Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1633 1634 [1635] 1636 1637 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8549304 times)

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #24510 on: March 16, 2011, 06:48:28 pm »

Speaking as someone who plans to be an engineer, i'd have to disagree with the "unimpressive to the extreme" bit

"In terms of the arts, or outside of engineering, they were unimpressive to the extreme."

Outside.

There's a word there that you might want to pay attention to.
I was multitasking at the time and missed that. my apologies, and I revoke my objection.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24511 on: March 16, 2011, 06:49:30 pm »

Okay, no problem~
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24512 on: March 16, 2011, 08:47:52 pm »

And the romans were actually pretty huge in the arts. I mean, most of the attention is taken from their love of bloodsport and races, but they actually had some very good plays and songs. And from what we've seen of Pompeii and H-... The other one, their paintings and murals were actually very exact and pinpoint, if vulgar. And theirs was a culture that embraced all passion in a way which is very foreign to us.
And in the early-latter part of the Roman Empire (Just before the part where my respect for them begins to immediately dwindle and die), they were beginning to accept some gallic and germanic culture into their everyday lives, which caused a gigantic diversification in statues and frescoes.
And I believe that I possess the same deep 2000 year-old longing for Marius, despite my heterosexuality.

Also, if you want to talk about Architecture and Engineering, try the Minoans. They were Before the Greeks, but they used piped plumbing and built their walls from stones cut in irregular shapes so that they would interock perfectly into a strong structure.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24513 on: March 16, 2011, 10:11:06 pm »

Zero motivation.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #24514 on: March 16, 2011, 10:49:01 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:41:05 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24515 on: March 16, 2011, 10:51:34 pm »

Haha >_>

Yeah, I think I just need to sit down, get to work, and calmly go through the motions.  I don't feel guilty, just emotionally exhausted and drained.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #24516 on: March 16, 2011, 10:54:12 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:41:21 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24517 on: March 16, 2011, 11:19:19 pm »

Also, you know what?  I'm so damned tired of "lyrics" in "English" and their terrible lack of a. lyricism and b. poeticism and c. any positive qualities whatsoever.  Fuck English music!  It sounds awful, in general!

There's some stuff that I like, but good lord, I am so tired of reading lyrics somewhere and going "look, it's wangst."  Or "Look, here I am posturing."  Boring rhythms, stupid autotuning, nothing important to say, so many "love songs" that don't give me any interest in falling in love with the singer.  And that's not just because they aren't about math, it's because they're so damnably ugly.

Not the singers.  The music itself.

I even prefer the stuff like "Aicha" and "Ils s'aiment comme avant," and that stuff is... well, it's not very good.  At the very least, it's old-fashioned.  Even "lapin au sesame," which is about eating rabbits with sesame seeds.  And "La place des grandes hommes."  And all of Faudel's weird Algerian/French music videos...

What happened to "rhymes for the eye?"  What happened to Hugo's spiders and fountains of exuberant prose--even the terrible Hernani, in its glasslike perfection?  What happened to interesting diction, and poeticism, and piccardy thirds when you want them?  What happened to my beloved Baudelaire and Ponge?  Prose poems?  The difference between feminine and masculine rhymes, carefully examined, and not just in terms of hypercatalexis and so on--other things.  What about the building, edifice, the cathedral, the bitching about the parvenus, the careful ribbing of the BCBG, the complaints about religion, my dear flights of existentialism?  Camus and his longing for Algerie, Sartre and his nausea, Giraudoux and his terror of war?

What about all of that?  Where is that?

RRRRRRAUUUUGH!

I just can't stand it!

... Actually, I feel a lot better now.  Huh.

Oh, I know what's wrong.  I've hardly spoken French or read any of her beautiful literature for the past two years, and it's making the part of me which adores France very sad and lonely.  I've even been writing in my diary in French recently.  But there's no one to talk about France with!

That, and I really, really miss the passion of Professor Poland.

*sigh*

Spring break starts in two days.  When I hit it, I'm binging.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24518 on: March 16, 2011, 11:21:34 pm »

PARTY!!! XD
Ah, the possibilities of that to happen though is slim.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24519 on: March 16, 2011, 11:39:50 pm »

PARTY!!! XD
Ah, the possibilities of that to happen though is slim.

... Oh yeah?

I have maybe six plays by Giraudoux at home, and the entirety of Les Miserables.  I haven't read a page of the latter.  Plus, an unabridged copy of The Count of Monte Christo, and Du Contrat Social, and Hugo's autobiography, and Berenice, and plays by Rabelais...

Oh my god oh my god

Le Mariage de Figaro was so amazing.  Comedic, touching, meaningful.  I want to run home and read it all over again, I love it so much.  It's simply divine.  And making fun of Cherubin is so much fun.

And Antigone, by Anouilh!  That was amazing.  And Le Voyageur Sans Bagages.  And what about Balzac, and Sarrasine, and Pere Goriot, and Maupassant, and Flaubert, and... all of them.  I love all of them so much, I could cry.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24520 on: March 16, 2011, 11:41:22 pm »

*Brainasplodes*
Vector, do you have thespian nights at your place? :D

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24521 on: March 16, 2011, 11:43:35 pm »

*Brainasplodes*
Vector, do you have thespian nights at your place? :D

Nah, I just read a lot of plays.

And damn, the last things I finished reading for pleasure were Arcadia and Equus, about a month ago.  Pretty sad, really.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24522 on: March 17, 2011, 12:13:55 am »

All Grindcore has the same lyrics.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #24523 on: March 17, 2011, 12:14:07 am »

And damn, the last things I finished reading for pleasure were Aradia and Equius

How I read it... For a while. I was really, really wondering what that meant.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24524 on: March 17, 2011, 12:16:58 am »

And damn, the last things I finished reading for pleasure were Aradia and Equius

How I read it... For a while. I was really, really wondering what that meant.

Haha, yeah!  I always think of MSPA when I think of Equus, actually.  This may be because MSPA is a lot better <3

Pages: 1 ... 1633 1634 [1635] 1636 1637 ... 8155