Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2437 2438 [2439] 2440 2441 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8636269 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #36570 on: September 07, 2011, 03:00:05 pm »

>__________>

everything tastes better fermented

AND ANYBODY WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS A TERRIBLE PERSON, AND MUST BE PURGED. WITH FIRE. THE NUCLEAR KIND. IN THE SUN.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36571 on: September 07, 2011, 03:05:42 pm »

You called?

On a related note, either Vec didn't read my PM or she declined my suggestion. Oh well.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36572 on: September 07, 2011, 03:08:36 pm »

Sauerkraut is the worst thing ever. I have German heredity, so I also declare all arguments in favor of sauerkraut invalid. [/blatentabuseofimaginarypower]
You are a dizgraze to ze Teutonic race, und you are henzeforth exzpelled! Gehen Sie aus!

Seriously, how do think Germans pull off being all dour and business-like all the time? It comes from centuries of eating sauerkraut.

Incidentally, my daughter will eat a whole can of it as a meal. Just the kraut, not even with something else. She's also a ravenous fan of turnip greens. Strange child, but I'm happy that she prefers fresh fruit and veggies to McShit Nuggets and freedom fries.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36573 on: September 07, 2011, 03:09:31 pm »

I bet it was Palate, as in the part of the mouth, and the general sense of taste.

Like I'm gonna spend the couple of seconds Googling to make sure I have the right homophone.

Anyway, back to the sad.  Applying for jobs again, oh boy.  Goddammit, how many different websites are going to ask me what my preferred job title is?  My preferred job title is any job title I can get, where's that option?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36574 on: September 07, 2011, 03:13:27 pm »

Anyway, back to the sad.  Applying for jobs again, oh boy.  Goddammit, how many different websites are going to ask me what my preferred job title is?  My preferred job title is any job title I can get, where's that option?

“Emperor”! Pick the title “Emperor”! Or “Commissar”!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36575 on: September 07, 2011, 03:13:56 pm »

"Captain" is a good one too.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36576 on: September 07, 2011, 03:16:08 pm »

“Captain Aqizzar” is good, but I like “Commissar Aqizzar” or “Admiral Aqizzar”. The best titles are either rhymes or alliterations.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #36577 on: September 07, 2011, 03:16:57 pm »

“Captain Aqizzar” is good, but I like “Commissar Aqizzar” or “Admiral Aqizzar”. The best titles are either rhymes or alliterations.
Admiral Aqizzar just makes him sound like he's about to start shouting about traps.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36578 on: September 07, 2011, 03:25:16 pm »

You may or may not have missed the whole joke there Soli.
Yup, missed it in its entirety. My brain feels a bit slow today. Going to go eat me some watermelon.

Ugh... I've got to go schedule an appointment with academic advising. Apparently taking a hiatus from school to work could screw me over for future financial aid availability, and thus my ability to continue class at University any sooner than a few years down the road. Seriously, life, I would like to be done with college before I'm 30.

Speaking with my grandfather about school this weekend, he kept telling me how he worked full time, and always made sure to budget enough credit hours to graduate on time. How he was so happy he was able to graduate on time when he met my Grandmother. How it was so important to him, his family, and his future, that he graduated on time. Graduate. Time. On.

It just might have been a subtle way of suggesting I get my ass in gear in that regard.

Sometimes, I feel lazy or incompetent for not having been able to work a full-time job and handle a regular course load... like I wasn't taking either seriously enough, and that is what led me to my problems. Like I should have held on to employment through the rougher bits, and just shuffled my courseload around, or spent more sleepless nights working. I know that I lapsed at times, and took the easy way when opportunities presented themselves, but when I was already taxing myself, it was getting harder to push myself as far as I should have gone.

Is it personal weakness on my part? Probably... but how best to address it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36579 on: September 07, 2011, 03:28:58 pm »

Admiral Aqizzar just makes him sound like he's about to start shouting about traps.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36580 on: September 07, 2011, 03:32:52 pm »

I keep saying these things and you never listen to me.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36581 on: September 07, 2011, 03:58:49 pm »

Sigged.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36582 on: September 07, 2011, 04:22:40 pm »

The next 21+ days will be identical.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36583 on: September 07, 2011, 04:28:44 pm »

Oh this is great.  I finally finished the job search application by putting "Any Job I Can Get" for my preferred title.  This particular system required calling the service center to confirm the application; no problem, sounds like a great filtering mechanism.  And of course, the service representative is required to offer information about online college courses.  I just had to open my big mouth and say "sure, I'm kinda sorta interested in going back to school."

Half an hour later, my email is flooded and my phone is ringing off the hook.  And the worst part is, the system at one of these places doesn't sound half bad.  Goddammit, I just want a job, somebody pay me a living wage to do stuff.  This is the fundamental measure of having a real life, why does everyone have to make this complicated.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36584 on: September 07, 2011, 04:31:44 pm »

I once made the mistake of speaking with one of those guys pushing 'getting further education'. That was the most bizarre, unreal conversation I've ever had. Atleast now I know there are human beings that could fail a Turing test.
Pages: 1 ... 2437 2438 [2439] 2440 2441 ... 8156