Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1724 1725 [1726] 1727 1728 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8471255 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #25875 on: March 29, 2011, 01:50:43 pm »

You can not pay attention to them, without ignoring them.
They still might contribute to an ongoing discussion, even if you consider them hopeless.
If I'd go with your policy, I'd have two of the better known forumites on my ignore lists and wouldn't be able to experience some of them gems they posted.
I'd regret not having their posts on my screen.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #25876 on: March 29, 2011, 01:51:34 pm »

There are two problems I have with that. First of all, if I want to ignore an internet post, I really don't need a feature to help me do it. tldr syndrome and all that.
Secondly, auto-spoilering it just makes me want to read it more, even if I know it will be inane.  :-\
I just enjoy reading awful posts. Because I am a terrible person.

Plus it makes conversations hard to follow. The people you're most likely to ignore are the people that everyone is gonna argue with.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25877 on: March 29, 2011, 01:55:17 pm »

Yeah, ignore just autospoilers people's posts.

You can take your definition of censorship as far as you want, it's cool.  My definition of censorship is just narrower than yours.  I only consider it a problem when you're preventing others from seeing something that isn't your own work.
I sorta thought that was the definition, and censoring it from yourself is more like actively choosing to ignore it.

Also, I have ignored a few people who I think just try and drag the discussion down, or who seem to be completely inane or full of hate, but others I don't. Usually it's because what they have to say is so utterly wrong that if I do argue with them, I am guaranteed to be arguing with just them. And I try not to miss an opportunity to call out something that dumb. And what they say is usually hilarious.

It doesn't actually work in preventing me from seeing the posts because I just unspoiler them anyway, but it's surprisingly good at helping me fight the urge to respond to them. Any time Cowofdoom plays the devil's advocate, for example, which I think has become something of a forum joke, even if it's died down a bit now.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:58:57 pm by Jackrabbit »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25878 on: March 29, 2011, 01:56:40 pm »

You can not pay attention to them, without ignoring them.

No you can not. Not paying attention is pretty much the definition of ignoring them.

They still might contribute to an ongoing discussion, even if you consider them hopeless.

You will in no way stop them from doing so if you can not see their posts.

If I'd go with your policy, I'd have two of the better known forumites on my ignore lists and wouldn't be able to experience some of them gems they posted.
I'd regret not having their posts on my screen.

You can always take them off when needed, or even better, only ignore the ones that do not offer such benefits.

At any rate. Obviously this is not a issue for you as I had first assumed. I tried to rationalize it for you, but you do not want it to be so. This is not a bad thing, I was only mistaken in your wants.

The way you fight my point of view means you truly believe in your own, and thus I see no reason why you should change it.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25879 on: March 29, 2011, 02:01:15 pm »

Because I value humans equally and everybody is entitled to their opinion?
You can still argue, if you're unhappy with what beliefs they express ...

How are you denying their opinion if you don't look at it?

Do you seek out and read the thoughts of everyone you disagree with?
I read everyones thoughts, regardless of if I agree or not, if the topic is of any interest of me.
I don't want to narrow down my perspective, only to the opinions I agree with.
Disagreeing is fine, disrespecting is not. And for me ignoring, is a form of disrespect. That's my standpoint and I don't expect you to share it.

Somehow I remembered this, while having this discussion:
From the perspective of others I am part of the world, but when I observe the world from my perspective I am nowhere to be found. To observe is to create perspective. I can never cease to be the point of origin from my perspective. I observe that which is not myself. This is the first principle to find.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25880 on: March 29, 2011, 02:04:00 pm »

I only ignore people who have nothing better to say than... I don't really know what they say, since I'm ignoring them xP

Only in RL though. Online that kind of people usually quickly gets banned.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25881 on: March 29, 2011, 09:24:06 pm »

I have two exams on Thursady and a paper due Monday that I'm going to have to put more effort into than normal.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25882 on: March 29, 2011, 09:41:26 pm »

Playing online scrabble, my opponent got HALFWAY on the first turn and STAGINg on the fifth or sixth. 

Do you want to make me cry lady?  It seems like you want to make me cry.

I got her back by making the C word.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:43:30 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25883 on: March 29, 2011, 09:51:49 pm »

I got her back by making the C word.

counterproductiveness?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #25884 on: March 29, 2011, 10:02:43 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:57:42 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25885 on: March 29, 2011, 10:03:47 pm »

I don't know. I found it quite funny.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25886 on: March 29, 2011, 10:06:07 pm »

The Dissolution of State Government.

I ask this as an honest question, because I really do want to know.  Would you be happier not hearing about it?  Because if so, I'll drop it, I know it's a depressing ornery thread and subject for what is ultimately a very light-heated forum.

It's a conflict I've been wrestling with since I decided what to go to college for.  No matter how depressing, I'd rather know than not know, no matter that it's totally irrelevant to my life and I can't do anything about it.  But I'm me, and I've certainly turned people off in conversation with this stuff before.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #25887 on: March 29, 2011, 10:59:13 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:57:56 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #25888 on: March 29, 2011, 11:07:29 pm »

I don't mind either. But I still think we need a news subfourm or something.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #25889 on: March 29, 2011, 11:11:32 pm »

Reason to be sad = My math sucks.

Trying to figure out how many 3 letter words I can make that goes Consonant Vocal Consonant with 10 consonants to choose from and 5 vocals. I just can't get my head around it, I've arrived at 500 and 45 and I just go DUH.
Pages: 1 ... 1724 1725 [1726] 1727 1728 ... 8153