Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4341 4342 [4343] 4344 4345 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8576576 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #65130 on: August 26, 2013, 03:20:01 pm »

Lost my flashdrive with tons of super important (to me) stuff on it. After retracing my steps (eg. looking on the ground, asking the person who is now sitting at the (school) computer I used last), I came up with exactly 0 results. There are two possibiliites, 1) It fell out of pocket (and was then taken), or 2) I left it in the computer (and the next person to use the computer took it). Neither have any further chance of me finding it again.

Damn, I really used and liked that flashdrive too. Guess it's time for a new one.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65131 on: August 26, 2013, 03:45:56 pm »

Oh man.  I always have long-term strategies for my ambitious ideas, but usually there has to be substantial reward within a one-month period for me to feel like it's worth it.  So, I can clock in like 18 hours a day every day for a month, but after that whatever I was working on had better have a phase done.  Little things don't do much for me.  I really enjoy overclocking myself to the point of exhaustion and total social incompetence (look at that, lack of emotional intelligence right there), but afterwards I want to just kind of hang out doing nothing for the next... bit.

*sigh*

P's think I'm a J and J's think I'm a P.  It's really quite awkward.

Dragon Ball isn't modern pop culture, it's from 10 years ago in America and 20-30 in Japan >_>

Not just that, but it was THE defining thing I read in my childhood, my father was born in Japan and all into "Easterny stuff", and etc., etc.  More than anything else I've ever read, it shaped me as a person.  The comic is very different from the TV show.  I agree that the television show is perhaps more appropriate for younger viewers, but there ain't nothing wrong with the manga.

Doesn't hurt either that the entire THING is about the relationship between fathers and sons.  That is what it is about.

Look, all I'm trying to say is that it may have been stupid of me, but if you have no intention to follow a promise then don't make a promise.  Just grow up and say "no, it's not happening.  I realize that I don't call you when I'm away on trips so we have no contact 33%+ of the time (more because I go to bed at 7 and get up at 3 while I'm home), I don't respect your possessions, your person, and your personal space, and that I hurt your feelings pretty systematically because I've made defensiveness an art form, but I've decided I'm not going to try to make it up to you in any way and that your pathetic attempts at continued contact are too immature and childish to bother with.  Go forth and prosper, my daughter, just don't expect any help from me."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65132 on: August 26, 2013, 03:58:00 pm »

It's not science in the sense that it doesn't make use of clearly defined or measurable variables.  It doesn't really try to do anything very scientific, but that doesn't mean it isn't useful.  It's done a great job helping me to understand others.

It defines the core elements of a person's personality/style of mental functioning according to four dichotomies.  These four dichotomies are pretty well evident and consistent.  For example, I don't think anybody would disagree that everyone has some level of tendency to be more introverted or extroverted.  That tendency describes a lot of things about a person besides how much they like to socialize, because they're a consequence of the way on which that person processes thoughts and experiences.  Combined with the three other dichotomies, you can learn a lot about a person, especially if they have an especially strong preference on any of the four scales.

It's actually been really useful in my marriage.  My wife and I are both very strong personalities.  I'm 80-100% on I/N/P.  My wife is similarly strong on all of hers as an ESFJ.  There was a huge disconnect in our communications until I started reading into this stuff, and it was able to explain to me exactly what was going on in her mind and from there I was able to explain to her in terms she would understand exactly what was going on in mine.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #65133 on: August 26, 2013, 05:05:44 pm »

First day of senior year of high school. Depressed as hell already. Everything is just monotonous and uinteresting, and the thought that I get to graduate, go to college for more tedium and doing stuff that I don't want to do or really know why I'm doing it except that it's somehow supposed to make me better, then graduate college, get a job, and repeat the process until I die--not a good thought. Not encouraging. Looks like one long stretch of bland.

Basically got a full blown "what am i doing with my life." moment going. Wooooooooo. Sucks.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65134 on: August 26, 2013, 05:10:36 pm »

I took that linked one, and I got an INTP. Reading the description on this page pretty much describes me, at least in how I perceive myself.

Scientists, systems, nom nom. I really want a big, heavy, solid oak or mahogany work-desk, with drawers out the wing-wang, and lots of clockwork and electronic systems to fiddle with. I've never really gotten the hang of programming, but then I've never really tried except one day in a class in high school that I dropped out of immediately. I -thought- at the time that I was just not cut out for it, but looking back on that time, I was really in a place of "If I can't do it immediately, I can't do it at all," relying entirely on talents and never putting the effort in to create skill.

