Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4468 4469 [4470] 4471 4472 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8558447 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #67035 on: October 29, 2013, 02:18:24 am »

An actual quote might be more specific of what you consider "whiny".
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67036 on: October 29, 2013, 02:33:15 am »

An actual quote might be more specific of what you consider "whiny".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67037 on: October 29, 2013, 02:49:09 am »

Yeah I didn't see any of those >____>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67038 on: October 29, 2013, 03:15:19 am »

Well, given the current conversation, this is pretty poorly timed--but I'm posting anyway.  I've had a lot of time to think this over through being sick and whatnot.

I've finally hacked through most of my bullshit psychological self-defense mechanisms and all that's left is a very pure feeling of pain and longing that I don't know how to deal with anymore.

Normally I'd say "Ugh, I don't want to feel anything ever again!" or internally fume and think: "Yuck, V., you're such a girl" or try to think of some way to FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT (but from experience, that tension just makes everything worse) or call someone to talk to them, scratching a non-functional personal companionship itch.  And it's not just about negative emotions, because I also feel happiness now without trying to qualify "but that's not really important" or "don't get too happy about that, you're going to look like an idiot" or trying to dredge up everything negative in an experience I can possibly think of.  Or I'd get angry. . . or I'd laugh.  Anything to cheapen my emotions and make them faker, add a layer, convince other people that I'm unfeeling and cynical enough.  Anything to convince others that I'm deep and tough enough that I really couldn't be moved--by broken ribs, by heartbreak, by love, by music.

The bullshit attempt to qualify everything as "new" or "not new."  "I'm used to it.  It's fine."  "I'm so happy--this has never happened before."  All ways to try to make good things look larger, and bad look smaller--and refuse to confront them as themselves.

And my old black-and-white way of seeing has finally diminished, and I can see that all my appeals to essential principles were . . . wrong.  It wasn't true that no one had been kind to me, or that no one had been kind enough.  I shunned people who DID exist, and I welcomed people I shouldn't have, often on opinion rather than any sort of moral decision--and tried to pretend it wasn't so.  And I never meant to do so. . . but I have to be honest, now, that I have been plenty "shallow."

Over the past few weeks I've cleared these things out and cleared them up and seen more clearly and despite what I said above this is new, or at least it feels unfamiliar--it's leaving me unsteady.  I can't tell you if I've been like this before, or when, or how I dealt with it.  I simply don't remember well enough who I was as a child.  And I can't tell you what I'll do, since I don't have any plans.

I really. . . just want to go, day by day, feeling warm, being loved.  I'll admit it baldfaced, now.  I've pretended, off and on, that this wasn't the case, and made a lot of bad decisions based on the idea that cold comforts were good enough; that all I cared about, in life, was polish and brilliance.  Some of this was abusive conditioning, and some of it was just me being an idiot.  No, it wasn't true.  Was it ever true?  I don't know.  All I know is that it's not true right now.

Hi, I'm Vector, and I like collecting cute dishes and warm socks, and reading romantic poetry, and I always fantasize about sewing lovers shirts.  And I like running around underdressed in the rain and mist and martial arts and yes, the way to my heart is through my stomach (I'm not a great cook, and haven't loved myself all that much, to be frank), and I always miss my old friends terribly--even when they were bad for me.  I like moths and bugs and mathematics and am too embarrassed to wear cute hairclips but I always stand around awkwardly in the aisle staring at them before moving on to look for presents to buy somebody else.

No one's ever cut my hair but myself and my mother and although I mostly wear black and dark blue most everything else I buy is pastel and over-decorated, and none of it matches.  I'm desperately afraid of being boring and alone forever and I have a mild speech impediment I'm both ashamed and proud of.  I bend easily to peer pressure and am kind of a hypocrite but for some reason I refuse to do anything about my hairy toes despite everything and I've spent a lot of my life being kind of mean and uppity, which I'm pretty sure I'll either be atoning for until I die or I'll forget about by tomorrow.  Probably both.

And I don't know if I'm going to always be able to admit it, but I'll be completely forthcoming today.  It's getting easier, and I feel better.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67039 on: October 29, 2013, 03:19:06 am »

@string of comparisons between justgirlythings and war/soldier images

If it's a criticism of justgirlythings, it IS a piss poor one, since it reeks of "someone else has it worse." That's a pathetic way to dismiss anything.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #67040 on: October 29, 2013, 03:21:45 am »

Well, given the current conversation, this is pretty poorly timed--but I'm posting anyway.  I've had a lot of time to think this over through being sick and whatnot.

I've finally hacked through most of my bullshit psychological self-defense mechanisms and all that's left is a very pure feeling of pain and longing that I don't know how to deal with anymore.

Normally I'd say "Ugh, I don't want to feel anything ever again!" or internally fume and think: "Yuck, V., you're such a girl" or try to think of some way to FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT (but from experience, that tension just makes everything worse) or call someone to talk to them, scratching a non-functional personal companionship itch.  And it's not just about negative emotions, because I also feel happiness now without trying to qualify "but that's not really important" or "don't get too happy about that, you're going to look like an idiot" or trying to dredge up everything negative in an experience I can possibly think of.  Or I'd get angry. . . or I'd laugh.  Anything to cheapen my emotions and make them faker, add a layer, convince other people that I'm unfeeling and cynical enough.  Anything to convince others that I'm deep and tough enough that I really couldn't be moved--by broken ribs, by heartbreak, by love, by music.

The bullshit attempt to qualify everything as "new" or "not new."  "I'm used to it.  It's fine."  "I'm so happy--this has never happened before."  All ways to try to make good things look larger, and bad look smaller--and refuse to confront them as themselves.

