Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4465 4466 [4467] 4468 4469 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8567203 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66990 on: October 27, 2013, 09:51:06 pm »

As an American, I know only one thing about Scotland. It isn't kilts, it bagpipes, or Braveheart, because all that stuff has been absorbed into American culture, though not to the extent that I would like. No, what I know is that there is a Chinese takeaway opening soon in Galashiels, and you should go visit it when it opens, because my sister and brother-in-law want anonymous feedback.

As an American, I know one thing about every single country on Earth. You really should not fuck with them, because humans live there, and humans are unutterable abominations capable of incalculable cruelty, inestimable badassery, and prodigious cunning. They also probably have really great food, so you should go there and make friends and eat their delicious foreign foods while paying a reasonable price and adhering to local tipping customs.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66991 on: October 27, 2013, 09:54:18 pm »

We are America. Your culinary distinctiveness will be added into our own. Resistance is futile.

I'm not even really joking on that. I realized it was only a matter of time around the point the Mongolian restaurants started appearing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66992 on: October 27, 2013, 09:55:08 pm »

As an American, I know one thing about every single country on Earth. You really should not fuck with them, because humans live there, and humans are unutterable abominations capable of incalculable cruelty, inestimable badassery, and prodigious cunning. They also probably have really great food, so you should go there and make friends and eat their delicious foreign foods while paying a reasonable price and adhering to local tipping customs.

I don't think 'As an American' has the implication of knowledge of foreign countries, as you made it sound. :p

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66993 on: October 27, 2013, 10:00:00 pm »

I don't think 'As an American' has the implication of knowledge of foreign countries, as you made it sound. :p

The first three words of your sentence reveal the conflict in this situation. :P

Jibs aside, Americans are just like other people. You know, they're people. Ignorant, foolish, superstitious, easily misled, frightened... PEOPLE. You cannot generalize an entire country, especially one as large as the USA, with simple stereotypes. The reality is more complicated than, "Americans are ignorant of foreign culture" or "British people are really polite" or whatever lazy stereotype we might want to throw in there.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66994 on: October 27, 2013, 10:08:57 pm »

'Humans are human'.

BEAT THAT, GHANDI
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66995 on: October 27, 2013, 10:38:48 pm »

The first three words of your sentence reveal the conflict in this situation. :P

Jibs aside, Americans are just like other people. You know, they're people. Ignorant, foolish, superstitious, easily misled, frightened... PEOPLE. You cannot generalize an entire country, especially one as large as the USA, with simple stereotypes. The reality is more complicated than, "Americans are ignorant of foreign culture" or "British people are really polite" or whatever lazy stereotype we might want to throw in there.

I'll quote a letter from the BBC addressing complaints of stereotpying:

“We are sorry if we have offended some people, but jokes centred on national stereotyping are a part of Top Gear’s humour, and indeed a robust part of our national humour. Our own comedians make jokes about the British being terrible cooks and terrible romantics, and we in turn make jokes about the Italians being disorganised and over dramatic; the French being arrogant and the Germans being over organised. When we do it, we are being rude, yes, and mischievous, but there is no vindictiveness behind the comments.

Lighten up a little ;)
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66996 on: October 28, 2013, 12:42:19 am »

'Humans are human'.

BEAT THAT, GHANDI

Quote from: Ghandi
YOLO

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66997 on: October 28, 2013, 12:44:18 am »

'Humans are human'.

BEAT THAT, GHANDI

YOLO
Tell that to every cat ever, beyatch.
In fact, everyone: whenever anyone near you says YOLO, dress them up as a cat. This will give them 9 lives. Then they can't say YOLO.
Sig! Onol

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66998 on: October 28, 2013, 12:47:39 am »

'Humans are human'.

BEAT THAT, GHANDI

YOLO
In fact, everyone: whenever anyone near you says YOLO, dress them up as a cat. This will give them 9 lives. Then they can't say YOLO.
YOLNT
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66999 on: October 28, 2013, 12:48:57 am »

'Humans are human'.

BEAT THAT, GHANDI

YOLO
YOLNT
But that sounds vaguely like 'ent'.
Therefore all YOLOers are Ents.
Sig! Onol

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67000 on: October 28, 2013, 01:20:23 am »

'Humans are human'.

BEAT THAT, GHANDI

YOLO
YOLNT
But that sounds vaguely like 'ent'.
Therefore all YOLOers are Ents.
That makes "The Last March of the Ents" make so much more sense.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67001 on: October 28, 2013, 06:01:18 am »

As an American, I know only one thing about Scotland. It isn't kilts, it bagpipes, or Braveheart, because all that stuff has been absorbed into American culture, though not to the extent that I would like. No, what I know is that there is a Chinese takeaway opening soon in Galashiels, and you should go visit it when it opens, because my sister and brother-in-law want anonymous feedback.

Whenever I find myself in the hellhole of debauchery and sin that is Galashiels I will attempt to locate an uncharacteristically fresh-looking Chinese takeaway.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67002 on: October 28, 2013, 12:22:50 pm »

Got sicker, staying home from work, blegh.  Had an awful nightmare about some people who used to sexually harass and abuse me, too, and couldn't have gotten more than four hours of uninterrupted sleep.

I probably should have chuckled up and gone but this is pretty much the very best day I could possibly have off--like "heavens have aligned" level of opportunity.  So I'll stay home today, nurse myself back to health, and finish off the rest of my ABSOLUTELY HUGENORMOUS to-do list.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #67003 on: October 28, 2013, 01:31:19 pm »

I almost broke down and started crying in public today
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67004 on: October 28, 2013, 01:35:45 pm »

D:

* kaijyuu hugs
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 4465 4466 [4467] 4468 4469 ... 8156