Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4428 4429 [4430] 4431 4432 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8572300 times)

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66435 on: October 10, 2013, 07:08:16 pm »

I was about to say "My tea has cancer", but that seemed a bit inappropriate and perhaps offensive to some. So eh.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #66436 on: October 10, 2013, 07:26:00 pm »

I was about to say "My tea has cancer", but that seemed a bit inappropriate and perhaps offensive to some. So eh.

So eh... decided to do it anyway, right? :P
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #66437 on: October 10, 2013, 07:27:56 pm »

I don't intend to offend anyone, so yeah, I did :P
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66438 on: October 10, 2013, 09:42:12 pm »

I have had my phone to my ear for half an hour now listening to classical music, waiting for that damn ring meaning it is about to connect me to a human...

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66439 on: October 10, 2013, 10:06:34 pm »

I have had my phone to my ear for half an hour now listening to classical music, waiting for that damn ring meaning it is about to connect me to a human...
Does it interrupt the music every few seconds to tell you you are still waiting?

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66440 on: October 10, 2013, 10:07:39 pm »

Music is the highest artistic expression of humanity's cooperation in the search for something more. It is form from chaos, beauty from drudge, and the painful and pure elucidation of all that is good within us.

You have always been connected with the human, Max White. Connected with us all. Just open your ears.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66441 on: October 10, 2013, 10:14:01 pm »

Does it interrupt the music every few seconds to tell you you are still waiting?
Nope. Although I'm pretty sure I have been through the entire loop of Vivaldis greatest hits, 1720s edition.

Music is the highest artistic expression of humanity's cooperation in the search for something more. It is form from chaos, beauty from drudge, and the painful and pure elucidation of all that is good within us.

You have always been connected with the human, Max White. Connected with us all. Just open your ears.
Well that is all well and good, but can I connect to a meat human now, rather than the sonic type? The fleshy ones tend to have more practical application.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66442 on: October 10, 2013, 10:15:05 pm »

Well that is all well and good, but can I connect to a meat human now, rather than the sonic type? The fleshy ones tend to have more practical application.
Not over the phone you can't.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66443 on: October 10, 2013, 10:15:43 pm »

There is nothing truly practical or worthwhile except beauty.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66444 on: October 10, 2013, 10:15:54 pm »

I can't do accounting... I just can't do it. I wasn't built for that kind of mechanical detail work. My mom barely scraped through accounting in college, and so did her mom (my grandmom). Fascinating how that works, innit?

Right now, I've got a B in the class. Doubt I'll be able to bring it up to an A. Everything else is fine, but man. Just... Accountants. How do they WORK?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66445 on: October 10, 2013, 10:20:13 pm »

It's a puzzle where all the parts fit together. It's like turn based tetris with numbers and fairly basic math. It's both convoluted and basic, engaging and meditative. Accountancy is the zen of simple fiscal math.

Accountants work because it's actually fairly interesting reading what messages the language of money says, and playing with the grammar and sentence structure.

It's just... it's kinda' neat, y'know? Just enough detail minded to need some attention, just formulaic enough you can mostly turn your brain off regarding the mechanics of it and pay attention to the big picture. It's... somewhat fun. Getting that damned equation to balance can be frustrating and engaging and rewarding when it finally comes into equilibrium and the numbers check out. Good times.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66446 on: October 10, 2013, 10:23:42 pm »

I can't do accounting... I just can't do it. I wasn't built for that kind of mechanical detail work. My mom barely scraped through accounting in college, and so did her mom (my grandmom). Fascinating how that works, innit?

Right now, I've got a B in the class. Doubt I'll be able to bring it up to an A. Everything else is fine, but man. Just... Accountants. How do they WORK?

Gah, tell me about it. I have no idea how long I had to stare at this

Until I was able to memorize it.

So long as you can make your assets = liabilities + equity, you'll be 'kay. Unless you are doing a midterm, like I am tomorrow. In which case, PANIC MODE ACTIVATED!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66447 on: October 10, 2013, 10:27:08 pm »

Hah :D well put, Frumple. Truth be told, I have a distinct memory problem, so trying to remember where everything is and which entry I need from which accounts on which statements feels impossible.

Perhaps accountants simply do not have this problem and in fact thrive in the long, step-by-step tedium. It's hard to grasp but definitely conceivable.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66448 on: October 10, 2013, 10:43:49 pm »

Well, it... it's not exactly tedium. It's... kinda' like watching or playing with a falling sand simulator? Or, again, like playing tetris. S'playing with an action-reaction event and seeing what happens. Stuff like that. Honestly not too terribly far, sensation wise, from playing DF. It's a mathematical slinky and the information you're feeding into what you're doing is the stairs. Everyone loves slinkies... right? When you're actually playing with them, the time passes quick and after a bit it starts taking less and less time 'cause you're more comfortable having it skip stair steps or bounce off people's heads or whatever.

At least, so long as you don't come into it thinking it's tedium. Readjust how you look at it, would be my suggestion. It's something to play with, y'know?

As to that pic, well... some of the stuff's been slightly different for me (Drawing was generally just withdrawls for the earlier stuff, and has transitioned into dividends as we're working more on corporate stuff, and owner's capital has largely transitioned over to stockholder's equity.), but really... I, uh. I don't think I ever actually memorized all of those. You only need (if that) to know half of them (maybe less!), really :P So long as you know the normal balance of one of the accounts you're dealing with, the rest tend to fall into place due to obvious reasons, heh. Though there are plenty of little... wuzzat things, acronyms or whatever (like, ferex, one of my current class largely deals with LACERD -- Liabilities, assets, common stock/stockholder's equity, expenses, revenue, dividends, and they alternate normal balances: CDCDCD.). There's a fair amount of those that can help out if you're actually trying to full stop memorize things.

Contra and adjunct accounts make things more fun, too~

E: Also, yanking out a spreadsheet program and using it helps ridiculous loads when it comes to keeping track of things :P
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:52:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #66449 on: October 10, 2013, 10:51:53 pm »

There is nothing truly practical or worthwhile except beauty.

Good thing beauty can be found in anything, huh?
Pages: 1 ... 4428 4429 [4430] 4431 4432 ... 8156