Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3078 3079 [3080] 3081 3082 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8574073 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #46185 on: April 27, 2012, 07:02:15 pm »

So I'm kind of becoming a bit of a bitter bitch and I don't like it. Sure, I've got plenty of reasons to be, legitimate ones even. Still....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46186 on: April 27, 2012, 07:06:18 pm »

So I'm kind of becoming a bit of a bitter bitch and I don't like it. Sure, I've got plenty of reasons to be, legitimate ones even. Still....

o_o I still think at least your insides will be warm and soft and plushy....

... and I also don't think that was the best choice of words.

But really, do you think you're bitter to the core? o_O

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46187 on: April 27, 2012, 07:19:36 pm »

Dunno. Part of me hopes not; part of me doesn't feel. Probably wasn't the best choice of words, just brutally honest. I have numerous reasons to be mad, but I don't want to be.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:21:29 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46188 on: April 27, 2012, 07:20:44 pm »

From out here, you seem like much the same loveable person you have been, but I have noticed you snapping at things more often. If I were to venture a guess, you're angry about some things you deal with regularly, and that anger is bleeding over into other parts of your life.

Anger is our natural way of overriding our Empathy so we can do things that are in our best interest, despite the knowledge that it may hurt people. It's a survival instinct, and a pretty effective one when you have to fight to survive. Though it's not always adaptive for the modern world, it's good to recognize when things make you angry, and use that as a reason to consider things as they are. That anger you feel about something might well be misplaced from anger felt about something else which you don't feel you can (or perhaps don't want to) change.

If you think something in your life or position is making you angry or unhappy, you might want to take some time to reflect on things good and bad, and consider adjusting your course accordingly.

Those are my 2 drachmae.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46189 on: April 27, 2012, 07:23:53 pm »

That's the weirdest thing I've ever seen you type, Skyrunner.

And yeah, I agree with the upside down cat.  The purpose of economic success is to enable happiness.  If you're doing great at your job, but it's making you an unhappy person--or worse, a bitter person who expects to stay unhappy for a long time...well, it's at least worth thinking about how you can tweak your situation to allow yourself to be happy.  Ideally a small tweak, but maybe a large one.  It's the important thing in life after all.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46190 on: April 27, 2012, 07:27:23 pm »

My advice would be to find methods of stress relief unrelated to work or lashing out at people.

Most people's bad behavior isn't intrinsic jackassery but just letting off steam, and I suspect such is what's causing you to be a "bitter bitch." Finding productive (and varied!) methods to relieve stress is important.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46191 on: April 27, 2012, 08:13:38 pm »

Come up to MI, Truean! I can teach you some kickboxing and knockvent some steam off of you.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #46192 on: April 27, 2012, 08:30:45 pm »

Today has been a very "ugh" type day.  Got up early to meet up with my video game design group to do classwork and to fill in our sixth group member.  Turns out no one was showing up because the sixth member wasn't responding to texts.  Apparently all the folks who live close to the meeting spot were communicating but they didn't tell me about the problem until I was already there, and I have to commute.  I spent the day on the school computers doing some homework but not really finishing anything.  Sixth person never responded, never showed up.  He's already been a flake up until now, I really want to consider this the last straw and tell him to take a hike.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #46193 on: April 27, 2012, 09:41:57 pm »

It's probable the issues you're concerned about them supporting flew under your relative's radar. So, ignorance. Or if they do know about those issues and still support them, they might not know the full consequences (which would again be ignorance). Ignorance (at least in my world view) isn't a cause for loss of respect unless it's willful.

Yeah, I agree.  I do take ignorance into account.  I would give my wife's grandmother a pass on that one, but not her grandfather, who is a very intelligent guy, does his research, and is very authoritarian.  I've witnessed him expressing some deeply bigoted sentiments, but I haven't spent enough time around him to know just how convicted he is about them... but his support for Santorum strikes me as a strong indicator.

And I don't know that any of my relatives were Santorum supporters, but the whole thing made me wonder.  I've always found everyone in my own extended family to be incredibly nice, but the older I get, the more I question whether I would still find them so under different circumstances.  I'm pale/blonde/blue eyed/middle class/absolutely everything that doesn't get discriminated against in America based on appearances and conspicuous social standing.  Some of them have given me reasons to believe that the atmosphere wouldn't be so warm if I were identifiable to them as anything outside of their straight and narrow.  Simply being quietly non-religious has caused significant friction at times.

Of course I don't let these things disrupt harmony at gatherings, but I usually spend most of my time on those occasions tucked away in a corner with some books and music partly for that reason.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46194 on: April 27, 2012, 10:40:54 pm »

Saw a certain 2ch thread about a man stalking Denko. It makes me sad that such a thing is plausible and sounds perfectly able to happen. Even if it's a troll, it still makes me sad.
Both the stalker and the stalkee make me sad >.>

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46195 on: April 28, 2012, 12:29:44 am »

I just recently finished the Colosseum portion of Golden Sun, and I'm really disappointed by it. I like the way it was structured, incorporating puzzles and equipment that the participants have to race to get along with traditional fighting, but I don't like how your character is encouraged to cheat his ass off to win. I did cheat when I didn't have to, just because I thought it was a cool mechanic, but it really detracts from the idea that your character is a hero when he really didn't even need to win, but insists on giving himself such an unfair advantage. And when you win, nobody ever makes a big deal out of it, you're the hero so you deserve it, not that you're the cheating bastard that you are.

Other than that, I really didn't like how the Colosseum area is just so short and tame, especially when the game has been hyping it up for the last several towns and hours of gameplay. I was hoping for something longer and more challenging.

And you don't even get a really good prize for winning either, I got more and better stuff throwing coins into the town's fountain.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:31:22 am by JoshuaFH »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46196 on: April 28, 2012, 02:03:23 am »

I think I had a chance last night, not terribly sure but It might have gone well have I had the guts to do it X(

Probably won't see her for a few days now and shortly after that she's off to a competition for a week, blergh.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46197 on: April 28, 2012, 12:19:13 pm »

I've got sticky white glue on my fingertips, and it's taking quite a while to totally remove.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #46198 on: April 28, 2012, 12:22:49 pm »

Eri Kawai's cover of the theme song to Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I've always said I've wanted my death, whatever it is, to have an epic soundtrack, and I don't think you can get better than this one.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46199 on: April 28, 2012, 12:23:48 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G8DNGh126oM

Sad and disappointed in the U.S. Educational system
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.
Pages: 1 ... 3078 3079 [3080] 3081 3082 ... 8156