Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3925 3926 [3927] 3928 3929 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8617999 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #58890 on: March 11, 2013, 12:23:00 am »

Unless this person is also whiny and doesn't like things going any way but His Way, there are plenty of recourses at your disposal. If it's a realistic world, dole out realistic consequences. If you're a good character, stab him in the gut. Rape is a perfectly good casus belli. The GM also has plenty of ways to deal with an evil character in a good party.

Good DMs and good players are flexible. They find in-game solutions to these problems (barring of course, the problem being the player is whiny).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:24:35 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #58891 on: March 11, 2013, 12:28:33 am »

You could always, if you feel like messing about, say that your character molests him during the night. Every time his character goes to sleep. Then put up the excuse "Hey, my character's gay. It's good roleplaying."

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #58892 on: March 11, 2013, 12:30:48 am »

Because, as we all know, gay men uncontrollably molest helpless unconscious men whenever they get the chance

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58893 on: March 11, 2013, 12:31:51 am »

And because we all know that 15-year-old boys uncontrollably molest helpless women whenever they get the chance.

It's just as realistic, really.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58894 on: March 11, 2013, 12:32:57 am »

Good point.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58895 on: March 11, 2013, 12:33:10 am »

High libido != rapist, as well.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58896 on: March 11, 2013, 12:34:16 am »

See, the problem is apparently that he doesn't have any real attachment to this character; and more than that, he didn't do a very good job building, so there's not that much we can do to get him engaged with what's going on.  That, and he keeps on making us stop at really inopportune moments (five minutes before a battle would be over, whatever) to take a break.  I haven't been getting too involved because we've only had two sessions, my character isn't all that Shiny Good, and I've been sort of trying to let him have some space to play so that he can develop out of that.  But I'm going to change what I'm doing soon.

And he's apparently decided that his next character will be a "super-hardass lesbian bitch," which probably isn't going to work much better than what he's playing right now.

Anyway, the DM is going to talk to him, I'm just complaining right now.

You could always, if you feel like messing about, say that your character molests him during the night. Every time his character goes to sleep. Then put up the excuse "Hey, my character's gay. It's good roleplaying."

My character's a 40-year-old female mathematician with tenure and a 14-year-old ex-daughter (long story).  Anyway, next week she'll hopefully spend less of the non-combat part of the session plastered, so things will be a little bit easier to keep in hand.

High libido != rapist, as well.

Exactly.  It's just getting really, really awkward and bad at this point.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58897 on: March 11, 2013, 12:37:35 am »

See, the DM is the final word. An argument between players is always worse then simply just asking the DM to have a word if he agrees with what you're saying. If he doesn't, then you're going to have to put up with it.

On another note, A fact I learned from an Elmore Leonard novel is that most sex crimes are usually doled out as "punishment" to the victim rather then actually trying to experience sexual pleasure.

The more you know!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58898 on: March 11, 2013, 12:37:57 am »

Why don't you hand the sexual deviant over to the police in-character. Or, you know, just fuckin' kill him. Is your character really the type that would sit idly by while sexual abuse occurs?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58899 on: March 11, 2013, 12:41:15 am »

I imagine a mathemican not murdering someone often, though, but I can see her talking with the other characters and go "Listen, we have to deal with [NAME]." if stuff can't get solved. If stuff can't get sorted out OOC and the sexual abuse stuff isn't retconed.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58900 on: March 11, 2013, 12:48:04 am »

See, the DM is the final word. An argument between players is always worse then simply just asking the DM to have a word if he agrees with what you're saying. If he doesn't, then you're going to have to put up with it.

He agrees.  He was the one who brought it up in the first place.

Why don't you hand the sexual deviant over to the police in-character. Or, you know, just fuckin' kill him. Is your character really the type that would sit idly by while sexual abuse occurs?

Well, let's see.  We'd just seen a bunch of people and animals sacrificed to an enormous tentacle-monster-god in order to get our ship safe passage, the ship was sabotaged from someone onboard unbeknownst to us so the shields went down, and then we had a big fuckin' fight that involved the destruction of five enemy airplanes, various people being squished into goop on the decks, and my accidentally half-killing the captain of the ship with a railgun.  I was down to 1 HP, having until about a week ago done nothing more dangerous than send graduate students scathing emails and generally being a deadbeat, and went down to the hold to get very, very drunk.  This was instead of doing something useful such as, say, repairing the shields or the command console, both of which I would have been able to do better than anyone else on board (I'm playing a glass cannon across the field, so almost no resolve, composure, stamina, etc., and I'd exhausted all available reserves of willpower by continuing to man the railgun after having been nearly killed by enemy aircraft).

Then I came up and he was molesting the prisoner who had been brainwashed to sabotage us.  I managed to get him to stop, but perhaps you understand why she wasn't as focused on the molestation after everything else.

So yeah, I'm going to figure out what to do before the next session, but I was kind of distracted.  There's one other character (who wasn't even here this session!) and we haven't exactly done that whole gelling-as-a-team thing just yet.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58901 on: March 11, 2013, 12:59:12 am »

Well from where I'm sitting it sort of sounds like either A) he could stand to be sat down in a room with someone like my friend who was rather... sex crazed, and see what it's like when someone constantly inserts innuendo or sex themed jokes or whatever into everything. Or B) he needs to stop taking the piss.

... The "super-hardass lesbian bitch" thing wasn't a jab at you was it?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58902 on: March 11, 2013, 01:02:13 am »

No, it wasn't--he basically decided he'd play Jake from Mass Effect.

This guy isn't bad.  I think he just isn't really into putting a lot of effort into role-playing, and doesn't know how, and doesn't care to know.

Needs to decide to stop taking the piss, but I'm leaning towards "leave" because he really doesn't seem to be actually interested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58903 on: March 11, 2013, 01:04:18 am »

Ugh, really annoying guy dicking around and fucking up a roleplaying campaign I like.  Basically, he's going the whole "molest unconscious women" route in a rather realistic world, and keeps on trying to pass it off as "hey, I'm playing a horny 15-year-old, wouldn't you?"

He's probably going to get kicked out of the group, or at least talked to =/
I don't do tabletops, but I've heard several stories about these kind of things happening. Even one where the DM was the one who went sex-crazy and tried to hijack the entire group into it. I say kick him out, these things rarely are resolved any other way.
And he's apparently decided that his next character will be a "super-hardass lesbian bitch," which probably isn't going to work much better than what he's playing right now.
I reiterate: he's clearly unsalvigable.
My character's a 40-year-old female mathematician
I never would have guessed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58904 on: March 11, 2013, 01:14:53 am »

Yeah, I'm expecting him to leave; hopefully he'll leave in such a way that we can remain friends, because he's honestly pretty fun to be around and a good guy most of the time.

As far as my character choice... I know.  The thing is, though, we've got a physicist playing a physicist, a biologist playing a biologist, and a mathematician playing a mathematician.  Our personalities aren't that similar to the folks we're playing but this particular game is based on scientific invention, so having knowledge of the underlying fields in question really helps.  That pre-determined a lot of stuff about how we built ourselves.

Pages: 1 ... 3925 3926 [3927] 3928 3929 ... 8156