to look the other way, or etc., etc., etc.), not that they weren't guilty :-\

What is your technical term to distinguish 'not guilty' and 'not proven'?

Otherwise courts is another example of subjective truth, where only thing that matters is what you can convince the judge\jury is true

From my little experience in civil proceeding is that no one should trust the system, get a good legal advice, prepare for the worst and document document document everything even if you can't imagine its relevant, because you could find yourself in 5 year "legal battle" (not the fancy stuff on tv but hour long procedural BS with ~year long pauses in-between with proceeding further delayed because life --in our case cancer)

Also "turth" is subjective, everyone has their perspective, convinced they are right, and want to win (especially when there are big sum of money involved) and eventually their self serving narratives start to reinforce themselves (like with bullies/mobs that get themselves riled up before a fight looking for justification). It is a system that at the very least encourage to provide your best version of plausible events regardless of what the truth is.

In our case we are in attrition war, relying on stuff submitted 5 years ago (of exactly what the lawyer told you) unable to disprove some unexpected creative claims they made because its hard to come by with new evidence after so long (no documentation, data lost on phone,  etc) so in part it is "he said she said" scenario. Luckily many of their claims are unsubtle lies on record we can disprove but even if we win, there is a good chance they can use the system to stone wall any payment.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 10:05:37 am by jipehog »
Pages: 1 ... 8101 8102 [8103] 8104 8105 ... 8156