Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3975 3976 [3977] 3978 3979 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8577982 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #59640 on: March 26, 2013, 04:08:08 pm »

Eesh. Y'all poor folks. Worst the caf at th'place I did the bachelors at was somehow fuck up rice. Which is one of those things I still can't figure out. How the hell do you make rice that tastes worse than microwaved rice? And like, bad brands for it (some can microwave decently. We're talking the ones that can't.).

Rice is one of those foods that are just incredibly difficult to mess up. Put rice in boiling water. Reduce heat. Wait. Done. This isn't rocket science or arcane alchemy. And yet somehow, some way, they buggered it up. Boggles the goddamn mind.

Everything else (that I ate, anyway) was pretty alright. Even the themed days. Lucky me, I guess. Helped that if you got it to go you could usually stuff in enough food to feed you for an extra day or so.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59641 on: March 26, 2013, 04:31:18 pm »

Nice would be telling you -why- she's ignoring you. What she's doing now is, at best, benevolent dickishness.

@MZ, yes, I agree. But why did you say that after quoting that particular segment. Doesn't seem to go together.
I forgot to delete some. I meant to say, "Oh, it would be cool if we could all get together sometime and hang out as people with a common interest, and not have to put up with the same ol' shit like Truean is doing at the moment."

How many midwesterners do we have?  We're sort of a minority on here, aren't we?
Toledo, here.
Minnesota, here.  We midwesterners are always watching.  Always.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59642 on: March 26, 2013, 05:37:01 pm »

Yeah, as Max said I'm in the Midwest too. My place is a bit small to have any number of people over, but I know some great restaurants and pubs in the Ann Arbor Michigan region that could handle a meet-up.

Is an unburnt feta and spinach too much to ask?
If they have comment cards like ours did, you can do something like we used to do:

1. Make a pentagram on your plate out of ketchup.
2. Place inedible object in the center, stabbed with a knife (and preferably a bit of ketchup around the "wound")
3. Note on the comment card that you are presenting "burnt offerings to the Dark Lord".
4. Place the whole arrangement on your tray and send it on the conveyor belt back to the kitchen.
5. ???
6. Profit!

Can I just say that if I saw that come back to my kitchen, I would not even mind?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #59643 on: March 26, 2013, 05:41:26 pm »

Could I just quickly get this straight: Is the Midwest in the eastern half of the US?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59644 on: March 26, 2013, 05:46:19 pm »

Could I just quickly get this straight: Is the Midwest in the eastern half of the US?
Depends upon who you ask, but this is the most widely accepted division of the regions.

Though there are those with a....slightly different analysis.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #59645 on: March 26, 2013, 05:51:24 pm »

Usually the way that I see it divided is as it was divided in that regions map, though many times I see the four corners states (AZ, UT, CO, NM), Texas, and Nevada termed as the "Southwest".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #59646 on: March 26, 2013, 09:25:45 pm »

Seems I came across another disowned gay kid....

I think it's perhaps the fact that I hang around the particularly terrible parts of town. Who knows.

I had the displeasure of speaking to his parents, as more of a courtesy to them than anything else. They were ... less than civil.... It made my day "extra special." I really didn't have much choice than to drop him off at Children's Services.... The parents were none too pleased at this information, which, quite frankly, I didn't have to tell them about. What can I say, I am none too pleased that this kinda crap keeps on happening.

They actually threatened that THEY would report ME....  ??? (Note, I cannot fathom what for).

"Madam, would you like to take a moment to think about what you've just said given that I found your minor child, whom you have a duty to support, living in the street and saying you've tossed him out of your home?"

Yeah, it's been that kinda day....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59647 on: March 26, 2013, 09:53:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure someone I went to middle school with just death-by-train'd himself.

We were going to hang out together in two days, play some laser tag and stuff.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:55:19 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #59648 on: March 26, 2013, 10:09:02 pm »

...damn.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59649 on: March 26, 2013, 10:25:57 pm »

The last few posts. :/

Truean, shitty people are always going to be out there, doing shitty things to other people. You're doing a world of good by helping the shitty situations they create work out for the better. Every time you do that, even just for an individual here or there, the good radiates out from those people you've helped, and goes on to make other shitty things get better too. It's like butterflies wings leading to hurricanes, just with human decency.

Vector, if that turns out to be the case, I really don't know what to say. I'm sorry. Saddest thing someone can do is discard themselves like that. No matter how bad, difficult, or painful things may seem, as long as you're still alive you still have the chance to make it better. I hope his family and friends can find peace, you included.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59650 on: March 26, 2013, 10:35:01 pm »

Well, you know.  That's how things go.  I'm all right.  Getting pretty used to this.

Vector, if that turns out to be the case, I really don't know what to say. I'm sorry. Saddest thing someone can do is discard themselves like that. No matter how bad, difficult, or painful things may seem, as long as you're still alive you still have the chance to make it better. I hope his family and friends can find peace, you included.

I'm trying to get information from some people who might have been in more recent contact, but I've confirmed that this fellow who killed himself is the only person of the same name who graduated from my school district in the correct year.  So either my friend moved back to England after middle school (I don't think that was what was happened) or he's dead.

Well, anyway, like I said--it's just another dead guy, not all that exciting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #59651 on: March 26, 2013, 10:44:16 pm »

Depends upon who you ask, but this is the most widely accepted division of the regions.

I never thought of that vertical line of states from North Dakota to Kansas as the midwest.  I would also add Kentucky.  But my mental map isn't really based off of anything.  I guess my midwest is a slightly expanded Great Lakes Region.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59652 on: March 26, 2013, 10:46:05 pm »

No, actually, I'm not okay.  Whatever.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59653 on: March 26, 2013, 10:47:26 pm »

I never thought of that vertical line of states from North Dakota to Kansas as the midwest.  I would also add Kentucky.  But my mental map isn't really based off of anything.  I guess my midwest is a slightly expanded Great Lakes Region.
None of the regional maps are based off of anything. Anything objective, anyway. It's all a cultural analysis and is expected to vary person-to-person.

I myself think the West should stop at Nevada, and have everything from there to Michigan be the Midwest.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #59654 on: March 26, 2013, 10:54:09 pm »

I'd put a diagonal line through Kentucky and count the NW half as the Midwest and the SE half as the South.
Pages: 1 ... 3975 3976 [3977] 3978 3979 ... 8156