Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4335 4336 [4337] 4338 4339 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8575199 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #65040 on: August 23, 2013, 11:44:07 pm »

... ebook reader, maybe? Can't think of much physical books offer over those, barring the whole battery-life thing. Some of them even have that neat little setup where you basically turn the pages (run your finger across the screen) anyway.

I'unno. Nowadays most of what I miss when I'm reading physical text is a bloody zoom feature. I'm used to reading at around 180% zoom these days :-\

A nice grey text on blue background or something (yellow on black, etc., so forth, so on. Darkling has a soothing color scheme.) is really much nicer than most physical texts, too... least seems to be easier on my eyes, anyway. Digital copies tend to be so much more... malleable... than physical ones. You're a lot more likely to be able to adjust things to taste, often with very little effort. S'nice.

... still a bit of a bibliophile, though. Lot more comfortable throwing books at people than I am the computer. Decent book can take the hit at a solid velocity and maybe tear the cover at most. Computer falls to pieces at that sort of impact.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:50:41 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65041 on: August 24, 2013, 12:09:56 am »

Real books don't take time to render, though =P  Plus, you can often also remember the "depth" it's into the textbook, if not the page number or general topic.  Spatial reasoning, remember!

EDIT: Oh man I need to scrape my life off the floor PDQ.  Man.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65042 on: August 24, 2013, 12:12:35 am »

Just realised that my classes start next monday... Which is sort of a happy thing, except that I also just realised that means I have to work on getting up at 9 in the morning, versus my current schedule of only getting up once it's no longer morning.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #65043 on: August 24, 2013, 12:19:29 am »

... yeah, scheduling woes. Two days of week, up at five-ish AM (out of house from ~7 until ~3, 4 PM). Two other days, largely need to sleep until like noon+ (gone from 3ish till after 6 one day, after 9 the other) -- or at least catch a midday siesta -- just so I'll be conscious for necessary late afternoon/night stuff. It has been... unpleasant. Only first week of it, too :-\

Kinda' wish it was just up at five all the way through, really. I'm very, very much not a morning person, but... you get used to that. Very soothing, waking up with a few hours to kill in the early morning. Casual morning ablutions, leisurely breaking of fast, perhaps an hour's doze or a bit of reading or whatnot... it's all very relaxing. Sets a nice tone for the rest of the day. Sometimes the tone even stays that way!
Ask not!
Ask!

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65044 on: August 24, 2013, 12:32:04 am »

I think it's kind of sad that the first thought that crosses my mine whenever I am near someone in the 18-35 demographic is one of suspicion, distrust and doubt, especially when that's my demographic. I'm working on dealing with it but at this time it's just not something I can get past.

It's going to be worse with college back in session because I have to walk through the university campus just to get to half of the places I need to be on a given date, and doubly so with how the university I live near is renowned as one of the top party schools of the 1980s, something that the students seem to want to repeat with every semester.

I'm going to need a lot more caffeine in the coming months.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #65045 on: August 24, 2013, 08:54:06 am »

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:28:18 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #65046 on: August 24, 2013, 09:00:08 am »

... maybe "take initiative" translates into "poisoned cookies for the supervisor"?
Ask not!
Ask!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65047 on: August 24, 2013, 09:18:49 am »

<snip>
How do they even stay in business if they're so crazily inefficient? I mean it seems like they're systemically trying to get you to do as little as possible.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65048 on: August 24, 2013, 09:33:27 am »

<snip>
How do they even stay in business if they're so crazily inefficient? I mean it seems like they're systemically trying to get you to do as little as possible.

new boss probably has a vested interest in crashing the company, so that's what is happening.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #65049 on: August 24, 2013, 11:39:03 am »

Truean: It sounds like you have the worst luck when it comes to employers. I'm still not sure how some of the bosses I've had even got their jobs.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65050 on: August 24, 2013, 11:50:12 am »

I think I have influenza. I'm fatigued, nauseous and experiencing several other unpleasant symptoms as well. It's alright seeing as I get something like this maybe once or twice a year. Might as well get it over and done with.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #65051 on: August 24, 2013, 02:26:53 pm »

Mild sad: my 68 hour Oblivion playthrough appears to be succumbing to save rot. It's crashing really often now. Well, it got a good 60 hours past what it did back when I used quicksaves and autosaves.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65052 on: August 24, 2013, 05:20:36 pm »

My best friend just got in touch with me, saying she wasn't going to DnD any more. Apparently two of the other players in the group complained and said that they didn't want her in the group any more.

She says it's something to do with some arguments regarding one of the player's misogynistic behaviour, I didn't see the few times we've met, but apparently he's in the habit of regularly making very misogynistic remarks, and she's taken offence to this and has gotten into a few arguments with him about it. The other player that complained is basically his heterosexual life partner (they live on the same street and have known each other for ages).

I'm pretty frigging pissed about this, and debating if I still want to go to this group.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65053 on: August 24, 2013, 05:51:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't suppose talking to her about it would do any good at this point?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65054 on: August 24, 2013, 07:12:17 pm »

So I figured I might as well look into a thing that eluded me, namely shipping. I'm horrible at pairing people together to the point of my mind going blank when trying to think of why one would or wouldn't work, so it might have been a good experience if I didn't learn everyone is shipped with everything, the least canon/logical reason the better, and I'm not going to the docks today or ever. Guess it's back to anime for me where the tropes are defined and it's not like I like it or anything, baka.

Fucking forum kraken tried to eat my post, too.
Pages: 1 ... 4335 4336 [4337] 4338 4339 ... 8156