Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4471 4472 [4473] 4474 4475 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8575291 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #67080 on: October 30, 2013, 08:24:29 pm »

Believe it or not, human interaction is the highlight of many people's existences :P It's certainly high tier in mine.

I take the existentialist approach and just say each to their own, though.
I understand that being social and stuff is a crucial thing, yeah. I dunno. I feel like it's just unfairly portrayed as...a stereotype, I guess. It's like the end all defining factor on a persons' self-worth. "If you don't have tons of friends, you're weird and a loser and a failure" is a basic summary.

If having friends and whatnot is so important to people, then why would someone not want to be friends with someone who otherwise has no friends and is a social outcast if their not having friends is what makes them an outcast in the first place? In the same situation the socially successful person would want friends, why would they want to put someone else through the same discomfort when they could prevent it?

If having friends is so important why can't everyone just magically get along? :P

Yeah, I don't know clearly what I'm trying to talk about here. Obviously though, we've determined I'm not a teenage girl or a social butterfly.

I think what had triggered my current train of thoughts is how I realized that I want attention. Like, I want to do something that can actually impress people.
I have a similar sorta thought process. I think I'm more geared towards just doing something so good that it happens to get attention. As long as I'm satisfied with the result though, I don't mind a lack of attention.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #67081 on: October 30, 2013, 08:37:19 pm »

I demand all marvel at things I accomplish that I deem worth marveling. To compensate, I don't deem things marvelable very often, and the things I do deem are generally very impressive. My goal in life is to switch this paradigm and have people marvel at me by virtue of me being marvelable of my own accord.

On Consoling, I have had unfortunate amounts of experience in that genre.
Believe it or not, human interaction is the highlight of many people's existences :P It's certainly high tier in mine.

I take the existentialist approach and just say each to their own, though.
I understand that being social and stuff is a crucial thing, yeah. I dunno. I feel like it's just unfairly portrayed as...a stereotype, I guess. It's like the end all defining factor on a persons' self-worth. "If you don't have tons of friends, you're weird and a loser and a failure" is a basic summary.

If having friends and whatnot is so important to people, then why would someone not want to be friends with someone who otherwise has no friends and is a social outcast if their not having friends is what makes them an outcast in the first place? In the same situation the socially successful person would want friends, why would they want to put someone else through the same discomfort when they could prevent it?

If having friends is so important why can't everyone just magically get along? :P

Yeah, I don't know clearly what I'm trying to talk about here. Obviously though, we've determined I'm not a teenage girl or a social butterfly.
The problem, as kaijyuu's response had hints of but didn't really mention, is that people are varied. Mind-blowingly so. It is not only possibly, but highly probable that there are millions of people, hundreds of millions more likely, whose combinations of view points are utterly incomprehensible to you, and not on smaller things, but on what could be called the postulates of the mind: The basic assumptions are different.

What that means is that a lot of people don't want friends for the sake of having friends. Or, possibly, they want friends within a certain level of similarity to themselves. Most do not share kaijyuu's viewpoint of "friends for friends sake", or rather lack a certain openness that limits them to whatever company they enjoy. Which simply happens to be a lot.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67082 on: October 30, 2013, 09:33:22 pm »

Yeah, I noticed most of my emotion thread posts were related to human interaction, and not Borscht like everyone else.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67083 on: October 30, 2013, 10:01:00 pm »

Join the borschtocratic republic!!

Naw but seriously it's all cool, people get to be sad about what they feel sad about.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67084 on: October 30, 2013, 10:28:59 pm »

I need to stay away for 7 more hours in order to get my ornery sleeping schedule under control, and get things flipped so that I'm night owling it up again.

I already feel like I'm gonna pass out.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67085 on: October 30, 2013, 10:31:47 pm »

I've mentioned this before, but I've found that I'm actually pretty funny most times. Mostly when I say things off the top of my head, without really thinking much. Luckily, I'm not someone who thinks offensive things, so that's not a problem. I probably get annoying sometimes though.

EDIT: By this, I don't mean "random access humor". RAH seems really pointless and unfunny to me, personally. What I mean is more "banter" and so on. Y'know, those witty comebacks that you think of five minutes after the conversation? They tend to come to me before anything else I could say.
EDITEDIT: I just realized I used a term from the CWCiki. Thanks, whoever posted that link earlier. My vocabulary is enhanced.

I've noticed I'm really loud in this one class primarily because I'm trying to impress this one girl. I'm finding I'm a little jealous of one of my friends who sits next to her, which makes me sad. I mean, he already gets on my nerves a little, but I don't need more reasons to not want to sit next to him in the next class.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:37:22 pm by Thecard »

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #67086 on: October 31, 2013, 01:14:59 am »

I think what had triggered my current train of thoughts is how I realized that I want attention. Like, I want to do something that can actually impress people.

This is something I've been wrestling with for years, yet I still have nothing. If there's something for everyone, I've yet to find mine. I really, really need to stop all this moping, but.

Yeah I kind of hate how things goes. The same people who preach about equality and opportunity would throw themselves over and praise better people as "geniuses" and shit. But it's not really how people just aren't skilled enough, because a highschool dropout and really bad artist like Hitler would tell you otherwise. It's more because we just don't have opportunity. Like how some people will get lucky and will just stay lucky for the rest of their life.

