Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4416 4417 [4418] 4419 4420 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8636418 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66255 on: October 04, 2013, 06:19:02 am »

Can relate :(

My routine:  work 9-10 hours, help a little with chores and feeding the kids, play games for an hour or two, sleep, repeat.
Weekends:  catch up on sleep, do something with family, and bigger chores... maybe see a friend.

I now have a job that I don't hate, so I don't have that dragging me down even more.  But I'm still dealing with that feeling that my life is completely meaningless to me, except I'm required to press on because I have people who depend on me.

I just want more time.  More time to be alone to reflect and be a healthy introvert.  More time to learn and try new things.  More time to pursue long-term goals instead of living day-to-day.  I've felt for the last 4 years like I have no choice but to just tread water and wait for a change in circumstances to come along.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #66256 on: October 04, 2013, 06:45:31 am »

Trying to go to sleep with your right wrist and hand wrapped up in a cast is one of the most frustrating things ever. I'm only up at all right now since I rolled over onto it while sleeping, and now I feel too alert to go back to bed and it's just too god damn early to even think of being up... No one else is up or around either. Bluegh.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66257 on: October 04, 2013, 08:37:38 am »

I go and type something up for a thread, delete it thinking it's terrible.

I fix it and then spend an hour debating if it's still terrible.

I decide it's fine, but I can't build the courage to hit 'Create Thread' for XY or Z reason.

Of course if it is terrible, then I will be told, but me being me, criticism makes me scared so, even if I get something really good, that one thing someone pointed out weighs more than the good.

Goddamnit brain. Stop making me feel sad at the possibility of harsh Internet criticism.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66258 on: October 04, 2013, 09:21:03 am »

A really, really, really, really, really could use a drink.  But I can't have any anymore  D:

Taking up cutting is starting to look more and more attractive for cheap thrills.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66259 on: October 04, 2013, 09:26:39 am »

I also could use a drink. Little one us acting up, fiancee is mad at me, her mother is usurping my parental authority, and the 90 year old grandma that's paying for all of this is being senile. I will never do this again.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66260 on: October 04, 2013, 10:05:59 am »

I also could use a drink. Little one us acting up, fiancee is mad at me, her mother is usurping my parental authority, and the 90 year old grandma that's paying for all of this is being senile. I will never do this again.
Sorry to hear of the drama, but congrats to both of you on the engagement! (this is what happens when I take too long a hiatus)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66261 on: October 04, 2013, 10:18:51 am »

I do need more socializing, and I see my co-translator about once a week or so-- to meet for three hours, get covered in chalk, and argue about fine points of English grammar.  But the other people I thought I would hang out with after moving up here seem to have no interest, especially my DM--what I thought would be a once-weekly gaming session has turned into him refusing to speak to me.  My best female friend isn't exactly enthusiastic about hanging with me either, and the professor who got me this job and said she wanted to have me over for dinner once I moved up here. . . hasn't responded to the email I sent last week yet, though she's always been slow so I imagine she's getting to it.

So, I'm trying to figure out something, dropped by a gaming store the other day to see if any fun groups were open, am considering asking the university origami club if I can join despite being a recent alum rather than a student, and so on and so forth.  It's kind of tough since the entire local social scene revolves around drinking, but I'm working on it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #66262 on: October 04, 2013, 10:42:17 am »

You could always attempt to create a charade involving colored, possibly carbonated, water and fruit juice. They'll be too drunk to tell, by smell alone, what you're drinking. That'd work, right? Right?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #66263 on: October 04, 2013, 10:42:46 am »

Two weeks or so ago I've left my home and moved approximately four hundred kilometers away for university. Today, I had a conversation that thoroughly wiped away any homesickness I might have had, along with making me physically sick.

At least this thread made me consider anesthetizing myself with ethanol. Which is becoming a more and more tempting prospect, were I not afraid it would exacerbate my emotional state. God bless drinking age at 18.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #66264 on: October 04, 2013, 10:46:35 am »

I wouldn't really recommend alcohol as a solution to your problems, unless your problems are purely endurance-based. If they'll blow over by the following morning and you just need to get through the night, go ahead, as long as you don't make a habit of it. Unhealthy stuff to be having routinely, in the quantities that make your problems go away. It'd likely make those problems worse, in the long run.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #66265 on: October 04, 2013, 11:13:01 am »

I wouldn't really recommend alcohol as a solution to your problems, unless your problems are purely endurance-based. If they'll blow over by the following morning and you just need to get through the night, go ahead, as long as you don't make a habit of it. Unhealthy stuff to be having routinely, in the quantities that make your problems go away. It'd likely make those problems worse, in the long run.

Yeah, that's another thing. Better not depend on substances too much. But on the other hand, yeah, it's nothing actually major, nobody died or anything, it's just that my mother seems to think driving me to a mental breakdown is perfectly valid response to confiding in her with any problem, and a fine example of parenting.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66266 on: October 04, 2013, 11:16:46 am »

I think the only teacher I like at all at this school has just been fired.
It's just a rumor right now, but hoping for the best.
I woke up today thinking something bad was going to happen, too.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66267 on: October 04, 2013, 11:29:39 am »

I hate applying for jobs. I already don't do well with rejection and failure, and now I have to stick my face into a buzzsaw made of fail.

It's like speed dating, only you have to find someone to say yes, or YOU STARVE.  :-[

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #66268 on: October 04, 2013, 12:07:41 pm »

If you've noticed a lack of snark, my PC has been dead. PSU literally burnt up, I looked down at my tower and it is doing it's best Harley chopper impression, spewing smoke.

Now my track record of literally burning up electronics consists of a monitor, a cell phone, and a PSU. I wonder what else will catch on fire, my smartphone?

Still waiting for my Ebay-ordered PSU replacement since my PSU was 180$ on newegg. Realizing why I hate Ebay and why Amazon is doing so well.

The shutdown is grinding the last of my republican bones to dust. Urgh. Might join Jesse Ventura to be a part of the 'no party'-party. Enough is enough.

Typing on phones sucks too. Wont say how difficile it is to simply copy+paste.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #66269 on: October 04, 2013, 12:14:58 pm »

Yeah, that's another thing. Better not depend on substances too much. But on the other hand, yeah, it's nothing actually major, nobody died or anything, it's just that my mother seems to think driving me to a mental breakdown is perfectly valid response to confiding in her with any problem, and a fine example of parenting.

Want to know something? Mothers have the special 'Nag' ability. Unfortunately some simply take it as 'Where did I go wrong with you' rather than look at the problem being in them.

Mind you, the Rational Adult faults himself first, and others later. However, shifting the blame is something everyone does. Solution to the problem is generally looking at it from the outside. My mother's a genius in tearing apart my self-esteem, but I'm a tough bastard born to conquer the world, so I build it back up the moment she tears it down.

The trick is letting the thing rest for a day or two. Your brain will automatically come up with enough excuses to bring your mood back up to full power, or outright push the nasty thought at the back of your mind.
Humans aren't made to be depressed, and they aren't made to be cheerful. They're made to be durable.
Grit your teeth and march on, you'll soon feel better.

Another thing is simply screaming your anger out in the middle of nowhere.
That works miracles too.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 4416 4417 [4418] 4419 4420 ... 8156