Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4339 4340 [4341] 4342 4343 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8575206 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #65100 on: August 26, 2013, 10:43:44 am »

Then again there's plenty of things that jellyfish do that you probably don't.
Unless ingesting food through your anus is your thing.
It's more of a cloaca really, and people can do that if they really want to.
I didn't literally mean that it was a thing people would do, I kind of assumed that nobody reading this would enjoy having only one major orifice.
The point was something about jellyfish not being perfect but in hindsight I'm not whether or not anyone actually needed telling that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65101 on: August 26, 2013, 10:47:36 am »

You're just jealous of them.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65102 on: August 26, 2013, 10:55:01 am »

This!

Jellyfish are pretty much the only genus of macroscopic creatures in the world that are likely to survive pretty much anything the world is likely to throw at them. So long as there is an ocean with smaller orders of creatures for them to feed on, jellyfish will persist, they were among the first creatures to arise on this planet, and mark my words, they will be amongst the last to leave.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #65103 on: August 26, 2013, 11:09:55 am »

This!

Jellyfish are pretty much the only genus of macroscopic creatures in the world that are likely to survive pretty much anything the world is likely to throw at them. So long as there is an ocean with smaller orders of creatures for them to feed on, jellyfish will persist, they were among the first creatures to arise on this planet, and mark my words, they will be amongst the last to leave.
Nah, They'd die with the oceans, and there have been ocean-wiping (And I do mean ocean wiping, as it, it ceases to exist as a liquid) Cataclysmic events in earth history, and life persisted through them (The answer is the ocean isn't that deep, but life has penetrated far below it. It simply migrated back up.) There have been maybe, 3 of these very large, very, very large strikes on the earth with devastating consequences, but the heat simply didn't penetrate much farther then the exposed ocean. (Although it did melt the surface a lot). And we could be chilling in orbit, waiting the thousand years for the earth to resume a livable temperature.

Even hearign that terrifies me. Isn't that what birds use, since they do all excretion from one orfice?

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65104 on: August 26, 2013, 11:14:49 am »

Even hearign that terrifies me. Isn't that what birds use, since they do all excretion from one orfice?
Birds eat with their mouth though, unlike jellyfish.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #65105 on: August 26, 2013, 11:46:59 am »

Can we re-rail this chat, please? While the thread in itself is dedicated to the more melancholic of tones, speaking and directly missing the metaphor of this context is...

Y'know, we need a general animal facts thread. >_>

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65106 on: August 26, 2013, 11:48:29 am »

Vector is innately likeable.
[Citation needed]

I knew my depression needed a mascot!

I'm fine with eating with my butt as long as I don't have to do anything :I
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #65107 on: August 26, 2013, 11:56:39 am »

I used to write RPG gaming systems. I used to create RPG worlds. I used to play RPG games. I used to read. I used to play video games. I used to watch TV...

The fuck am I doing with my life that I have no time for these things anymore?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65108 on: August 26, 2013, 11:57:01 am »

I need to take a break from being INTJ-Vector and be INTP-Vector.  I don't have the energy for the other one right now (it's not natural to me, anyway).
So... what you're saying is you want to shift away from making solid plans ahead of time, to a more adaptive planning style?

I need to stop worrying about judging and being judged for a while and just act according to whim.  I'm tired of fighting against everything and ranking things and ordering things.  I don't want to do that.  I need to just be a jellyfish for a while again and stop worrying.

Sounds good to me.  J is good at getting stuff done, but frustrates the hell out of themselves and everyone else.  Never seemed worth it to me.  What's the point in accomplishment if you never enjoy it?

Example:  My wife is extremely J and has to have a detailed plan for every scheduled event ever.  If there isn't one, she stresses out.  If the plan isn't perfectly executed, she stresses out.  While the plan is in the process of being executed, she stresses out at any indication that it might not end up perfect.  She gets so worked up over things as simple as a couple friends coming to hang out for a while that when it comes time to enjoy it, she can't.  So there's literally no point.

I'm 100% P.  Wishy washy as fuck.  Bad at finishing things.  Often late.  Bit of an underachiever.  Quite content about it, having seen the alternative.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65109 on: August 26, 2013, 12:38:01 pm »

Always glad to be of assistance.  Any time you need to question your self-worth, call me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65110 on: August 26, 2013, 12:59:32 pm »

I need to take a break from being INTJ-Vector and be INTP-Vector.  I don't have the energy for the other one right now (it's not natural to me, anyway).
So... what you're saying is you want to shift away from making solid plans ahead of time, to a more adaptive planning style?

I need to stop worrying about judging and being judged for a while and just act according to whim.  I'm tired of fighting against everything and ranking things and ordering things.  I don't want to do that.  I need to just be a jellyfish for a while again and stop worrying.

Sounds good to me.  J is good at getting stuff done, but frustrates the hell out of themselves and everyone else.  Never seemed worth it to me.  What's the point in accomplishment if you never enjoy it?

Example:  My wife is extremely J and has to have a detailed plan for every scheduled event ever.  If there isn't one, she stresses out.  If the plan isn't perfectly executed, she stresses out.  While the plan is in the process of being executed, she stresses out at any indication that it might not end up perfect.  She gets so worked up over things as simple as a couple friends coming to hang out for a while that when it comes time to enjoy it, she can't.  So there's literally no point.

