Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4344 4345 [4346] 4347 4348 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8550298 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #65175 on: August 27, 2013, 09:26:15 pm »

Is she using the pastor as a sort of formal guidance counselor (which is fairly common, as clergy tend to have good contacts in the community, useful for aiding someone on their chosen path), or was it simple post-service chatter? In the former case, you could simply ask him to keep such consultations between the two of you instead of having your mother present. That would minimize discomfort, but also mollify her that you are actually doing something for your future.

If it is the latter, then I understand your situation perfectly. My grandmother was extremely pushy about how I talked to the pastor until I broke with the church over theological issues.

No, it was just random chatter. I didn't think I was being awkward, either, but apparently from her listening to me while talking to someone else I was? I just don't know, it's not so much him being a pastor that makes talking awkward (although it might contribute a little bit) as much as him being someone with whom I have no common interests and stuff. I'd rather listen to people speak then talk about myself for extended lengths of time.

Temporarily paralyzed? Holy crap, what happened?

(I should probably stop posting in the sad/rage thread. My miffs seem so petty compared to everything everyone else ends up facing.)

I think everyone has their own blah moments going on that are relatively bad for them. I mean, life is a roller coaster, so if you are having a good time in your life, the bad things that do happen seem worse, even if they aren't as bad compared to what other people are experiencing at the time. This thread is just a good way to vent, I think, and reading other people's posts can be cathartic at times, too. Plus it isn't a bad thing to have somebody relatively positive around to brighten up the thread.

Also, a straight out "wow" at the temporary paralysis thing. Hope everything is alright/going to be alright for you, Salmongod!

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #65176 on: August 27, 2013, 09:29:56 pm »

That is pretty awful, SalmonGod. I hope things get better soon.

Also, I fucked up a cooking experiment beyond repair. I learned a valuable lesson about how much water flour can absorb before it goes from dough to goop, but I wish I hadn't wasted an egg and my entire supply of flour, yeast, and spare ramen seasoning packages learning it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65177 on: August 27, 2013, 10:00:00 pm »

Can't sleep. Depressed. Mostly I think I'm having trouble sleeping because my mother and brother decided to very noisily have a conversation late at night, they're both people that seriously need better volume control on their voices... I'm afraid to bring this issue up with them because experience has told me they're both people that don't take well to criticism, will most likely forget I even mentioned it five minutes later, and if not they will almost certainly hold it against me. Plus I really just don't feel like fighting with them about it.

I'm also feeling really just... like a complete mess in general. It was a pretty god damn stressful day today with a lot of crazy stuff happening. I was nervous the whole time, had to get up early, I slept badly... So when I came home I was absolutely exhausted, yet the day wasn't even halfway over.

I feel so ridiculously idiotic... about everything. Just fuck me man, fuck me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65178 on: August 27, 2013, 10:16:34 pm »

It's not literal paralysis.  She threw her back out.  But like most of her problems, when it hits, it hits fucking hard.  Her lower back sort of seizes up to the point that she can't move at all without excruciating pain.  At its worst, it takes five minutes just to roll her over in bed.  That was yesterday.  Today, she's at least capable of rolling over onto her side by herself, but that's about it.  This has happened a couple times before, and I think it's been 6 years since the last time.  Great timing, too, as I'm really trying not to fuck up this job switch that has also left us without insurance for the next couple months.  I'm only in my fifth week, and I've already taken a sick day and had situations come up that forced me to be considerably late twice.

Wouldn't be getting through this at all without my mom coming over to help a bunch.

Really need to get to bed now, but it's so hard to force myself to do so, when I'm only just beginning to feel like I've had a chance to wind down.  I don't deal well with days like this since I can't just count on my old near-superhuman tolerance for sleep deprivation anymore.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:22:36 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #65179 on: August 28, 2013, 01:04:25 am »

So I just stayed up 'til one in the morning looking at goddamn imgur for about 3 hours.

What the hell, me. I need to get off the internet so I can actually be productive or something.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65180 on: August 28, 2013, 01:54:30 am »

accounting is so much work holy nuts

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65181 on: August 28, 2013, 03:07:39 am »

I don't want this day to end, but I really have to go to bed now.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65182 on: August 28, 2013, 10:01:45 am »

That is pretty awful, SalmonGod. I hope things get better soon.

Also, I fucked up a cooking experiment beyond repair. I learned a valuable lesson about how much water flour can absorb before it goes from dough to goop, but I wish I hadn't wasted an egg and my entire supply of flour, yeast, and spare ramen seasoning packages learning it.
Pour goop into pan, cook, flip over, cook.

Bam, ingredients saved.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65183 on: August 28, 2013, 11:29:14 am »

I don't know what it is with me and only being able to discuss sad stuff 3+ days after it has already happened.

But I decided to stop seeing my Shrink. I cancelled my appt, thinking in my mind that I could set up another one another time, but in my mind's mind I know that that's just wishful thinking and I'm never going to call him up again. It think it's pretty obvious that there's nothing he can do to help me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65184 on: August 28, 2013, 02:38:24 pm »

"Everyone get into groups of three!"

*absolutely everyone around me gets in triangles in the course of a few seconds*

And so I am left alone, and in a predicament because a few minutes later it is announced that those groups are now defining the final project groups as well. After a year, I think I can safely say that college is just a much ruder version of high school.

Also, I don't think I ever was cognizant to this before, but I really fucking hate how sunlight feels when I'm cold beforehand.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65185 on: August 28, 2013, 03:02:21 pm »

I think I can safely say that college is just a much ruder version of high school.

hahahahaha

But yes, it's true.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65186 on: August 28, 2013, 03:17:27 pm »

Hmm... I maybe got that feeling from some of the more overpopulated entry-level courses, but that's it.  Otherwise, college felt nothing at all like high school.  But then, I had worse issues with high school then most people, and pretty well coasted through college without any problems, besides family issues slowing me down.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65187 on: August 28, 2013, 07:32:42 pm »

Yeeeaaah.... shame is the opposite of what you should be feeling right now. Indignation is probably better, considering the hellish condition you're in right now.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #65188 on: August 28, 2013, 08:40:05 pm »

jesus christ.
I'm in precalc, and having finished the homework of my seven other ****ing periods, I have one and a half worksheets to do. Problem is, I have absolutely no idea what to do. And I'm afraid that I'll get left behind, as my teacher said she might do.
grrrkgkrkkkkk
I didn't get good grades last year. If I'm hoping to get into a quality college, I need to get them here. But it's so hard...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65189 on: August 28, 2013, 08:44:54 pm »

To the math help thread with you.

Pages: 1 ... 4344 4345 [4346] 4347 4348 ... 8155