Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4450 4451 [4452] 4453 4454 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8578523 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66765 on: October 21, 2013, 09:16:03 pm »

Like MSH said - would you love someone if he started committing atrocities? If one day, he woke up and decided that from now on, he will begin every day with torturing a kitten to death?

The thing I don't understand here--the thing I really don't understand--is why the people in this conversation don't seem to think "emotionally abusing a person to a point of nearly killing themselves" is an atrocity.
Wait wat.
I haven't been following it, but could I have some context here?
They keep on saying "but your unconditional love could not possibly stand for a person who committed an atrocity," despite my having revealed that I have an abiding care for the wellbeing of someone who nearly drove me to suicide.  Therefore that person's actions must not constitute an atrocity.
You're willing to overlook it. That's a big difference.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66766 on: October 21, 2013, 09:16:05 pm »

Uh.
That ... seems to be overly harsh logic. Unconditional love for a person even if they do harm to you is a thing.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #66767 on: October 21, 2013, 09:22:50 pm »

It goes with understanding. No matter how bad the other person is, they still have redeeming qualities.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66768 on: October 21, 2013, 09:25:17 pm »

It goes with understanding. No matter how bad the other person is, they still have redeeming qualities.

I have a difficult time going that far.  You don't have to have good qualities to be loved.

I have PTSD.  It is literally impossible to "overlook" it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #66769 on: October 21, 2013, 09:26:40 pm »

I really should quit smoking but it's sort of hard... Oddly enough I'm not terrified of the prospect of getting lung cancer but the thought of getting oral cancer sort of freaks me out.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66770 on: October 21, 2013, 09:27:40 pm »

Welp, I just failed my big ol' accounting exam when I actually had a fair hope for it.

Ugh.

got a 44 on my first AP CALC test. I cried.

for 5 minutes... and these aren't pussy tears, these are manly sobs. I mean you would have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by them.

Anyways, I know how that feels.

EDIT: this was a few weeks ago.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66771 on: October 21, 2013, 09:28:26 pm »

I have a difficult time going that far.  You don't have to have good qualities to be loved.

I have PTSD.  It is literally impossible to "overlook" it.
So you can acknowledge the fact that this person has very little good qualities, if any (from what I've inferred), and almost drove you to suicide at one point, which is a bad thing by most moral codes, and you still unconditionally love them.
Why are people making a fuss about this?
Sig! Onol

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66772 on: October 21, 2013, 09:29:58 pm »

I really should quit smoking but it's sort of hard... Oddly enough I'm not terrified of the prospect of getting lung cancer but the thought of getting oral cancer sort of freaks me out.
Dude.
Do it. Lock yourself in a room for a week if you have to, but quit the damn things.
Their effects are bad and horrible and badhorriblebad, not necessarily in that order.
Sig! Onol

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66773 on: October 21, 2013, 09:35:42 pm »

Like MSH said - would you love someone if he started committing atrocities? If one day, he woke up and decided that from now on, he will begin every day with torturing a kitten to death?

The thing I don't understand here--the thing I really don't understand--is why the people in this conversation don't seem to think "emotionally abusing a person to a point of nearly killing themselves" is an atrocity.
Wait wat.
I haven't been following it, but could I have some context here?
They keep on saying "but your unconditional love could not possibly stand for a person who committed an atrocity," despite my having revealed that I have an abiding care for the wellbeing of someone who nearly drove me to suicide.  Therefore that person's actions must not constitute an atrocity.
Or therefore you have severe issues to care about someone who acted in that manner towards you. There are many people who care for others who they should not.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66774 on: October 21, 2013, 09:37:31 pm »

Addict yourself to something else. :P

No, seriously. Have something else you do instead of smoking. Distract yourself!

Preferably not with something harsher than tobacco, though.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66775 on: October 21, 2013, 09:38:56 pm »

Dude.
Do it. Lock yourself in a room for a week if you have to, but quit the damn things.
Their effects are bad and horrible and badhorriblebad, not necessarily in that order.
Losing the tobacco urge doesn't take a week, it takes months. And even then the desire tends to remain in a suppressed form for the rest of a person's life.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #66776 on: October 21, 2013, 09:40:13 pm »

[...]You don't have to have good qualities to be loved.
Ooohhh, wait, yeah. This is my point. I think I lacked wording in mine. :S Love without any conditions to be loved.

Because love is free and it does nothing bad for you if you give it.

Or therefore you have severe issues to care about someone who acted in that manner towards you. There are many people who care for others who they should not.
"Should"? So you can wholly define a person because of a misgrievance they did in a certain point of time? (Wherein certain point of time usually dictates either ignorance/bias on the offender's side, or lacking wisdom and thought into their action)

Dude.

Losing the tobacco urge doesn't take a week, it takes months. And even then the desire tends to remain in a suppressed form for the rest of a person's life.
Nicotine. Chemicals. Addictive. :/
It's all in the choice though. You've the full choice on smoking or not.

Also bolded my stance on it. You do not want to see the effects of long term smoking. It is horrible and the effects are always permanent--alveolar damage to the lungs, and shortened breathing, to say bluntly.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:42:03 pm by Tiruin »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66777 on: October 21, 2013, 09:40:55 pm »

Dude.
Huh. The basic point I was making was 'Dude. Quit them with all possible haste. They suck.'
Sig! Onol

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66778 on: October 21, 2013, 09:41:02 pm »

Addict yourself to something else. :P

No, seriously. Have something else you do instead of smoking. Distract yourself!

Preferably not with something harsher than tobacco, though.

TV Tropes? Twitter? Pintrist?

I'm not sure if those are addictive, I'm bad at internet.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66779 on: October 21, 2013, 09:41:27 pm »

Because love is free and it does nothing bad for you if you give it.

This, basically.
Pages: 1 ... 4450 4451 [4452] 4453 4454 ... 8156