Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1940 1941 [1942] 1943 1944 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8554463 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #29115 on: May 01, 2011, 05:22:16 am »

Don't be silly. I've never hallucinated before (and the ghosts before would have been impssoible for me to hallucinate anyway.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29116 on: May 01, 2011, 10:40:26 am »

You know what the only thing worse than having abysmal luck (First two blocks were deaths, one apothecaried to gouged eye.  5/3 turns in the first half had 1s as the first roll.  More failed 1-opponent dodges into safe squares than successful ones as a wood elf team)?

Playing with abysmal luck against a guy who apparently thinks this is the world championship.  He scored three times in the first half.

Seriously, I don't know why he's so intent on turning this from a hideous loss to an unrecoverable one.

Wiggly has had a change of heart.  No more Wiggly's Hugglebuddies the wood elf team.  Wiggly's Murderbuddies the Dark Elf team.

EDIT:  This is fucking ridiculous.  I know skill is more important than luck and you can't rely on the dice, but fuck these guys haven't made a single bad roll the entire game.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:46:34 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #29117 on: May 01, 2011, 01:04:44 pm »

My thoughts run to hax? I don't know how the game works, though, or if that's even possible with it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29118 on: May 01, 2011, 02:04:47 pm »

No, no...  When I'm mad I pretend that you don't make your own luck.  When I'm not mad anymore I remember that the reason I had bad luck and he had good luck was because he managed his luck well and I mismanaged mine.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29119 on: May 01, 2011, 03:34:22 pm »

Meh.

Vis-a-vis my wall-o'-post:

Thanks for your consolations, sympathies, and sigs.  Bauglir is basically correct, with the following twist: I don't actually know what is correct or incorrect, but I do know that, having had loads of people tell me what my neurological setup is without any true insight into my past or current behavior and experience, I'm a bit tired of it.

There's also the theory that certain amount of intelligence => different thought schemas and pattern, so I don't know.

The thing to me that seems strange is that I feel almost like I've learned social skills the same way I learn any other language, which usually ends up with more fluidity than most nonnative speakers and more focused analytical power than native speakers, but a certain tendency towards "jolting breakdowns" that leave me at capacity = 0 sometimes.

I can say I definitely learned quite a few social skills over the past years, and that my "initial history" had me rather disadvantaged compared to most people, with a gap that slowly increased; I never got into trouble because the "rules of engagement" were very clearly laid out for everyone.  It was things like "talk to other children" that caught me up.

So, what can I say?  It's like the diagnostic measures half-fit and half don't-fit, not in terms of elements, but in terms of time frame.  At this point I identify with the diagnosis because I have quite a bit of trouble relating to others still, with an obvious demarcation between "off" and "on" that takes a good amount of problematic time to boot up, and with "on" rather shitty in certain respects.

It's not really that important, but I'd like to be able to decide for myself, rather than being told what I am.  That's all.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29120 on: May 01, 2011, 03:37:04 pm »

Vector its a very bad idea for anyone to self diagnose themselves even with the right training.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #29121 on: May 01, 2011, 03:39:21 pm »

Vector its a very bad idea for anyone to self diagnose themselves even with the right training.
I'm going to have to agree here.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29122 on: May 01, 2011, 03:45:39 pm »

I hate the sun.

I hate how it's so damn hot and too damn bright.

And today I'm doing yard work. In Florida.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29123 on: May 01, 2011, 03:48:41 pm »

While I do have to agree with the previous two, it's certainly a step in the right direction to notice that something is not right, and getting the idea in your head of what it is.

I remember that I personally learned most of my social skills, not through testing and experimentation with other people, but through wild theorization and play acting thousands upon thousands of scenarios in my head. In my teenage years, my mom worried for me as she'd often walk in on me talking with myself as though I were two people. This has the distinct drawback in that while my personal speaking ability was much higher than your average person (from the repetitive practice), when confronted with an unexpected scenario, I'd whiplash secondguess my reasoning and simply not know what to say, leading to some rather awkward situations.

I also feel that my time here on Bay12 has helped me become a more fluent speaker (as far as context goes) and has improved my written communications in professional settings tremendously.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29124 on: May 01, 2011, 03:50:03 pm »

I'm going to have to agree here.
As all of the physiologists do, you would be doing serious harm to your mental state.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29125 on: May 01, 2011, 04:13:21 pm »

Relax a bit more. It's not the end of the world and there's no point in bringing yourself any more stress and suffering.

I was going to do a long write up but fuck it, I'm kind of in an amicably joyful mood right now and I don't feel like delving into my own hilariously-twisted psyche at the moment. I promise I will start a thread later.

But just know that there are people who go through the same sort of experiences and struggle, even if they appear perfectly normal. In that way we're all certainly not alone. :)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29126 on: May 01, 2011, 04:16:06 pm »

Ooh, if you're making a thread about twisted psyches, I'm in. Anyway, Vector, we love you how you present yourself to us. Granted, we only get what you put on our monitors, but that doesn't diminish the opinion of mine that you're one of the coolest around.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29127 on: May 01, 2011, 04:18:16 pm »

I'm really gonna get my ph.d in psychology from this place >_>

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29128 on: May 01, 2011, 04:21:15 pm »

I thought about going into psychology but I decided that field didn't need any more crazy people.  :P

So I changed from Mechanical Engineering to Sociology. Sociology always struck me as applied philosophy- cultures, groups, institutions, people, ideas...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29129 on: May 01, 2011, 04:37:12 pm »

Uristisdeadtome just got banned!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NOT URIST!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: 1 ... 1940 1941 [1942] 1943 1944 ... 8155