Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4088 4089 [4090] 4091 4092 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8577523 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #61335 on: May 02, 2013, 01:21:39 pm »

I don't like "lazy" as a term, really, and am not fully convinced it exists as a genuine concept and not an excuse to look down on people.

The general behaviors described as "lazy" would be more aptly called either "short sighted" or "selfish." Those who put things off not caring about future consequences of doing so are short sighted. Those who put responsibility on others so they don't have to do it themselves are selfish. Anything else called "lazy" is pretty much bullshit and not worth concern (like not bothering to iron your shirts or something).

Anyway, I was called "lazy" because I spent 4 hours on a piece of homework that would take a normal person 30 minutes. I cannot focus on a task that I'm not interested in. I am physically incapable of doing so.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61336 on: May 02, 2013, 01:36:21 pm »

Those who put things off not caring about future consequences of doing so are short sighted.
I do this. Incredibly badly. It's not like I don't understand it's bad; I just find it really difficult to care about anything at all if it's more than a week away, and still pretty difficult if it's more than a day.
My teachers have always disliked me for that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #61337 on: May 02, 2013, 01:46:37 pm »

Once again, I think an international Bay12 convent for the abused and depressed is a good idea.

:'(
Possibly, but only if we come up with a better name...
Toady's Home for Alcoholic-Challenged Dwarves? :P
I'm pretty bad at naming things.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61338 on: May 02, 2013, 02:04:43 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:21:41 pm by Ogdibus »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #61339 on: May 02, 2013, 02:34:14 pm »

Schizophrenics go to Forum Games and Roleplaying. Paranoid Schizo go to the Mafia subforum.

Wolfeyez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61340 on: May 02, 2013, 02:43:25 pm »

Between the hypersexuality, the depression from repressing the hypersexuality and the pure rage I feel on any given day. My emotional state is a wild card everyday.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61341 on: May 02, 2013, 02:46:53 pm »

I'm just honestly not sure that anyone would care. Not sure that anyone should care. I mean, the last thing I want to do is bring you all down because I'm a horribly broken person.
I'm here to reinforce that people (at least some) do, in fact, care. It's a horrible tragedy in the cases where friends/family don't care; if you respect us as friends, then don't assume us such monsters.
it would seem this forum is a special lot then, reality doesnt care for the most part so IMO its better to learn to pick yourself up just in case.

Brother: You're a crybaby and spoiled. (reality: I'm an emotional person, more stereotypically feminine than masculine)
hehehe gosh i wish i had a brother like you... i'd hug you everyday

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61342 on: May 02, 2013, 04:19:32 pm »

Used to be very depressive. Drank a lot from an early age. I have distinct memories of staying up late and having to knock back double shots of whiskey by 7th grade, just to go to sleep.

Some of that no doubt stems from childhood trauma, some of which I've alluded to before. My folks split when I was three, ended up with my mom and living with *her* parents for a couple of years. Those were happy months. Then she met this guy. We moved in with him. I didn't like him. He didn't like me. Thought I was too scrawny, too weak, that I was stuck-up because I could read at age 4 (and as I later discovered, he couldn't read at 35). Shortly thereafter, they got married and the gloves came off for real.

So that covers up through age 18.....  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #61343 on: May 02, 2013, 04:27:04 pm »

RedKing:  I really can't imagine any good way to respond.  Sorry you had to go through all that trauma and I sincerely hope that things improve for you.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61344 on: May 02, 2013, 04:29:13 pm »

Meh, not really looking for a response. It's mostly ancient history now. I just figured since we're having a group therapy session I'd say my piece. I'll have to do volume 2 later this evening, that's where it starts to get interesting.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61345 on: May 02, 2013, 04:38:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So that covers up through age 18.....  :-\
[/SPOILER]
im sorry for what happened to you, your story is likely the most tragic of all. Childhood is the essential development period that determines what kind of person you will become, even if subconsciously, these experiences will continue to affect you throughout your life...im sorry.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61346 on: May 02, 2013, 04:45:40 pm »

You know there's at least three things wrong with that.

1. You sort of make, "this will affect you your entire life" sound like "trauma during childhood leaves you permanently broken".

2. It's typically a very bad idea to go comparing the sadness of one such tragedy to another.

3. The story ain't over yet.

Also, hugs to Redking.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #61347 on: May 02, 2013, 04:59:23 pm »

You know there's at least three things wrong with that.

1. You sort of make, "this will affect you your entire life" sound like "trauma during childhood leaves you permanently broken".

It kinda does. When you grow up in hell, you will never be normal. If you are lucky, you can fake it. But you will never know what its like to be an innocent carefree child.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61348 on: May 02, 2013, 05:00:51 pm »

Not normal != broken.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61349 on: May 02, 2013, 05:10:34 pm »

not permanently, but trauma goes more deeper if experienced by a child than by an adult, and thus is much harder to heal. Childhood is an important development stage mentally, it is childhood that psychological defenses that defend against trauma are built up so children are practically defenseless psychologically.

Early trauma may stall and even halt psychological development required to cope with psychological trauma as an adult, which means that person will be more vulnerable later on.
Pages: 1 ... 4088 4089 [4090] 4091 4092 ... 8156