Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4412 4413 [4414] 4415 4416 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8583265 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66195 on: October 01, 2013, 02:38:08 pm »

Well, I think this one girl and I are friends (we talk in class and on the bus), and I'm glad because she's fun to talk to.

Unfortunately, this reminds me of this girl I met, became friends with, and got a crush on last year --only to have her forget about me completely over the Summer.
So now I'm sad.

Also, I think one source of my social ineptitude is my failure to interpret the language of others, because I'm scared of misinterpreting it. I realize that's stupid, but it's the reason I don't always do my work: if I don't think I'll do it right, I won't do it.

Being an obsessive perfectionist is hard, you guys.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #66196 on: October 01, 2013, 04:04:49 pm »

The Pikachu Jumbo Jet got retired.
It's FEF, not FEOF

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66197 on: October 01, 2013, 04:10:41 pm »

Tried to find a place to get my hair cut. Went to one, but it was too formal and kind of expensive. Perhaps more importantly, they did things by schedule only. Not really oriented for a guy who just wants most of his hair removed evenly.

Dammit, I am getting really tired of having to wait to go back to Raleigh in order to have a haircut. I'd just cut it myself, but there's no way that'd end well.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66198 on: October 01, 2013, 04:16:18 pm »

Had a splitting headache, did lots and lots of walking back and forth on stuff that turned out to be pretty pointless. I don't mind lots of walking, I sort of mind lots of walking while carrying a heavy load of school stuff, then discovering you have to walk all the way back the way you came from, then discovering that actually you didn't need to do the thing you're doing.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66199 on: October 01, 2013, 04:38:10 pm »

Bet all my salt on Doomsday, and he lost a fight he shouldn't have.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #66200 on: October 01, 2013, 06:39:06 pm »

I think it's another one of those things where I feel so different from everyone else in society that I'm alienated out of it. I just feel that other people have this emotional stability that keeps them up, while I'm always getting crushed by stupid shit. Like, an example, I feel that the number of places I 'feel safe' going to is dwindling cause that's where I might bump into one of the girls I dated, or it's a place that reminds reminds me of them and thus stands in memoriam of a personal failure.

It might just be like a psychosis from highschool, where whenever I was rejected there I just could never even look them in the eye again, and I could just never cope with how to deal with it so I spent, literally, months trying to stay out of the social frame. It's something that actually crippled my grades cause in one of my math classes that I shared with one such girl, and I felt perpetually awkward and alienated to the degree where I couldn't pay attention to the teacher or my assignments, and it went on like this for what was probably months until there was like a whole committee of school admins and counselors that basically strongarmed me into telling them the truth. They HAD to strongarm me though, cause I absolutely refused to tell them what was wrong, I refused refused refused for months of what was assuaging, and then interrogation, and then duress to get me to open up, but I wouldn't, cause it was a personal failure to me, so I had to just accept the consequences personally. Telling people about my problems was, in my mind, the epitome of personal failure and I was simply too disgusting to even care about anyway. It was only when they started whipping out the legitimate threats of expulsion that I cracked and told them. I actually had to change classes cause of my petty emotional issues. You can probably tell I was a very confused and sad teenager.

And in a way, it still carries on into my adulthood as I dwell and obsess about things, and things just hit me so hard that I'm always sent reeling for weeks at a time if not more.

Another thing, maybe the reason I stopped seeing my shrink awhile ago is that he made a little comment that went like "You have to want help" or something along those lines, and I was just dwelling on that one line, cause damnit I was paying with my own money, of course I wanted fucking help. Apparently if I don't want fucking help I was just going to stop seeing him, it's not my fault if I can't fucking gear myself up to be in a cheerful mood when I'm getting shrunk.

I think the trick for you is to accept failure as ok. That's hard, I know. Really. But accepting that failures in life are inevitable is a way that really helps with dealing with things. Because you will fail. We all do. A lot. Some are little failures, like failing to do something minor for a friend. Others are major, like having a long term relationships crumble. Or being unable to pay your bills. But it's all ok, in the end, as long as you take away something from that failure and do your best not to commit that particular type of failure again in the future.

We learn a lot more from our mistakes than we do our successes, and mistakes and failures are part of living and growing.

Having a person reject you is awkward, pretty much always, but you've got to accept it and move on. Kind of like how you can't just give up on a game because you died/lost/had to restart. A lot of games require multiple failures and restarts and reloads to get through. Life is like that, except we're all on ironman mode and don't get any reloads.

And I don't mean to sound like this is easy and you're lame for not having it down. I never dated in high school. In fact, I've never successfully asked a girl out in my life. I have, however, had quite a few relationships grow naturally and have been married, divorced, and am engaged to be married again. And I still get along fine with all my old girlfriends and my ex-wife. It took a lot of failures and rejections along the way, but I got to the point where I was comfortable with that. A rejection is just a 'no'. It's not any deeper than that, and you can't let it effect you any worse than having someone say 'no, I'm not up for the zoo tomorrow, sorry' or anything else. Even though it feels like it should be more than that, it's really not. Takes a while for that reality to set in, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66201 on: October 01, 2013, 06:46:00 pm »

The problem I have is that I see failure coming up. I see it, I see my not getting high school done, not getting into university, and failing in life in general as a root of that. But I can't get up the urge to do my damn work! I need that kick in the seat of failure, but the only failure that would give me a kick in the seat is the one failure I CANNOT afford!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66202 on: October 01, 2013, 06:50:27 pm »

The problem I have is that I see failure coming up. I see it, I see my not getting high school done, not getting into university, and failing in life in general as a root of that. But I can't get up the urge to do my damn work! I need that kick in the seat of failure, but the only failure that would give me a kick in the seat is the one failure I CANNOT afford!

Maybe try the 'gym buddy' approach? Get a friend who has mostly the same classes as you and do your assignments and whatnot together. It's a lot easier to get stuff done if you have the other person going 'no, man, we need to do X. Come on, let's get it done!'. As long as at least one of you is willing to say that and motivate the other person each time, you'll get more done than you would separately trying to motivate yourselves.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66203 on: October 01, 2013, 06:54:50 pm »

I'm in an independant study program and there's only like 2 other people taking the same courses I am right now. I don't know either of them.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66204 on: October 01, 2013, 06:59:00 pm »

I'm in an independant study program and there's only like 2 other people taking the same courses I am right now. I don't know either of them.

Time to make some friends?
Come play Mafia with us!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #66205 on: October 01, 2013, 11:34:26 pm »

Time to make some friends.
FTFY  :)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66206 on: October 02, 2013, 12:38:43 am »

I'm sick.

Also, yaaaay return of sharing-anxiety, guess I'll be taking a little break from that again.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66207 on: October 02, 2013, 04:13:35 am »

Yes imo it's easier to motivate another then it is to motivate the self, so study/work partner is an excelent idea.

But then I should probably practice what I preach first?  :-\

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66208 on: October 02, 2013, 09:14:28 am »

Woke up this morning feeling very depressed... Also with a general mentality of "I hate the entire human species"...

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66209 on: October 02, 2013, 09:23:30 am »

Woke up this morning feeling very depressed... Also with a general mentality of "I hate the entire human species"...
Just this one morning?  You're doing it wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 4412 4413 [4414] 4415 4416 ... 8156