I'm 100% P.  Wishy washy as fuck.  Bad at finishing things.  Often late.  Bit of an underachiever.  Quite content about it, having seen the alternative.

Ugh, I'm literally 50-50 J/P so it feels like no matter what I'm doing I'm fighting myself.  What I usually end up doing is imagining a lot of different ways that any given event or moment could go, and then in that second do absolutely none of them and pick something else.  If I don't have a generalized plan, I get stressed, but then if I follow the plan, I get bored.

I feel guilty when I'm late but it's hard for me not to be, I have poor completion-per-idea so I just think of like a billion ideas and hold onto them forever (thus completing a lot of projects by most people's standards but a tiny fraction of my Good Ideas), I'm wishy-washy but very good at precisely detailing the conditions of my wishy-washiness, and I'm ambitious as hell but terrible at thinking ahead or doing anything long-term.

I have no idea if it's a good way to be or not but I can't take the stress of dealing with other people's strongly held convictions anymore.  I've spent so much of my life digging my heels in and letting other people push me as hard as they want, and I think I'm just about done with Trying To Say Things.  I literally spent something like eight years, from elementary school through the end of high school, trying to get my dad to read Dragonball because I really really really cared about it and it was something we could talk about together, and I'm just giving the French books to a booksale and being done with that.  DONE.  He's about to retire, which was when things were supposed to change and he'd pay more attention to the things I care about, but no, apparently he's decided he's got too many things he'd rather do instead, AAAAAS USUAL.

Like play fucking Colonization, which is what he's done with all his spare time for the past something-like-thirteen years.

Whatever, I'm done.  I don't give a flying fuck anymore.

I'm sad today because I tried to give someone math advice and made a really elementary error.  On Facebook.  It's this sort of thing that's always made me feel that I wasn't cut out to be a mathematician--my naivete that oversimplifies problems and makes me give stupid answers to things.  And the thing is, I know!  Some part of me always knows, but I just don't listen.  I judge just before I would be able to hear the whole truth, always just before, and it's driving me a little bit crazy.  It's a problem I have in all domains of my life, not just math, but when you lose at social interaction you just get yelled at, you don't fuck up beautiful subtle problems...

(you can see where my loyalties lie.  Hint: not with humanity D:)

Always glad to be of assistance.  Any time you need to question your self-worth, call me.

Will do :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65111 on: August 26, 2013, 01:22:51 pm »

Nah, They'd die with the oceans, and there have been ocean-wiping (And I do mean ocean wiping, as it, it ceases to exist as a liquid) Cataclysmic events in earth history, and life persisted through them (The answer is the ocean isn't that deep, but life has penetrated far below it. It simply migrated back up.) There have been maybe, 3 of these very large, very, very large strikes on the earth with devastating consequences, but the heat simply didn't penetrate much farther then the exposed ocean. (Although it did melt the surface a lot). And we could be chilling in orbit, waiting the thousand years for the earth to resume a livable temperature.
And if the oceans happen to dry up, what do you think is going to happen to all the rest of the life in the world? I stand by my statement, they will probably outlive pretty much every other complex organism out there.

Also I should really read the Dragonball manga at some point.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65112 on: August 26, 2013, 01:24:02 pm »

Ugh, I'm literally 50-50 J/P so it feels like no matter what I'm doing I'm fighting myself.  What I usually end up doing is imagining a lot of different ways that any given event or moment could go, and then in that second do absolutely none of them and pick something else.  If I don't have a generalized plan, I get stressed, but then if I follow the plan, I get bored.

Oh man, did some Meyers Briggs stuff come out of nowhere?

I always envy people with the INTJ-type mentalities. They seem to have some kind of magic brain switch that makes them able to do math and engineering and programming and other things almost innately but at the cost of social skills. In D&D terms: minmaxing with CHR and STR at 8 or worse but WIS and INT at a +4 modifier.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:25:46 pm by freeformschooler »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65113 on: August 26, 2013, 01:29:41 pm »

You don't want to know about my envy for the ENF* people.  It's a little bit disgusting.

What, you have a magic button you press that puts you in contact with other people, without feeling like you're "giving in" or entering an unsafe situation?  You know how to make other people do things, help you out, and smooth things over?  You're not constantly getting into unwinnable fights?

I mean, what's the point of being an INT*?  If you're ENF*, you can farm your work out to an entire battery of INT* people and take credit as project leader, without even paying them anything much of the time because you know how to stroke their egos just right!  That's pretty boss!

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65114 on: August 26, 2013, 01:35:12 pm »

I always envy people with the INTJ-type mentalities. They seem to have some kind of magic brain switch that makes them able to do math and engineering and programming and other things almost innately but at the cost of social skills. In D&D terms: minmaxing with CHR and STR at 8 or worse but WIS and INT at a +4 modifier.
It still surprises me at times how people can't understand assembler programming.  It's like ... the most obvious thing as to how it works and connects together, but I can't seem to explain that to anyone >_>  In hindsight, I now wonder just how effective I was as a teacher's/graduate assistant for 2.5 years. 
Pages: 1 ... 4339 4340 [4341] 4342 4343 ... 8156