Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2857 2858 [2859] 2860 2861 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8577844 times)

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #42870 on: February 03, 2012, 08:44:02 pm »

I was invited to go to a reception at a museum I used to work at, the reception was today and I wasn't able to go due to lack of transportation.  I've been to enough receptions there that I know what it was going to be like, but it would have been fun nonetheless.
they're unveiling a new Pterosaur exhibit there.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42871 on: February 03, 2012, 08:55:42 pm »

My father and I often have walks at night because he doesn't get much exercise and the fresh air does the mind good. He usually gives a lecture I've heard a hundred times before and is really just him blowing off steam and rambling to himself, I usually half-listen to music.

This time around he decided he wanted to speak instead of just say things. Of his college life and his experiences. How when he was in college he never wanted to be a leader and just wanted to serve and believe in those around him. And after joining the church and making a buncha friends he was told one day that while he believes in others, he never really believed in himself. Soon after that a church leader put him in charge of a state branch, a position he was not prepared to deal with. In that position he gained the belief in himself to refuse the position so he could settle down and have a family.

Kinda eerie how much the beginning of his story parallels myself. Although I've gone through enough experiences to know this message I don't think I ever really believed it. I should probably work on that.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #42872 on: February 03, 2012, 11:00:35 pm »

I hate my life.  So my friends came over today to have fun, and so we could work on that flash game that we've never worked on ever but always promised we would make.  Predictably, they forgot something, and had to drive back home and here again (took an hour).  After that, I load up Flash, show my friend some videos of interesting stuff we could do, try to discuss concepts like an art assets list, and my friend is like "well, go do it."  Then my friends commence goofing off.  Then my friends start talking about staying the night... and I realize I don't have permission from my parents for them to stay the night.  I ask my parents, they say no.  I tell my friends, and my friends immediately start packing up and grumble about the entire trip being a waste of time.  Apparently, by "coming over" they mean "stay the night too!"  So my friends sit around and be silly for a few hours, then leave.

And no, I can't just go with my friends because my mom won't let me.  Specifically because I already made a deal with her concerning our family vacation, which I hate going to.  I'm leaving the vacation two days early (she originally wanted me to stay four straight days, and miss a freaken' day of college) to do three days of homework in one day, yay.  That's all she would give me.  So we're going to drive for hours to the Pacific beach and stay at a house there.  Which is a joke.  Why?  WE ARE GOING TO THE BEACH, IN WASHINGTON, IN FEBRUARY.  Even worse, we always go with elderly family friends who my mom always complains about (but invites anyway) because they're going freaken' senile!  And now, my brother and his wife (I don't like his wife) and my uncle and his autistic teenage son are going too.  That cousin of mine is like a foot taller than me at age 14 (I'm 24) and his only mode of communication is clapping his hands and making odd noises.  I don't mind him, but would rather not spend the weekend with him.  And my older brother's schizophrenia has been flaring up real bad, so he's gonna be a problem no matter where we go.  And you know what?  I'd rather stay at home and do homework.  The better I do on my homework, the more progressively skilled I"ll be at moving the (*&^& out.

I thought I had a normal family.  Well mostly normal, maybe a little prudish.  Now I'm wondering how we managed to turn into the Beverly Hillbillies ._.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42873 on: February 04, 2012, 02:30:16 am »

My abusive grandmother is spending another night here.  I really don't have the energy to be my mother's emotional sink (as I have been acting as my roommate's emotional sink all week), and she doesn't seem to understand that idea.

I mean, things are mostly going well, but I'm mondo stressed.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42874 on: February 04, 2012, 02:34:09 am »

I'm just kinda feeling down lately. I don't really know how to explain it.

I should go eat in the best dining room I can find or stand under a waterfall or something.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42875 on: February 04, 2012, 10:29:34 am »

Dear GOD. My brother didn't have to tell me that I will be humiliated for using buffy-speak on college, and insult me about it. Then he goes on a rant on why I'll be incompetent always in college.

And because I already have oh so much self-esteem issues on top of what he said, I feel like a loser. Or maybe I am, can't tell it myself.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42876 on: February 04, 2012, 10:46:57 am »

Buffy-speak at college?

what?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42877 on: February 04, 2012, 10:48:17 am »

I use Buffy Speak all the damn time. What is your brother on?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42878 on: February 04, 2012, 10:49:32 am »

The hell is buffy speak?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42879 on: February 04, 2012, 10:51:33 am »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BuffySpeak

EDIT: Oh yeah, TV Tropes warning by the way.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:54:07 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42880 on: February 04, 2012, 10:55:31 am »

Depends on the crowd. It's not always an endearing trait.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42881 on: February 04, 2012, 10:56:26 am »

Sounds like his bro has some personal issues about college. I know many people who have been to college and are morons and many who haven't and are genius'.

Don't worry about what your insecure brother says, it's all on you and what you want out of life, not him.

Depends on the crowd. It's not always an endearing trait.

It's a well known psychological fact that people talk differently depending on who they're talking to. Maybe his brother is a moron and his brain is adjusting his language so he understands :P

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42882 on: February 04, 2012, 02:27:12 pm »

I don't see how the connection from moron to brother comes about here. Somebody is using their experience to help out and/or falling prey to some personal business. It's a kinda sucky thing to be subjected to, but it takes a sucky situation in the first place to cause that.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42883 on: February 04, 2012, 02:44:12 pm »

I think it kind of depends on if it follows a pattern that shows the speaker is trying to be cool, rather than having actual speaking difficulty.  People who are entirely coherent when they want to be but employ deliberately obfuscating speech to make the same flat jokes over and over again really make me rage, kind of like the people who can't stop spouting quotations and memes as an integral part of their speech because they can't bother to take a risk and say something they invented themselves.

On the other hand, if you're just inarticulate or tend to make up a lot of new words, I wouldn't worry.

I've had night sweats over the past two days, to the point of practically ripping my nightshirt off of my body because I was so hot.  Damn annoying.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #42884 on: February 04, 2012, 02:52:34 pm »

Angry and scared at myself.  I flew into a rage and broke some things.  Just like my grandmother used to do when she was mad.  Just like my mom still does on occasion when she's mad.  I feel like an idiot.
Pages: 1 ... 2857 2858 [2859] 2860 2861 ... 8156