Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4413 4414 [4415] 4416 4417 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8548081 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66210 on: October 02, 2013, 09:38:14 am »

Woke up this morning feeling very depressed... Also with a general mentality of "I hate the entire human species"...
Just this one morning?  You're doing it wrong.
Like Charlie Brown said, being in a bad mood is hard work.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #66211 on: October 02, 2013, 09:43:56 am »

My teeth hurt. I was like a panda in that I ate dinner (three pizza slices) over the course of an hour. So much pain...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66212 on: October 02, 2013, 10:25:34 am »

I'm sick.

"Fuck you sinuses" fistbump. Damn weather changes...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66213 on: October 02, 2013, 10:39:07 am »

Woke up this morning feeling very depressed... Also with a general mentality of "I hate the entire human species"...
Oh, well, I've always hated the human species, it's just this is rather different in that I've generally been thinking to myself that I could really go for some mass extinction right now.

Also, my friend is now freaking out about the government shutdown, her benefits being cut, and that she thinks there's going to be rioting and looting in the streets.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66214 on: October 02, 2013, 10:46:31 am »

Oh, well, I've always hated the human species, it's just this is rather different in that I've generally been thinking to myself that I could really go for some mass extinction right now.

Also, my friend is now freaking out about the government shutdown, her benefits being cut, and that she thinks there's going to be rioting and looting in the streets.
Maybe if there was, something would actually get done.  I'm practically salivating at the concept of many people getting really pissed off enough about this to actually *do* something. 

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66215 on: October 02, 2013, 12:36:13 pm »

RIP, Mr. Clancy. :(

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66216 on: October 02, 2013, 12:37:45 pm »

Clancy, Clancy ... I vaguely remember the name. Who was?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #66217 on: October 02, 2013, 12:38:25 pm »

Had to explain to my ex why no one invited her to anything (because she can be annoying as hell, I just get it blamed on me for some reason.) Caught me in one of my 'fuck the world' moods. Told her the truth, because, y'know - it's true. Apparently my social issues mean I didn't realise this was as big a problem as it is. I may have just managed to tear my friend group apart. I hate myself right now.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #66218 on: October 02, 2013, 12:39:40 pm »

If your group of friends was already deliberately excluding her, I don't think you're solely responsible for any tearing that might occur.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66219 on: October 02, 2013, 12:41:20 pm »

Clancy, Clancy ... I vaguely remember the name. Who was?

Tom Clancy. Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Rainbow 6?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66220 on: October 02, 2013, 12:42:12 pm »

Ah. He died?
Well that sucks.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #66221 on: October 02, 2013, 12:42:18 pm »

If your group of friends was already deliberately excluding her, I don't think you're solely responsible for any tearing that might occur.
They weren't totally, but to some extent. But I can't help feeling crap.

I also have the issue that whilst my ex was incapable of taking the hint, my mates were equally incapable of telling her the problem. And I have no idea which side was right, because to me both are wrong. :(
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66222 on: October 02, 2013, 02:29:13 pm »

I think it's another one of those things where I feel so different from everyone else in society that I'm alienated out of it. I just feel that other people have this emotional stability that keeps them up, while I'm always getting crushed by stupid shit. Like, an example, I feel that the number of places I 'feel safe' going to is dwindling cause that's where I might bump into one of the girls I dated, or it's a place that reminds reminds me of them and thus stands in memoriam of a personal failure.

It might just be like a psychosis from highschool, where whenever I was rejected there I just could never even look them in the eye again, and I could just never cope with how to deal with it so I spent, literally, months trying to stay out of the social frame. It's something that actually crippled my grades cause in one of my math classes that I shared with one such girl, and I felt perpetually awkward and alienated to the degree where I couldn't pay attention to the teacher or my assignments, and it went on like this for what was probably months until there was like a whole committee of school admins and counselors that basically strongarmed me into telling them the truth. They HAD to strongarm me though, cause I absolutely refused to tell them what was wrong, I refused refused refused for months of what was assuaging, and then interrogation, and then duress to get me to open up, but I wouldn't, cause it was a personal failure to me, so I had to just accept the consequences personally. Telling people about my problems was, in my mind, the epitome of personal failure and I was simply too disgusting to even care about anyway. It was only when they started whipping out the legitimate threats of expulsion that I cracked and told them. I actually had to change classes cause of my petty emotional issues. You can probably tell I was a very confused and sad teenager.

And in a way, it still carries on into my adulthood as I dwell and obsess about things, and things just hit me so hard that I'm always sent reeling for weeks at a time if not more.

Another thing, maybe the reason I stopped seeing my shrink awhile ago is that he made a little comment that went like "You have to want help" or something along those lines, and I was just dwelling on that one line, cause damnit I was paying with my own money, of course I wanted fucking help. Apparently if I don't want fucking help I was just going to stop seeing him, it's not my fault if I can't fucking gear myself up to be in a cheerful mood when I'm getting shrunk.

I think the trick for you is to accept failure as ok. That's hard, I know. Really. But accepting that failures in life are inevitable is a way that really helps with dealing with things. Because you will fail. We all do. A lot. Some are little failures, like failing to do something minor for a friend. Others are major, like having a long term relationships crumble. Or being unable to pay your bills. But it's all ok, in the end, as long as you take away something from that failure and do your best not to commit that particular type of failure again in the future.

We learn a lot more from our mistakes than we do our successes, and mistakes and failures are part of living and growing.

Having a person reject you is awkward, pretty much always, but you've got to accept it and move on. Kind of like how you can't just give up on a game because you died/lost/had to restart. A lot of games require multiple failures and restarts and reloads to get through. Life is like that, except we're all on ironman mode and don't get any reloads.

And I don't mean to sound like this is easy and you're lame for not having it down. I never dated in high school. In fact, I've never successfully asked a girl out in my life. I have, however, had quite a few relationships grow naturally and have been married, divorced, and am engaged to be married again. And I still get along fine with all my old girlfriends and my ex-wife. It took a lot of failures and rejections along the way, but I got to the point where I was comfortable with that. A rejection is just a 'no'. It's not any deeper than that, and you can't let it effect you any worse than having someone say 'no, I'm not up for the zoo tomorrow, sorry' or anything else. Even though it feels like it should be more than that, it's really not. Takes a while for that reality to set in, though.

You're very wise Meph, it would do me good to listen to this advice. I also think you're very lucky, I don't think a relationship could ever "grow naturally" for me, it will always require an incredible amount of personal effort and risk. That's the only kind of reality I can see.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66223 on: October 02, 2013, 02:30:23 pm »

Somehow, I think it's appropriate and poetic that Tom Clancy would die during a government shutdown.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66224 on: October 02, 2013, 02:35:37 pm »

Somehow, I think it's appropriate and poetic that Tom Clancy would die during a government shutdown.

IF he is dead...

DUN DUN DUN!
Pages: 1 ... 4413 4414 [4415] 4416 4417 ... 8155