Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2439 2440 [2441] 2442 2443 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8474040 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #36600 on: September 07, 2011, 07:49:07 pm »

Had an argument with my roommate last night (he made one too many [joking] comments about female mathematicians and how the problems I was working were baby stuff--I was stuck on a problem that was driving me nuts, the last of a problem set due next week, which I did manage to solve before getting to bed)

Heh....reminds me of the story of how my parents met. My mother was working on a mathematics problem, and took it to a mutual friend, who was my father's roommate, for some help (they were in the same course). He said it was meaningless gibberish. My father walked in, and said it was useless rubbish.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36601 on: September 07, 2011, 07:54:07 pm »

This knife just refuses to sharpen. I mean it probably is getting sharper, but it just doesn't like cutting stuff for me.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36602 on: September 07, 2011, 08:28:01 pm »

My mind is a horrible clusterfuck of negativity. I should pick up getting drunk as a hobby, I would probably enjoy my life more.

EDIT: I'm not actually serious about that getting drunk thing, just thought I should make that clear.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:31:48 pm by Grimshot »
My personality profile.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #36603 on: September 07, 2011, 08:34:56 pm »

I've always thought of him as a Baron, more or less, but I'm old fashioned.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36604 on: September 07, 2011, 08:56:20 pm »

Second day of school. Went to Computer Programming and English the first time this year.

One is on one end of the MIDDLE school connected by a link on the second story. The far end.
The other is on the far end of the high school. I have to literally run (or powerwalk) to make it on time.

And the Computer Programming class shall be using Alice for the first semester. That's right, this Alice, made for what...6-year olds? I used it for a while when I was about 9-11 maybe...Blah. Then she tells us the class wasn't even necessary to take AP Computer Programming.

And then there's my graphic design class, which is just going to be boring, as I've taken a college course online for Flash, which we're using half the year. But dang, I want Adobe Illustrator now, way cooler than Inkscape. Too bad it costs hundreds of dollars. :-(

Those were my last two choices for electives :-/
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36605 on: September 07, 2011, 09:04:12 pm »

We're using MATLAB in my CSE class.  It's pathetically easy for me because I've taken four years of Electronics in High School.  Hopefully either we go into harder material or something happens because they won't let me go to a more advanced computing class until after I finish the bottom tier.  I've already told the instructor this and it's fine he says we'll be doing better stuff in the second half so I can twiddle my thumbs right now and do my other classes.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36606 on: September 07, 2011, 09:25:20 pm »

Threatened at work today, incredibly numb, homicide.

Incredibly short version:
Guy is an asshole; wife divorces him for it. Guy thinks it is my fault and seriously threatens me/office staff in office with weapon. I talk to guy and keep him busy. "See if we have any starbursts," tells secretary to call police. Should never have to say it; I do. She does; we know them; they arrive lights off. I fill out police report and refuse to talk about it, pretending to be busy. I'm not brave at all. I'm pretty sure I'm so immensely terrified I can't face it. I want to cry my eyes out and sob but can't feel anything at all. I don't watch TV, but have been staring at it for an hour and haven't turned it on.

Also, a coworker and I knew his family, though the coworker moreso than I.
Dr. Masterson is a far more humane person than I ever could be and I can't imagine his son provoked this. "Voluntary Manslaughter" usually means the victim provoked, instilled heat of passion, or engaged in mutual combat resulting in deadly force. Yes, he could be a hothead sometimes and could've been drunk in a bar, but this doesn't seem like him.

I'm just so very, very numb right now. I might be off to distract myself with alcohol or work. I really don't know.

The going numb thing is a form of disaster response... our brain dissociates feelings about something that is overwhelmingly stressful or frightening, postponing a crippling freakout in order for us to work through our problems and survive... it's a carry-over from our days dealing with threats from large predators, or too much sensory stimulation. When you catch yourself dissociating, make sure you always take time to work through the situation later on, or it can stay with you, and continue to trouble you without you knowing it.

As for the heart of the matter... I'm very sorry, Truean. Things seem like they've been really rough for you, on all angles. I can tell you that things will get better. Keep putting one foot forward... bring things up with anyone who you think could help. Seeking out a counselor of some persuasion can help you work through some of the things that have been going on in your life lately. Also, you may consider a change of tack in regard to your current career... it seems like it's bringing a lot of stress into your life.

Good luck, and hang in there. Keep on moving, and it'll always get better in time.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36607 on: September 07, 2011, 09:51:21 pm »

Just saying, and not meaning at all to be rude, but there seems to be a lot of pressure on Truean to switch careers.

I think that's something she should really decide for herself.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36608 on: September 07, 2011, 10:01:55 pm »

As a result of eating too many fruits of the citrus variety, I am finding myself incapable of eating ANY fruits without suffering slight tooth pain~
No more strawberries for me~ ;_;

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36609 on: September 07, 2011, 10:37:59 pm »

Truean mentioned looking into changing employers before, and I meant to agree that it's something to be considering. I don't want to appropriate someone's choice for them, nor mean to browbeat them for doing what they're doing... just reaffirm and empower them to think about a situation they're in when it seems to be a negative thing for them, rather than encouraging them to brush such considerations aside in favor of maintaining the status quo.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36610 on: September 07, 2011, 11:01:10 pm »

Just having one of those lonely-feeling days. Went out and bought some gaming stuff just to finally admit to myself that I don't have quite enough people to play with. By which I mean, no peoples. Lost my date for homecoming. Slowly losing the sanctuary that is Chemistry class. Haven't had a chance to get out and do anything, so I've just been stewing in this pity concoction all day.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #36611 on: September 07, 2011, 11:03:05 pm »

My existence seems to be melting. I may or may not start a company out of high school and go to college immediately or after a year or two and other things that confuse me.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #36612 on: September 07, 2011, 11:19:36 pm »

Just saying, and not meaning at all to be rude, but there seems to be a lot of pressure on Truean to switch careers.

I think that's something she should really decide for herself.

Maybe it's just me, but I cannot fathom someone undergoing years of university preparation, and of work experience, doing something which by all accounts she likes doing, just to ditch it all because of a job's adversity. I can see switching workplace, or even the particular field, but abandoning one's vocation is stretching it too much, I think.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36613 on: September 08, 2011, 01:27:17 am »

Sometimes I wish I could alter the turn of time. That I could go back, and change any one aspect of my life, and then get to witness the results of the change in the future. If I had such an ability, I wonder if I would abuse it by randomly, but subtly changing the childhoods of complete strangers, and see if they turn into different people.

I'm just so curious, I really want to know if I was destined to become the miserable and lonely person that I am.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36614 on: September 08, 2011, 01:28:48 am »

No more destined to than you are to continue being one, if that's what you are. The choices we make dictate the life we lead, starting right now.
Pages: 1 ... 2439 2440 [2441] 2442 2443 ... 8153