Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3966 3967 [3968] 3969 3970 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8573110 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #59505 on: March 22, 2013, 04:55:59 pm »

Both, probably. However, it's not unlikely that biological changes as a result of hormones wouldn't have any effect on the human brain.

WIKIDUMP

Oh, and wherether they are caused by nature or nurture, the differences are there and won't go away by ignoring them.

I have gay friends that would contest any "men aren't complicated" claim quite aggressively.

@ebbor: I don't see why statistic/"brain scan" methods rule out the possibility of learned behavior.
When did I say that? I just stated that the average male (group) has a tendency to speak less, form leader structures easier and is better at abstract reasoning.

Because male and women in similair situations/ upbringin/jobs still show significant changes* in brain structuring and usage when asked different type of questions.

Link

*We're talking about things like language and such being handled by entirely different parts of the human brain, and such.

Isn't there something like a 70% difference in the amount of connections between the left and right hemispheres of the brain for men and women? I forget which way round it is but I'm pretty sure that it's a thing.
Unaware of that. What I do now is that the connections made are different. For example, females activate both hemispheres for language, rather than just the left. (or was it right, can't remember)

Other things are that the male brain is significantly heavier/larger, but also less efficient with connections.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:58:13 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #59506 on: March 22, 2013, 05:14:22 pm »

TO THE DISCUSSION THREAD WITH YE
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #59507 on: March 22, 2013, 05:18:04 pm »

TO THE DISCUSSION THREAD WITH YE
I don't wanna go.  :'(

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59508 on: March 23, 2013, 04:28:21 am »

Head is hurt. :( Bluh. Not enough sleep.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59509 on: March 23, 2013, 07:07:30 am »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59510 on: March 23, 2013, 11:11:08 am »

I think maybe this would go better in the WFT thread. Because seriously.
What the fuck did I just read?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59511 on: March 23, 2013, 12:12:52 pm »

I want you all to know that currently my situation is going downhill worse than ever. I just moved my home address.

It looks like there will be no discussion. Isnt it scary how someone can he brainwashed and manipulated by her own parents to destroy a family and lives of 3 people, including hers?

As sad as it is, I've came to the conclusion that shes more or less beyond my help. I've more or less found peace of mind now, at least compared to the situation a couple of days ago.

The next step from my behalf will be a series of lawsuits.

EDIT: that also means that I'm going to give myself some therapy in the form of, but not limited to(of course!), computer gaming and probably writing another Lets Play some time in the future. Perhaps not near future, but for my own sanity I cant continue to think about things I cant help, be they how bad as they are, even when they touching the people I love the most.

My girl is beyond my help now.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:21:52 pm by Erkki »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #59512 on: March 23, 2013, 12:34:40 pm »

Brainwashed?!

Oh dear. O_o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59513 on: March 23, 2013, 02:05:53 pm »

Man. . . my cousin asked me to help me with some questions for a psychological development course (things he needed for a final paper), but it ended up being a whole lot of questions that had to do with self-esteem and friend-making and bullying and stuff like that, and now he knows all about my self-esteem that vacillates between crushingly low and stupidly high and a whole bunch of other stuff and I'm afraid to check my email because I'm worried he'll be like "gee, you're more of a horrible person than I even thought you were, why do you feel so sorry for yourself over nothing."

Dammit.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59514 on: March 23, 2013, 03:54:36 pm »

After three months I've took a cigarette, I've felt I've needed it, not sure why, just been feeling down for the past week or so, needed this thing to bring me to a rather big low, hopefully this'll force me to start an upwards journey, kinda, I hope.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59515 on: March 23, 2013, 06:15:48 pm »

not sure why
Your body telling you you need it. The question is do you really?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59516 on: March 23, 2013, 07:09:00 pm »

Nope, but I'm on the verge of depression for whatever stupid reason and I need a target for all the guilt and some source of happiness, however small it is. Gonna have to tell certain people about it, again, no matter how bad it might seem to them (being an extreme hypocrite about this shit). Oh well, hopefully next time, I make it over four months without any shit that makes go over the smoking threshold :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59517 on: March 23, 2013, 07:12:20 pm »

You made it a long time, it's steps. Steps all the way, steps going forward. You're doing all right!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59518 on: March 23, 2013, 07:13:46 pm »

Man, finding play by post games of any traditional tabletop (Pathfinder/dnd, GURPS, anything they play down in FG&RP) to join is tough, and scheduling is always a nightmare :( I'd run one but I'm not known for my tenacity in running play by post games.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #59519 on: March 23, 2013, 07:44:57 pm »

GiTP has huge numbers of play-by-post games.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 3966 3967 [3968] 3969 3970 ... 8156