And my old black-and-white way of seeing has finally diminished, and I can see that all my appeals to essential principles were . . . wrong.  It wasn't true that no one had been kind to me, or that no one had been kind enough.  I shunned people who DID exist, and I welcomed people I shouldn't have, often on opinion rather than any sort of moral decision--and tried to pretend it wasn't so.  And I never meant to do so. . . but I have to be honest, now, that I have been plenty "shallow."

Over the past few weeks I've cleared these things out and cleared them up and seen more clearly and despite what I said above this is new, or at least it feels unfamiliar--it's leaving me unsteady.  I can't tell you if I've been like this before, or when, or how I dealt with it.  I simply don't remember well enough who I was as a child.  And I can't tell you what I'll do, since I don't have any plans.

I really. . . just want to go, day by day, feeling warm, being loved.  I'll admit it baldfaced, now.  I've pretended, off and on, that this wasn't the case, and made a lot of bad decisions based on the idea that cold comforts were good enough; that all I cared about, in life, was polish and brilliance.  Some of this was abusive conditioning, and some of it was just me being an idiot.  No, it wasn't true.  Was it ever true?  I don't know.  All I know is that it's not true right now.

Hi, I'm Vector, and I like collecting cute dishes and warm socks, and reading romantic poetry, and I always fantasize about sewing lovers shirts.  And I like running around underdressed in the rain and mist and martial arts and yes, the way to my heart is through my stomach (I'm not a great cook, and haven't loved myself all that much, to be frank), and I always miss my old friends terribly--even when they were bad for me.  I like moths and bugs and mathematics and am too embarrassed to wear cute hairclips but I always stand around awkwardly in the aisle staring at them before moving on to look for presents to buy somebody else.

No one's ever cut my hair but myself and my mother and although I mostly wear black and dark blue most everything else I buy is pastel and over-decorated, and none of it matches.  I'm desperately afraid of being boring and alone forever and I have a mild speech impediment I'm both ashamed and proud of.  I bend easily to peer pressure and am kind of a hypocrite but for some reason I refuse to do anything about my hairy toes despite everything and I've spent a lot of my life being kind of mean and uppity, which I'm pretty sure I'll either be atoning for until I die or I'll forget about by tomorrow.  Probably both.

And I don't know if I'm going to always be able to admit it, but I'll be completely forthcoming today.  It's getting easier, and I feel better.
This right here? This is proof that you're a strong person.
You are you; whatever comes of that will happen on it's own dues, but take comfort in the fact that you know who you are.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #67041 on: October 29, 2013, 04:59:20 am »

@Vector: I'm glad it's getting easier for you. I rather admire you, and I wish you well.

As for ne, it's four in the morning and I can't sleep. I feel angry and hateful and tired. Intellectually, I know that I have no real reason to feel this way, but that doesn't change the way I feel. This is the kind of thought pattern I've fallen into over my life, and it's become a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy. I expect cruelty an meanness from everyone I meet, so this causes me to focus upon the things that support this viewpoint, while ignoring the things that contradict it. It causes me to react to people with fear and suspicion, which in turn causes them to respond negatively, further reinforcing my viewpoint. I know that I do this, but it's really hard for me to stop. I especially view school as a Bad Place, which is rather unfortunate, because I somewhat enjoy learning. It's not always this bad, but right now I'm having a rough time of it. I can fight it to some extent, but it's exhausting and it hurts, and I'm really tired of it.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67042 on: October 29, 2013, 05:32:16 am »

If it's a criticism of justgirlythings, it IS a piss poor one, since it reeks of "someone else has it worse." That's a pathetic way to dismiss anything.
I'm pretty sure the point is that they are not just girly things.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67043 on: October 29, 2013, 05:46:13 am »

ehh

another prospective friend turns out to only hang out with me because i happen to try to ignore how goddamn obnoxious their 2deep4u attitude is i mean you're an adult get it together goddamn

doesn't help the situation that whatever's bad about him i'm supposed to absolutely fucking adore while my own flaws, even pre-filtered via various measures are rubbed in my face to the point where i should have friction burns

who's going to take me in and let me leech off their stuff so i don't have to deal with meatspace anymore, fuck meatspace yo

i can cook well?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67044 on: October 29, 2013, 08:03:32 am »

I would, but I'm already leeching off someone else's stuff. Well, not exactly, but close enough.

Anyway, I've just felt generally sad today and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's my hearing getting worse? Maybe it's the stuff I've been eating lately? Maybe it's boredom, and having no nearby friends?
Or maybe I'm just in a bad mood for some reason. Who the hell knows.
Going to visit friends in Melbourne next month, though, so that should cheer me up.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67045 on: October 29, 2013, 08:08:18 am »

I thought it was just a genuine "soldiers have it rough" thing. Coupled with whiny teen images to drive home the point.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67046 on: October 29, 2013, 09:33:19 am »

AC4 is out... I think... Probably...

And I don't have enough money and my parents are a bit short due to insurance reasons.

Sigh

#firstworldproblems :P

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67047 on: October 29, 2013, 09:34:58 am »

I thought it was just a genuine "soldiers have it rough" thing. Coupled with whiny teen images to drive home the point.
I just think that it's too much of a coincidence that out of all of the blogs of that nature out there, they picked the one called "justgirlythings".
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #67048 on: October 29, 2013, 10:10:18 am »

AC4 is out... I think... Probably...
Better tell muh bro. AC is to him like MGS is to me.

Speaking of new video games, I learned that Oddworld New 'n' Tasty probably won't be released for quite a while.

(Whining noise)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #67049 on: October 29, 2013, 10:26:45 am »

That's an epiphany if I'd ever seen one. You reached it on your own, too. That's a big damn achievement.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 4468 4469 [4470] 4471 4472 ... 8155