Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4340 4341 [4342] 4343 4344 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8580931 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #65115 on: August 26, 2013, 01:38:32 pm »

You don't want to know about my envy for the ENF* people.  It's a little bit disgusting.

What, you have a magic button you press that puts you in contact with other people, without feeling like you're "giving in" or entering an unsafe situation?  You know how to make other people do things, help you out, and smooth things over?  You're not constantly getting into unwinnable fights?

I mean, what's the point of being an INT*?  If you're ENF*, you can farm your work out to an entire battery of INT* people and take credit as project leader, without even paying them anything much of the time because you know how to stroke their egos just right!  That's pretty boss!
Based on my observations (i.e. living with one for 11-12-ish years), ENTJs seem to Get Shit Done pretty well. 

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65116 on: August 26, 2013, 01:40:31 pm »

I always envy people with the INTJ-type mentalities. They seem to have some kind of magic brain switch that makes them able to do math and engineering and programming and other things almost innately but at the cost of social skills. In D&D terms: minmaxing with CHR and STR at 8 or worse but WIS and INT at a +4 modifier.
It still surprises me at times how people can't understand assembler programming.  It's like ... the most obvious thing as to how it works and connects together, but I can't seem to explain that to anyone >_>  In hindsight, I now wonder just how effective I was as a teacher's/graduate assistant for 2.5 years. 

See, that's the exact kind of thing I'm talking about. As INFJ, I "get" people and can instantly understand the way their brains work from just a couple situations, but if I tried to explain how exactly this works, I couldn't do it because it's not something that follows any kind of precise logic. This is similar to how you inherently "get" logic structures like assembler code but may have difficulty communicating them because you're working with people who think less logically than you.

These types of personalities can be rewarding but unnecessarily stressful.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65117 on: August 26, 2013, 01:42:49 pm »

I always envy people with the INTJ-type mentalities. They seem to have some kind of magic brain switch that makes them able to do math and engineering and programming and other things almost innately but at the cost of social skills. In D&D terms: minmaxing with CHR and STR at 8 or worse but WIS and INT at a +4 modifier.
It still surprises me at times how people can't understand assembler programming.  It's like ... the most obvious thing as to how it works and connects together, but I can't seem to explain that to anyone >_>  In hindsight, I now wonder just how effective I was as a teacher's/graduate assistant for 2.5 years.
Those tests and stuff always put me at INTJ, but I'm not good at any of those things; mostly because I never take the effort to learn anything.
I'm sure that I could be, but I still won't.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65118 on: August 26, 2013, 01:46:54 pm »

Alright, fuck it. Throw one of these IASFGDAS tests at me if you'd be as kind. People are actually discussing it as if it were a thing so I'm going to learn what I supposedly am and use it nowhere.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65119 on: August 26, 2013, 01:50:09 pm »

Alright, fuck it. Throw one of these IASFGDAS tests at me if you'd be as kind. People are actually discussing it as if it were a thing so I'm going to learn what I supposedly am and use it nowhere.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65120 on: August 26, 2013, 01:58:45 pm »

ISTP. Huh.

Alright, as said previously I don't think this really has a purpose, but you might as well know. Thanks for the link.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65121 on: August 26, 2013, 02:04:14 pm »

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp
ISTJ? Sounds about right.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65122 on: August 26, 2013, 02:31:02 pm »

What does it say about my personality that I lost interest in doing that quiz half way through?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #65123 on: August 26, 2013, 02:31:09 pm »

I find it really difficult to answer the questions in those personality tests especially the social questions. I like having an active social life, but only if I have a lot of my own space and vice versa. I enjoy fast paced work, but only if it's specific types of work. Is it just me?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65124 on: August 26, 2013, 02:32:44 pm »

No, its not just you.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65125 on: August 26, 2013, 02:34:26 pm »

Ugh, I'm literally 50-50 J/P so it feels like no matter what I'm doing I'm fighting myself.  What I usually end up doing is imagining a lot of different ways that any given event or moment could go, and then in that second do absolutely none of them and pick something else.  If I don't have a generalized plan, I get stressed, but then if I follow the plan, I get bored.

I feel guilty when I'm late but it's hard for me not to be, I have poor completion-per-idea so I just think of like a billion ideas and hold onto them forever (thus completing a lot of projects by most people's standards but a tiny fraction of my Good Ideas), I'm wishy-washy but very good at precisely detailing the conditions of my wishy-washiness, and I'm ambitious as hell but terrible at thinking ahead or doing anything long-term.

All sounds really familiar to me, minus the frustration. 

I have a billion ideas, too, but I'm generally content with treasuring the ideas themselves and only completing or half-completing something once in a while.  I'm ambitious as hell, but intimidate myself with my more ambitious ideas and never come up with long-term strategies for pursuing them.  But I get a ton of satisfaction out of it when I do little things that feel like progress.  Doesn't bother me when I'm late.  Only bothers me that people are so uptight about it.  Unless I'm late to the point of causing real problems, and then I feel bad. 

Being IN*P carries plenty of its own problems, though... like feeling generally incompatible with the world most of the time.  Or being seen as weak or incompetent because I analyze and ethically judge my own actions more strictly and honestly than others.  I could wrap a verbal fist around the ego-hearts of most people I know, but I never will because it's just not in my nature.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65126 on: August 26, 2013, 03:09:41 pm »

I literally spent something like eight years, from elementary school through the end of high school, trying to get my dad to read Dragonball because I really really really cared about it and it was something we could talk about together, and I'm just giving the French books to a booksale and being done with that.  DONE.  He's about to retire, which was when things were supposed to change and he'd pay more attention to the things I care about, but no, apparently he's decided he's got too many things he'd rather do instead, AAAAAS USUAL.
I don't know, I think (relatively) modern pop culture is one of the most unlikely things to bond over with parents. Maybe you shouldn't take that personnally, I know very few cases where that works, usually if the parents are rather young and very open-minded. Even I feel already a big pop cultural disconnect to people 10+ years younger, and I'm only in my 30s.

BTW, how come this Meyer-Briggs test pops up here so often? Is it because it's popular or are people likely to have to take it in school or at job applications or something?
I had never heard of it and the German wikipedia thinks its unreliable pseudo-science. It says I'm INTP. Is that good? Am I hired now?  ;D

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #65127 on: August 26, 2013, 03:12:28 pm »

Dragon Ball isn't modern pop culture, it's from 10 years ago in America and 20-30 in Japan >_>

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65128 on: August 26, 2013, 03:13:24 pm »

BTW, how come this Meyer-Briggs test pops up here so often? Is it because it's popular or are people likely to have to take it in school or at job applications or something?
I had never heard of it and the German wikipedia thinks its unreliable pseudo-science. It says I'm INTP. Is that good? Am I hired now?  ;D

MBTI Is Not a Science etc etc etc

It's a popular personality test people enjoy talking about (but especially bookish people) because it gives them more language to communicate how their brain works and understand how other peoples' brains work. Beyond that, it's a bunch of BS horoscope find your lovematch type stuff.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65129 on: August 26, 2013, 03:18:42 pm »

Dragon Ball isn't modern pop culture, it's from 10 years ago in America and 20-30 in Japan >_>
I tend to think it's relatively modern. When it was on TV here (late 90s I think?) I already felt too old to watch it. 20-30 years seems enough of a gap to make pop culture relatively uninteresting for people. I mean my parents essentially stopped buying records in the early 70s....
Pages: 1 ... 4340 4341 [4342] 4343 4344 ... 8156