Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4534 4535 [4536] 4537 4538 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8589476 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #68025 on: December 01, 2013, 11:19:48 am »

Hear hear! Bah humbug!

Also, add on the fact that social coercion makes gift-giving meaningless.  I'd much rather receive a tiny gift, at any time of the year, than have friends and family blow their rent and food budgets out of a feeling of obligation.

I tend to just grab small things to give to friends as I see them and have the extra pocket-change to do something nice.  Usually while shopping for books, but that's just me.

Le sigh.
Whenever I try to make points like these, I just get called a grinch or grumpy or whatever. Then again, I usually launch profanity laden tirades to make the point, so that may have something to do with it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68026 on: December 01, 2013, 11:28:31 am »

I'll concede the gift giving is dumb. Past that, chrismas, eff yeah! Should be year around.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68027 on: December 01, 2013, 11:34:03 am »

Well we give gifts to each other all through the year in my family. Whenever I'm on holiday, or my family are on holiday, they get gifts for everyone. We get gifts on our birthdays, sometimes at New Year and basically any time we see something they might like/need and it's not too close to Christmas or their birthday, e.g. you're out shopping and you see a cookery book your mother might like or something like that. When I was a wee boy my dad used to buy me gifts just because he'd been away working abroad for a week, when I was much, much younger he sometimes brought back stuff from work. It would be unsustainable to get/buy any more gifts than that.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:36:27 am by Owlbread »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68028 on: December 01, 2013, 11:45:52 am »

I'll concede the gift giving is dumb. Past that, chrismas, eff yeah! Should be year around.
I would kill someone if I had to listen to the music and hype year round.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68029 on: December 01, 2013, 11:57:11 am »

I would kill someone if I had to listen to the music and hype year round.
Winter should be a time of quiet and cold and 6 hour days. If people want to be noisy and stupid then they can do it in summer.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #68030 on: December 01, 2013, 01:48:08 pm »

Winter should be a time of quiet and cold and 6 hour days. If people want to be noisy and stupid then they can do it in summer.
Nah, spring or fall. Summer's too hot to move/breath/exist and winter's too nice. In between periods is probably better, plus most everyone's at work or whatev' so any noise is likely away from people trying to get along with life. Exile that stuff to the seasons no one seems to feel particularly strongly about.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #68031 on: December 01, 2013, 01:54:46 pm »

I really feel like linking to 'A Christmas Carol' as some sort of judgemental troll tactic thing.

Go for it.  The only xmas film worth watching is Gremlins, anyways.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68032 on: December 01, 2013, 01:55:29 pm »

I really feel like linking to 'A Christmas Carol' as some sort of judgemental troll tactic thing.

Go for it.  The only xmas film worth watching is Gremlins, anyways.
Agreed.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #68033 on: December 01, 2013, 05:18:52 pm »

So, the radio I've been listening to for the last five years is basically committing radio-suicide in an hour. They sold all the broadcast stations outside of the capital and are moving to Internet. Oh, and they already fired two of the very popular DJs.

It was one of the two listenable-to stations (translation: was not stuck fifty years in the past and wasn't raping my ears with pop).

Much, much sadness to be had.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #68034 on: December 01, 2013, 05:19:55 pm »

So, the radio I've been listening to for the last five years is basically committing radio-suicide in an hour. They sold all the broadcast stations outside of the capital and are moving to Internet. Oh, and they already fired two of the very popular DJs.

It was one of the two listenable-to stations (translation: was not stuck fifty years in the past and wasn't raping my ears with pop).

Rah-Dio?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #68035 on: December 01, 2013, 05:22:28 pm »

Rah-Dio?

Although it flatters me that you cannot tell, I'm Polish (or, as I prefer to put it to confuse people, I am a pole). So yeah, not like it's going to tell you much.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68036 on: December 01, 2013, 05:28:39 pm »

Just watched The Butler.  What an amazing, thoughtful, and I daresay important film.

CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #68037 on: December 01, 2013, 05:56:30 pm »

Oh bloody hell. The radio just aired a song the band altered for them, then 'Always Look on The Bright Side of Life' and now The Doors' 'The End'. EVERY-FUCKING-BODY knows it's over, except the execs claim they're just moving to the internet because of the growing audience there.

GodDAMMIT.

E: Dead now. Replaced by a pop station. I didn't think it would feel so sad, I almost felt like crying.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:05:53 pm by scrdest »

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68038 on: December 01, 2013, 06:05:51 pm »

Oh bloody hell. The radio just aired a song the band altered for them, then 'Always Look on The Bright Side of Life' and now The Doors' 'The End'. EVERY-FUCKING-BODY knows it's over, except the execs claim they're just moving to the internet because of the growing audience there.

GodDAMMIT.

Wow.  Any station that would play Monty Python and the Doors is truly one to be missed.  Reminds me of when the local rock station was bought out by a multinational, and changed formats to pop-country.

I feel your pain.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68039 on: December 01, 2013, 06:31:32 pm »

Forums seem to be having a lot of issues today  :-\
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4534 4535 [4536] 4537 4538 ... 8156