I really want to stop doing that. I don't want to coast, I want to create, learn, help, and be a titan of science. Little egotistical but I think I have it in me to become one of the greats, and I want to develop the skills I need to do so.

That all said, I have no idea how to learn how to program. Like, how do I start? I don't know why but programming has always been on the back of my mind, retrospectively. Always thinking about it, never actually learning, wanting to but not knowing how to, or even that I want to. I feel like if I can break into programming, I can get the skill to... well, get skills?

I hope that all made sense...

Spoiler: TL;DR (you jackass) (click to show/hide)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65135 on: August 26, 2013, 05:13:05 pm »

I took that linked one, and I got an INTP. Reading the description on this page pretty much describes me, at least in how I perceive myself.
Since you spent the entire test telling it how you perceive yourself, I certainly HOPE it would be able to parrot that back to you. ;) It fails pretty hard to do so for me though, so it's not even that good at that!

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65136 on: August 26, 2013, 05:21:12 pm »

First day of senior year of high school. Depressed as hell already. Everything is just monotonous and uinteresting, and the thought that I get to graduate, go to college for more tedium and doing stuff that I don't want to do or really know why I'm doing it except that it's somehow supposed to make me better, then graduate college, get a job, and repeat the process until I die--not a good thought. Not encouraging. Looks like one long stretch of bland.

Basically got a full blown "what am i doing with my life." moment going. Wooooooooo. Sucks.
That's a pretty good summation of it all.  Do try to take advantage of the fact that you have way more free time in HS/college than you will with a 40-hour-a-week career, though. 

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65137 on: August 26, 2013, 07:55:05 pm »

Me and my parents made the decision to put the dog we've had for 15 years down today.
I was all for it, I mean, she's just suffering at this point, and she's full of cancer.
Yet, I'm depressed as fuck right now.
I need some happy, people, quick, link me to something.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #65138 on: August 26, 2013, 08:14:23 pm »

Scientists, systems, nom nom. I really want a big, heavy, solid oak or mahogany work-desk, with drawers out the wing-wang, and lots of clockwork and electronic systems to fiddle with. I've never really gotten the hang of programming, but then I've never really tried except one day in a class in high school that I dropped out of immediately. I -thought- at the time that I was just not cut out for it, but looking back on that time, I was really in a place of "If I can't do it immediately, I can't do it at all," relying entirely on talents and never putting the effort in to create skill.

I really want to stop doing that. I don't want to coast, I want to create, learn, help, and be a titan of science. Little egotistical but I think I have it in me to become one of the greats, and I want to develop the skills I need to do so.

That all said, I have no idea how to learn how to program. Like, how do I start? I don't know why but programming has always been on the back of my mind, retrospectively. Always thinking about it, never actually learning, wanting to but not knowing how to, or even that I want to. I feel like if I can break into programming, I can get the skill to... well, get skills?

I hope that all made sense...

Spoiler: TL;DR (you jackass) (click to show/hide)

http://www.codecademy.com/

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65139 on: August 26, 2013, 08:17:31 pm »

Danke, Herr Putnam.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65140 on: August 26, 2013, 08:47:43 pm »

I remember taking that test once. The online one, anyways. I came out as INTJ, favoring each one by about 25% (or thereabouts, I forget how much).

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65141 on: August 26, 2013, 09:51:48 pm »

INTP
Introvert(56%)  iNtuitive(12%)  Thinking(12%)  Perceiving(44)%
  • You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (56%)
  • You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)
  • You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (12%)
  • You have moderate preference of Perceiving over Judging (44%)

Honestly, a lot of the questions were pretty iffy and wishy-washy to me.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:54:18 pm by Japa »

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65142 on: August 26, 2013, 11:02:27 pm »

ENTP
Extravert(33%)  iNtuitive(12%)  Thinking(38%)  Perceiving(56)%
You have moderate preference of Extraversion over Introversion (33%)
You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (38%)
You have moderate preference of Perceiving over Judging (56%)

It seems like I am the only extravert.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65143 on: August 26, 2013, 11:17:44 pm »

Get out.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65144 on: August 26, 2013, 11:20:00 pm »

I remember taking that test once. The online one, anyways. I came out as INTJ, favoring each one by about 25% (or thereabouts, I forget how much).
The Shit Let's Be thread revealed that Bay 12 is a truly massive INTJ outlier.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 4341 4342 [4343] 4344 4345 ... 8156