Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4243 4244 [4245] 4246 4247 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8613597 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #63660 on: July 14, 2013, 06:02:10 pm »

The forum keeps giving me gateways  :'(

FREE GATEWAYS FOR ALL

PRAISE THE HOSTS

though seriously, i am quietly considering the possibility that we're outgrowing our server. who knows? might be happening.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63661 on: July 14, 2013, 06:13:44 pm »

cause related by blood doesn't mean shit.
Not everyone thinks so.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63662 on: July 14, 2013, 06:34:24 pm »

That just seems like a sick line of thought to me. If someone didn't care enough to be in my life or care for me or about me in any way growing up, all the way up to where I'm a damn adult already, caring about them when they introduce themselves is a waste of time and thought. That's just how I see it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63663 on: July 14, 2013, 06:37:20 pm »

Yeah, but the kids didn't do anything wrong.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63664 on: July 14, 2013, 06:53:49 pm »

Yeah, but the kids didn't do anything wrong.

What I'm trying to get at is that the absent biological father might as well not be related to you, for all practical purposes. If he's not related to you, do you have any obligation to care about his family? Nope, cause then it's like you're obligated to care for the family of just any random stranger who's asked you to look after their kids. There's no obligation there, social or emotional or otherwise.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63665 on: July 14, 2013, 07:14:19 pm »

That just seems like a sick line of thought to me. If someone didn't care enough to be in my life or care for me or about me in any way growing up, all the way up to where I'm a damn adult already, caring about them when they introduce themselves is a waste of time and thought. That's just how I see it.
The same could be said for any new friend you make. Look at all these sick social people, going out making new friends.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63666 on: July 14, 2013, 07:21:33 pm »

The same could be said for any new friend you make. Look at all these sick social people, going out making new friends.

I simply have no idea where you're coming from. Meeting new friends, and being approached by your absent father are world's apart in difference.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63667 on: July 14, 2013, 08:22:46 pm »

I simply have no idea where you're coming from. Meeting new friends, and being approached by your absent father are world's apart in difference.
...what? Moments ago, you were arguing the complete opposite, namely that an absent father is no different than a complete stranger, and now this? Also, where I'm coming from is your exact previous post, where you were expressing a statement that directly implied that people making friends had sick lines of thought.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63668 on: July 14, 2013, 08:38:09 pm »

...what? Moments ago, you were arguing the complete opposite, namely that an absent father is no different than a complete stranger, and now this? Also, where I'm coming from is your exact previous post, where you were expressing a statement that directly implied that people making friends had sick lines of thought.

I never once mentioned anything about making friends. I'm not sure how you're perceiving that's the case.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63669 on: July 14, 2013, 08:48:22 pm »

I never once mentioned anything about making friends. I'm not sure how you're perceiving that's the case.
Well, making friends generally involves going to a person who hasn't cared enough to be in your life or care for you or about you in any way growing up, all the way up to where you're a damn adult already, then caring about them when they introduce themselves to you. But if that person happens to be your biological father, suddenly it's a waste of time and thought? Looks like being related by blood does mean shit after all.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63670 on: July 14, 2013, 08:49:45 pm »

I'm wondering where my one and only offline friend is still. It's been about nine days or so since I last heard from him. Methinks that he may perhaps be in a lot of hot water or maybe a shallow grave somewhere, which has gotten me both worried and sorrowful. I do hope he's alright.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63671 on: July 14, 2013, 08:55:54 pm »

Well, making friends generally involves going to a person who hasn't cared enough to be in your life or care for you or about you in any way growing up, all the way up to where you're a damn adult already, then caring about them when they introduce themselves to you. But if that person happens to be your biological father, suddenly it's a waste of time and thought? Looks like being related by blood does mean shit after all.

If they meet on platonic circumstances, I can see the two becoming friends. Being approached by the absent father and him basically expressing "I'd like it if you held some form of familial affection towards me, however undeserved it might be." is what I find sick. Not just sick, but exploitative as well; he's trying to take advantage of something he's never earned.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #63672 on: July 15, 2013, 04:08:57 am »

So the story is fake because the person did something that you wouldn't have?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63673 on: July 15, 2013, 04:16:02 am »

YES because everybody acts and thinks as I do! Trying to argue against this sentiment is exactly the kind of thing I would do, therefor proving my argument. Pointing out that cases where my argument holds true does not prove that my argument is universally true is also something I would do, further proving my point. Because you know, once something is 'proven' it can then be further proven to a greater degree and all, making it super proven.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63674 on: July 15, 2013, 04:19:44 am »

I don't think that's quite fair. I believe he said it was fake because no body would do it. Not just that he would do it. And although I disagree with that assertion, the idea is not exactly worthy of such a shocking amount of derision as you have in your post.
Pages: 1 ... 4243 4244 [4245] 4246 4247 ... 8156