Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1938 1939 [1940] 1941 1942 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8575074 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #29085 on: April 30, 2011, 08:49:44 pm »

-Snip-

Sorry vector, you've already revealed yourself to be an interesting person. there's nothing you can do now to convince us that you're boring.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29086 on: April 30, 2011, 09:26:10 pm »

If it is any consolidation. I don’t give a flying flip Vector. In fact, I did not even read your post.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #29087 on: April 30, 2011, 09:31:45 pm »

-Snip-

Sorry vector, you've already revealed yourself to be an interesting person. there's nothing you can do now to convince us that you're boring.

She could conceivably stop putting the effort into being open on this forum that has thus far contributed greatly to the degree to which she seems interesting, because people won't stop either dismissing her experiences because they don't fit with their own worldview, or else constantly telling her there's nothing wrong with her. If I understood the post correctly, and I may well not have (and I apologize to Vector for any fuckups in this post), attempting to make her feel better by insisting that really there's nothing wrong and she's really just awesome might sound nice, but it trivializes the problems she knows exist, which is not really helpful when the issue here is incredulity about the person she actually is. I may also have misinterpreted your post, and I apologize if I did, it just came off as the sort of thing that contributes to the very problem you're trying to address.

I mean, I don't know, but it seems like if you're going to be reassuring, a better way would be to affirm that the work she's been doing wasn't in vain and that, while she's by no means obligated to continue putting that degree of effort in (especially if it's being more emotionally draining than she wants to deal with), you believe the perspectives she's offered to be valid. Instead of saying she's awesome and (jokingly, but still) putting the entertainment of other users before her own thoughts.

Incidentally, I'm sure I've not correctly translated thought to text in this post very well, so I apologize in advance for any miscommunication, and I also again apologize if I've misrepresented either Japa's or Vector's thoughts. I sure will look stupid if I've imagined all the thoughts this post is about. I also would look stupid if I've fallen into the very trap I just wrote this entire thing about.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29088 on: April 30, 2011, 09:45:27 pm »

Nah, I actually do understand where vector's coming from with this.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #29089 on: April 30, 2011, 09:52:29 pm »

Hrm. Well, do I delete the evidence of me looking stupid or leave it for posterity? A difficult question. Leaving it for now, I s'pose, in case it's still useful to somebody else, but sorry bout the misunderstanding. Today's been just full of unfortunate ones of those.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29090 on: April 30, 2011, 10:18:38 pm »

I have a fear of being rejected by people on this forum.  :(

I find it extremely strange as I don't know any of you...
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29091 on: April 30, 2011, 10:24:02 pm »

I am so exhausted...but I don't want to go to bed. *falls over*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29092 on: April 30, 2011, 11:59:29 pm »

Scared as fuck about my EOC.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29093 on: May 01, 2011, 01:45:14 am »

I just compared Resident Evil 3 to Resident Evil 4...

CAPCOM. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

HOW COULD YOU HAVE FUCKED UP SUCH A GREAT SERIES?

WHHHYYYYYY!?

Oh, for more money. I almost forgot.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:47:46 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29094 on: May 01, 2011, 01:59:42 am »

Well, there's 5 old-school Resident Evils, and by the time Zero came out, the formula was getting stale, and the efforts to wring more out of the traditional format were pretty played out. Viewed in that context, the radical shift between Zero and 4 (In order of release, the games are 1, 2, 3, CV, REmake, 0, 4, and 5) isn't as glaring as it is in retrospect.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29095 on: May 01, 2011, 02:10:36 am »

They should have ended the series at REmake. The story was dead at 3.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29096 on: May 01, 2011, 02:19:29 am »

There we disagree. While I dislike some of the directions that the story took, there were too many potential avenues to explore. 3 ended the story of Raccoon City, but Umbrella and the T-Virus had a lot more that could be done.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29097 on: May 01, 2011, 02:21:01 am »

Hmmm... You're right.

But... Umbrella went bankrupt in RE4. They (I'm pretty sure) completely disbanded in 5.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29098 on: May 01, 2011, 02:28:57 am »

Right, but they were still around for CV, and 4 very heavily implied that Umbrella wasn't dead. Then 5 revealed that Umbrella did die, but the T-virus was mass-produced with the various BOWs being widely deployed. Of course, if 5 had focused on THAT instead of Wesker and Spencer's cartoonish supervilliany, it would have been a better game.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29099 on: May 01, 2011, 02:37:34 am »

It would have also been better if it wasn't so damn short.
Pages: 1 ... 1938 1939 [1940] 1941 1942 ... 8156