What really bothers me also is how I supposedly fit into the "gifted" group but I get less awards and recognition than other people anyways. It's like I'm the unskilled skilled.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67087 on: October 31, 2013, 01:22:46 am »

This is something I've been wrestling with for years, yet I still have nothing. If there's something for everyone, I've yet to find mine. I really, really need to stop all this moping, but.

Yeah I kind of hate how things goes. The same people who preach about equality and opportunity would throw themselves over and praise better people as "geniuses" and shit. But it's not really how people just aren't skilled enough, because a highschool dropout and really bad artist like Hitler would tell you otherwise. It's more because we just don't have opportunity. Like how some people will get lucky and will just stay lucky for the rest of their life.

What really bothers me also is how I supposedly fit into the "gifted" group but I get less awards and recognition than other people anyways. It's like I'm the unskilled skilled.

if you praise better people as "geniuses" you're acknowledging they were "born with it" therefore you aren't really worse than them, it's just that they won the gene lottery. it's more a self-defense mechanism than anything

people who are actually gifted tend to underachieve because fuck getting ahead of the others it's a horrible bother and then you've got unrealistic expectations slapped on you as a label, and if you screw up just once you'll get an incredible amount of shit flying your way (and trust me, you will screw up)

of course i'm not saying that applies to you

what i am saying applies to you is if you don't polish that talent you're going to be far behind people who never really had it because they worked their ass off, f.ex. i'm not really a linguist but i were fluent enough in english to take a cae exam at the age of 16 due to my teacher being the sort of person who was both nice to the point of absurdity yet strict when situation demanded as i've already had preexisting skill due to the rather early introduction to the internet (my father signed up with the first telecoms company in the country to actually offer internet access) and then i had loads of material thrown at me until i finally understood what the christ a past perfect continuous was (it only went downhill from there, by the way)

i lost my point. can you find it for me? i'd appreciate that, thanks

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67088 on: October 31, 2013, 01:35:33 am »

I keep saying that praising a childs natural talent / calling them "bright" or "gifted", is the one sure-fire way to screw them over and have them coast through life until they reach a wall where their talent fails them and people who developed skills surpass them.

It's much better to praise things they can influence, such as effort and time spent on learning and skill building, than praising something they cannot influence. If they encounter failure, then the effort-praised will perceive a deficit of effort and work harder. While the talent-praised will perceive it as a deficit of talent and decide "I'm just not good at this." and give up.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67089 on: October 31, 2013, 01:49:01 am »

I keep saying that praising a childs natural talent / calling them "bright" or "gifted", is the one sure-fire way to screw them over and have them coast through life until they reach a wall where their talent fails them and people who developed skills surpass them.

It's much better to praise things they can influence, such as effort and time spent on learning and skill building, than praising something they cannot influence. If they encounter failure, then the effort-praised will perceive a deficit of effort and work harder. While the talent-praised will perceive it as a deficit of talent and decide "I'm just not good at this." and give up.
You have all of my yesses, my +1s, and my thiiiiiiissss. Very much so.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #67090 on: October 31, 2013, 01:54:08 am »

The sad thing is that this is probably the first exam that I'm actually making an effort to study for. While I don't expect it to make miracles happen, maybe I could push myself off the rut that I'm stuck in.
I know this girl who I used to be friends with but we kind of drifted apart after a while who was always making great scores and winning academic competitions. I think that back then I was about on par with her, perhaps even better, so I'm thinking that maybe if I try to push myself I could maybe catch up with her again.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67091 on: October 31, 2013, 01:59:34 am »

The sad thing is that this is probably the first exam that I'm actually making an effort to study for. While I don't expect it to make miracles happen, maybe I could push myself off the rut that I'm stuck in.
I know this girl who I used to be friends with but we kind of drifted apart after a while who was always making great scores and winning academic competitions. I think that back then I was about on par with her, perhaps even better, so I'm thinking that maybe if I try to push myself I could maybe catch up with her again.

what sort of inane things could actually be a challenge to you

sit down grab them books and a pack of [insert preferred snack], throw some light music on at a low volume also chew gum

the last part i never actually did because i used it for the more utilitarian "goddamn i just ate a bunch of onions and i'm expected to socialize right now" stuff but according to some nerdlords your brain will map its taste to the stuff you're learning so if you also chew it during the exam (if you're not in uni by now, do it stealthily there's chances they don't even care much) you'll be able to recall more than otherwise

also take breaks every half hour or you'll fizzle out like one of these fireworks made out of barium nitrate and iron filings

this assumes you don't know much of studying. not trying to insult you or your abilities in any way, and make sure to relax a bit before you actually sit down, just take it easy and solve shit

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67092 on: October 31, 2013, 02:09:32 am »

Also, divide your time up. If you have 5 pages/areas/books/programs to study and 5 hours/days/weeks to study them in, then do no less than a page/area/book/program a time-period. You COULD do more, but not less than!

And if you complete it with time to spare, you can feel free to take a break if you need one. Just keep an eye on that division, don't want your break to roll over into the next time-period.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67093 on: October 31, 2013, 02:10:30 am »

descan

how do you call the fireworks made out of barium nitrate and iron filings i've got nothing

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67094 on: October 31, 2013, 02:11:30 am »

Well, I typically speak the words "secu lari Thermite", and a bunch kind of... appears.

That's how I generally call the fireworks.
Pages: 1 ... 4471 4472 [4473] 4474 4475 ... 8156