Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4067 4068 [4069] 4070 4071 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8578267 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #61020 on: April 30, 2013, 12:41:24 pm »

http://www.demon-sushi.com/warning/mee.html
Sad story right here.

Dubious as to its truthfulness, but still sad.

EDIT: Wait that was totally the wrong link. I am a derp.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 01:37:13 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61021 on: April 30, 2013, 01:35:10 pm »

I am becoming more and more convinced that I am one of those "people who want to watch the world burn".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #61022 on: April 30, 2013, 01:49:53 pm »

* Loud Whispers painfully regrets sleeping on clenched fist.

I am becoming more and more convinced that I am one of those "people who want to watch the world burn".
Why so? Most of the things others would use to justify world burnination strengthen my headache-ridden resolve. It'd be interesting to hear from the other side of the sad grey grass.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61023 on: April 30, 2013, 02:28:47 pm »

http://www.demon-sushi.com/warning/mee.html
Sad story right here.

Dubious as to its truthfulness, but still sad.

EDIT: Wait that was totally the wrong link. I am a derp.

I... waitwaitwait, what?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61024 on: April 30, 2013, 02:38:46 pm »

Why so? Most of the things others would use to justify world burnination strengthen my headache-ridden resolve. It'd be interesting to hear from the other side of the sad grey grass.
That's a question that should receive a very, very, very long and detailed answer.  However, I can't be arsed to give it.  So, instead:
5% - Schadenfreude
95% - Humanity is (on the whole) an irredeamable blight on the planet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #61025 on: April 30, 2013, 03:01:07 pm »

Luckily nobody other baby geesus cares about humanity.

Woohoo problem solved.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #61026 on: April 30, 2013, 03:07:49 pm »

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:10:18 pm by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #61027 on: April 30, 2013, 03:58:10 pm »

95% - Humanity is (on the whole) an irredeamable blight on the planet.
Today I've had two people try to convince me there is something wrong about me not wanting to murder my own father. And kittens. They talked about kittens. Lots of insults, lots of immature vitriol, plenty of downright cruel hugboxing.
There is a fair bit of context missing, but I still find this not as soul crushingly grave as it should be. Patience, self control, self reflection. Make yourself a better person, you benefit yourself much more than turning yourself into another cog of the hate machine.

If you can stare down strife and build against the tide what does it say about you?
If you can stare down the void and find the easy path to destruction what does it say about you?

It's the difference between those who build those wonderful towers of cards and those who knock them down.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #61028 on: April 30, 2013, 04:02:47 pm »

Speaking of irredeemable blight...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61029 on: April 30, 2013, 04:35:29 pm »

Make yourself a better person, you benefit yourself much more than turning yourself into another cog of the hate machine.
Who defines what a "better" person is?  You?  Me?  The majority?  Someone's definition of "god"?

Why is hate implied to be bad or undesirable?  I posit that "cog(s) of the hate machine" are the ones who are most willing to go out and change the world. 

If you can stare down strife and build against the tide what does it say about you?
If you can stare down the void and find the easy path to destruction what does it say about you?
It says that I'm succeptable to believing in bullshit platitudes.

It's the difference between those who build those wonderful towers of cards and those who knock them down.
Even when those wonderful towers of cards are being built by slave labor? 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #61030 on: April 30, 2013, 04:48:06 pm »

Who defines what a "better" person is?  You?  Me?  The majority?  Someone's definition of "god"?
Think long and hard about it. You'll come to a conclusion eventually. Part of how you define it also defines what you find to make things better.

Why is hate implied to be bad or undesirable?  I posit that "cog(s) of the hate machine" are the ones who are most willing to go out and change the world.
I posit that intense hate is the symptom to a broken and hostile life. Hate can indeed give people the resolve to change the world, but it's rarely for the right intentions nor with the outcome that doesn't foster more hate, death and suffering.

It says that I'm succeptable to believing in bullshit platitudes.
Then forget all existing moral philosophies and begin anew.

Even when those wonderful towers of cards are being built by slave labor?
[If the analogy here works, it is that the towers can only be built by what is right. So going down that road would have more in common with watching the towers fall].

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61031 on: April 30, 2013, 04:55:46 pm »

Shakerag,

You seem to be defining people as evil because they hurt others. And your solution to this is... hurting others? And not just the evil others, but all of them.

Doesn't follow.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61032 on: April 30, 2013, 05:24:25 pm »

Nevermind.  There is no point in discussing this, and I shouldn't have said anything in the first place. 

Tuck_Lion

• Bay Watcher
  • pass the lodestar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61033 on: April 30, 2013, 10:13:57 pm »

Nevermind.  There is no point in discussing this, and I shouldn't have said anything in the first place.
Feeling a little threatened?
Chill out a little bit. The conversations been had and said, you're right; apparently you've not memorized all of them and that's why you get the opportunity to experience this occasion first hand, yourself.

Let's get things straight first - your voice inflection doesn't exist here on the Internet, so you're not allowed to be vague. Ever. Or leave anything undefined.

So start off by telling us all what a bad person is.
Bay12 pushed self into fruit math. Tuck Lion was just the mechanism for bay12's latent fruit-math fetish.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61034 on: May 01, 2013, 12:18:10 am »

Feeling pretty frustrated.  I have a (very easy) coding exam for a job I want.  The kicker is that they want me to write code in Java.  I can tell that it's easy!  I have a good idea of how I'd do it in Python!  However.

I do not know Java.  There is Java on my resume and I have no idea why I put it there, because I obviously do not know Java and having a tiny bit of experience with Java five years ago is not enough to say I know "some Java."  It would probably be easy for me to learn Java, but I do not know any Java.

I'm a moron and I need to learn some more humility.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 4067 4068 [4069] 4070 4071 ... 8156