Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4409 4410 [4411] 4412 4413 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8576252 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66150 on: September 30, 2013, 07:58:29 pm »

Nah, see, the half-bloods are alright, see? It's only the mudbloods they hate.

Otherwise they'd be extremely powerless, since there's so few Wizarding families left that they'd either have a whole bunch of inbreeding* or they have to allow half-bloods.

*Why do I feel there's a point to be made here about the GOP voter base...?

Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66151 on: September 30, 2013, 07:59:53 pm »

Since it came up, am I the only one who thought there were interesting similarities between Gryffindor and Slytherin? Ambition and courage are traits which can easily overlap. There's little more motivating than a desire for greatness.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66152 on: September 30, 2013, 08:00:31 pm »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66153 on: September 30, 2013, 08:02:12 pm »

S'not a new idea. I just wanted to talk about my head-canon on what the four houses (esp. Hufflepuff and Slytherin) represent ideally.

Plus it's not often you get to make a coherent (I hope) political thought related to Harry Potter. Yer a wizzerd, Barrack.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66154 on: September 30, 2013, 08:06:39 pm »

Since it came up, am I the only one who thought there were interesting similarities between Gryffindor and Slytherin? Ambition and courage are traits which can easily overlap. There's little more motivating than a desire for greatness.
Eh, most of the houses seem pretty similar to me. It is Ravenclaw and other three in my eyes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66155 on: September 30, 2013, 08:10:30 pm »

Eh, most of the houses seem pretty similar to me. It is Ravenclaw and other three in my eyes.
But Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff are similar too. Knowledge without determination is useless. Determination without knowledge is foolhardy.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66157 on: September 30, 2013, 08:16:31 pm »

Knowledge without determination is useless.
Y U SAY MEAN THINGS BOUT ME BRO?  :'(

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66158 on: September 30, 2013, 08:20:02 pm »

Knowledge without determination is useless.
LIES AND SLANDER!
Oh, but it is quite true indeed. A particularly hard truth for internet nerds, but one that should be recognized all the same. When I was but a child, they told me I was very gifted intellectually. And to their credit, they were right. But what they didn't tell me, what even they did not realize, is that an individual's intellect is only a part of what can bring you greatness. Because I could coast so easily, and because they let me do it because of my natural talent, I eventually found myself lost and without the will to achieve when reality finally caught up with that talent.

Anyway, my point is you should try to work yourself as far as you can push it, regardless of how smart you think you are.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66159 on: September 30, 2013, 08:20:54 pm »

IT BURNS! IT BURNS!!!
Stop the heretic, before he does any more harm!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66160 on: September 30, 2013, 08:22:25 pm »

IT BURNS! IT BURNS!!!
Stop the heretic, before he does any more harm!
I would, but that would be like....work. And stuff.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66161 on: September 30, 2013, 08:24:58 pm »

One of my greatest personal failures is the failure to cultivate skill instead of coasting on talent, and I hold a conflicted anger towards all the people in my life who kept "encouraging" me by telling me I was so smart, letting it get to my head, and leading to my failure in high school on top of all the other problems I had.

And now we're back to sad.

nyulzsiraf

• Bay Watcher
  • Panic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66162 on: September 30, 2013, 08:31:16 pm »

the weather :-\ storm, rain...

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66163 on: September 30, 2013, 08:39:23 pm »

A person can spread knowledge without being determined to do so.  That can be useful to both the person that gives the knowledge and the person that receives it.  A lone person might accomplish little with only one or the other, but people act collectively.  If you're referring to an absolute lack of determination, then the person in question would most likely die, any person that is in such a state from birth would not be able to effectively gain knowledge.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66164 on: September 30, 2013, 09:54:55 pm »

Problem with relying on other people is that you have to rely on other people.
Pages: 1 ... 4409 4410 [4411] 4412 4413 ... 8156