Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4476 4477 [4478] 4479 4480 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8572092 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #67155 on: November 01, 2013, 10:38:08 am »

Not quite. National/regional identities remain very important in the modern age to the point that you can't really escape it,
Says you.

But then again, I'm a secluded introvert from a country that's 45% immigrant families, so what do I know.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67156 on: November 01, 2013, 10:40:38 am »

Says you.

But then again, I'm a secluded introvert from a country that's 45% immigrant families, so what do I know.

Says I and most of Europe apparently, otherwise I'd be speaking to you from the United States of Europe. We're still knee deep in old world thinking, especially the UK. People are still fighting and dying for the sake of nationalism outside of Europe but in those areas "ethnicity" and "nation" blur, as in Mali, Chechnya, Sri Lanka, Philippines, Myanmar etc. The idea of civic nationalism hasn't exactly reached those areas yet.

I think nations have to go through a process of breaking up into smaller ones based around what people are most comfortable with (usually historical lines i.e. the original tribal kingdoms that remain very clear to us to this day), ensuring no Moscow, London or Madrid based elite controls any more empires. Those movements must be based around civic nationalism, not ethnic nationalism. Once states are formed by people who are united in their commitment to their nations and their desire to make it better regardless of their heritage, then we can all get on with our lives, form bigger, peaceful federations or whatever. The world just needs to get this old world stuff out of its system, all of it.

If we don't do this and keep it all simmering under the surface as it is now then stuff like ethnicity can bubble to the surface from people frustrated and confused about their identities. That's when things turn ugly.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:01:47 am by Owlbread »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67157 on: November 01, 2013, 11:17:37 am »

Yet I did manage to avoid it. Yay being a shut-in!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67158 on: November 01, 2013, 11:27:18 am »

Yeah, I'm a Canadian born and raised, and I identify more with Scotland than Canada. 'Course, I DO like being a Canadian. So I use a Scottish Canada flag, I need to get it made so I can hang it in my room.

Anyway, the only connection I have to Scotland is a name and a grandfather born in Nova Scotia (before that, don't know how long ago they moved to Canada from Scotland) but still!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67159 on: November 01, 2013, 11:31:49 am »

What is the Scottish Canadian flag out of interest?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67160 on: November 01, 2013, 11:49:32 am »

Got it from alt-history forum (the big one).

Dunno if there's an -actual- scottish Canada flag, but I like this one over the others I've found because it actually looks like a flag? Rather than like, the Canadian flag with the maple-leaf turned into a Cross of St. Andrew.

Anyway, here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67161 on: November 01, 2013, 11:53:31 am »

That's great. I really like that, especially the way they've got the Lion Rampant's colours and the Maple Leaf combined.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67162 on: November 01, 2013, 01:37:09 pm »

And then Owlbread and Descan had sloppy makeouts. It was hot.
THE END
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67163 on: November 01, 2013, 01:43:09 pm »

I will just sit here, not at all bitter that the Union Jack kinda forgets my cold damp corner of the UK then...
This is a blank sig.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67164 on: November 01, 2013, 01:45:40 pm »

Och, Scanada!  :P

Where law enforcement is handled by the brave Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen, of course.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #67165 on: November 01, 2013, 02:24:24 pm »

Scorpion peppers while on antibiotics: Never again. I think I just lost 3 or 4 pounds over the course of 15 minutes, and I'm going to spend the rest of the day walking funny.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67166 on: November 01, 2013, 02:44:16 pm »

Och, Scanada!  :P

Where law enforcement is handled by the brave Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen, of course.
Never a poor excuse for some R&S

Scorpion peppers while on antibiotics: Never again. I think I just lost 3 or 4 pounds over the course of 15 minutes, and I'm going to spend the rest of the day walking funny.
Not too bloody, I hope.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67167 on: November 01, 2013, 02:47:40 pm »

Wrong thread.

:-\

Never knew there was a Scottish-Canadian flag. I thought the closest to that would be the flag of Nova Scotia. I have one hanging up on my wall.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 02:53:44 pm by BlackFlyme »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67168 on: November 01, 2013, 03:09:06 pm »

Like I said, it's a "fan-made" flag. No institution uses it, and in fact, no alt-hist fic (afaik) uses it. I got it from a Flag request thread. (Someone else requested it, I just yoinked it~)

And yes, Scanada. >_> Or Cheanada.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67169 on: November 01, 2013, 03:31:04 pm »

One day, I'll figure out my family history. As it sits, I still know absolutely nothing farther back than my great-grandfather, as far as my father's side is concerned.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 4476 4477 [4478] 4479 4480 ... 8156