Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4515 4516 [4517] 4518 4519 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8578400 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #67740 on: November 21, 2013, 01:49:26 am »

For a moment I (somehow) thought Vector was taking up medicine and was going through the examinations :O

The thing I'm scared of is that I'll have to go in for all these exams and they still won't solve my chronic lung problems...
They will. Its in the detection of the cause that's..the problem. Blood collection usually pertains to detecting anything that may be affecting the body through the study of the blood and its components, and even unrelated things to the perceived problem.

Hope it goes well Vector :)
Edit:
Hah. Yeah. A friend of mine, she was... Exceedingly sheltered. Aaaaand then she did her OB/GYN rotation.

I'm not gross or anything but I really don't want a dude I've just met's hands/metal instruments all up in my bits =/
Think of em more on the Professional side than the..gender side. These people have a creed and code to stick to, and I'm pretty darn sure that any man practicing OBGYNE sticks to his principles and not..err, other stuff that is against the medical principles.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:51:03 am by Tiruin »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #67741 on: November 21, 2013, 01:54:32 am »

Toady still isn't finished with the list for this release.
I'd predict this would happen anyway (Toady being right with dates? Impossibru.), but still.

... He's activating the entire world. It's going to take a little work.

I know, but look at how long we've been waiting for it now.
DF2014, calling it.

Won't be as long as The Great DF2010 Wait until 27 Dec, mind.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #67742 on: November 21, 2013, 02:56:15 am »

I'd predict this would happen anyway (Toady being right with dates? Impossibru.), but still.
DF2014, calling it.
Even if it will be 2014, it'll still be worth the wait.
It's the single biggest shift in the game since the shift from 2D to 3D.
Indeed. Being an adventurer that spawns on year 1 will be viable!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67743 on: November 21, 2013, 02:57:23 am »

I'm not gross or anything but I really don't want a dude I've just met's hands/metal instruments all up in my bits =/
Having had a doctor be all inspecting my genitals previously, it's not that bad. They generally understand that you want physical contact to be kept to a minimim.
Though then again gynaecologists actually have equipment in there so that might not be as much of a thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #67744 on: November 21, 2013, 03:43:04 am »

DF2014, calling it.
Even if it will be 2014, it'll still be worth the wait.
It's the single biggest shift in the game since the shift from 2D to 3D.
Indeed. Being an adventurer that spawns on year 1 will be viable!

Could someone give me a short summary of the Big New Things of DF2014? I didn't follow the news that much, then suddenly ERMAGHERD NEW VERSION INCOMING!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #67745 on: November 21, 2013, 07:35:58 am »

There are elf cities and dorf forts out in the wild, and you can reclaim abandoned dorf forts from worldgen, and there's multi-tile trees, etc.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67746 on: November 21, 2013, 07:40:39 am »

There are elf cities and dorf forts out in the wild, and you can reclaim abandoned dorf forts from worldgen, and there's multi-tile trees, etc.

Checked Sad Thread, this was the first post I saw without the above for context. First thought: Why is Japa sad about this OH WAIT I SEE.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #67747 on: November 21, 2013, 10:45:56 am »

The thing I'm scared of is that I'll have to go in for all these exams and they still won't solve my chronic lung problems...

Hah. Yeah. A friend of mine, she was... Exceedingly sheltered. Aaaaand then she did her OB/GYN rotation.

"Nope! No lung problems in here!"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67748 on: November 21, 2013, 11:01:00 am »

The thing I always try to keep in mind with medical professionals is that by the time they finish their residency they are already so jaded that there is nothing you can do, say, or be afflicted with that could possibly faze them or alter their thoughts in any meaningful way.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67749 on: November 21, 2013, 11:49:51 am »

The thing I always try to keep in mind with medical professionals is that by the time they finish their residency they are already so jaded that there is nothing you can do, say, or be afflicted with that could possibly faze them or alter their thoughts in any meaningful way.
...Wow, this is jaded. >_>
Can I say that I'm a medical professional? Not yet, but from experience with said people?
..That's like giving a subtle stereotype to them.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67750 on: November 21, 2013, 11:51:51 am »

Can I say that I'm a medical professional? Not yet, but from experience with said people?
Surely it's part of their job to not be scared/disgusted/otherwise-suffering-strong-emotions due to the ailments of others?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #67751 on: November 21, 2013, 11:55:55 am »

Part of the job to not display such, at least. Is usually pretty poor bedside manner, as well as potentially causing panic/etc. in patients. Doesn't mean they don't feel it, though, especially after the fact, so to speak. Reaction of such nature is for after the job is done, not during.

That said, folks in the active side of the medical field do tend to get pretty jaded after a bit, from what I've seen (several family members with either medical training or in related fields; emergency response, etc.). Person can get used to a lot.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:57:51 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67752 on: November 21, 2013, 11:57:59 am »

Surely it's part of their job to not be scared/disgusted/otherwise-suffering-strong-emotions due to the ailments of others?

Nope. It's part of their job to not display said strong emotions. Doctors certainly get used to being surrounded by patients, pain and death, but that doesn't mean it no longer affects them.

My dad's a doctor, has been for nearly thirty years, so all of our family friends are similarly in the medical profession too. And if there's one thing I've learned, it's that no matter how experienced you are as a doctor there's still something, somewhere, which can sneak up and suckerpunch you.

They're just really good at controlling their emotions, because few things freak a patient out more than a doctor that doesn't appear confident and in control.

EDIT: Ninja'd! Damn.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67753 on: November 21, 2013, 01:11:43 pm »

Part of the job to not display such, at least. Is usually pretty poor bedside manner, as well as potentially causing panic/etc. in patients. Doesn't mean they don't feel it, though, especially after the fact, so to speak. Reaction of such nature is for after the job is done, not during.

That said, folks in the active side of the medical field do tend to get pretty jaded after a bit, from what I've seen (several family members with either medical training or in related fields; emergency response, etc.). Person can get used to a lot.
My dad's a doctor, has been for nearly thirty years, so all of our family friends are similarly in the medical profession too. And if there's one thing I've learned, it's that no matter how experienced you are as a doctor there's still something, somewhere, which can sneak up and suckerpunch you.

They're just really good at controlling their emotions, because few things freak a patient out more than a doctor that doesn't appear confident and in control.
True this. My parents are both family are all doctors, and most of my instructors and friends who I talk with have extensive experience in the field.

I can tell stories which would make anyone weep because of how...or what they experience. However stating outright that being jaded post-residency along with that kind of wording?

I do hope you worded that wrong. Because if otherwise, then you're inciting a really bad outlook in seeing people. Being jaded is subjective to the person's personality//character, because through ~35+ years or so of service, I don't see any kind of apathy or 'jaded'ness in those I talk with everyday, and trust my life to (figuratively/literally).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:16:23 pm by Tiruin »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #67754 on: November 21, 2013, 01:59:21 pm »

My sister organized conferences, most of which are for doctors. The stories she can tell about them are... strange.
Pages: 1 ... 4515 4516 [4517] 4518 4519 ... 8156