Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4595 4596 [4597] 4598 4599 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8568013 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #68940 on: January 09, 2014, 07:14:43 am »

Namely, racism is "natural."
I fail see how it's natural when, as a child, one of my first friends was of another race. When the two of us found out that racism exists (we had to be told about it) we were shocked to find out that people actually shunned other people for having different skin colors. In fact, most of the class we were in at the time were surprised by that fact. I think racism may have been natural at one point, but if that's the case, I can find some pretty clear evidence the we're evolving out of it.

The primary school I went to was a very multicultural group - so we never picked on people for looking / sounding / doing things differently - i remember quite innocently referring to a Sri Lankan friend as 'brownie', when I couldn't remember his name (I was 5, lol) - parents hurriedly told me not to refer to someone by their skin colour, but as a young child i just thought of it as a descriptor, the same way you'd say 'that blonde haired kid with glasses'.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68941 on: January 09, 2014, 07:44:48 am »

That reminds me - how acceptable/inacceptable is it to use the term 'black' in the US?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68942 on: January 09, 2014, 07:46:08 am »

That reminds me - how acceptable/inacceptable is it to use the term 'black' in the US?
As far as I (a non-American) know, I think its ok as long as you don't use the Spannish word.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68943 on: January 09, 2014, 07:50:01 am »

Non-racially, it's completely acceptable. Racially, it's mostly acceptable, with contextual exceptions. For example, you can say "he's black", or "he's a black guy", but you should never say "he's a black".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68944 on: January 09, 2014, 07:58:48 am »

But really, in my opinion.. It's rather strange to call a person black when they have a brown hue to their skin.
Overall, I think it's silly to define people by skin color.
Althtough it's even sillier to call someone an 'African American' when they live in another country, such as the UK.
Just my opinion tough.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #68945 on: January 09, 2014, 08:01:05 am »

"Well, yes, Mr. Police, the robber was a young teenager about 16 years of age, with short black hair and -what, WHAT? What do you mean what their skin color is?!?!? YOU RACIST!"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68946 on: January 09, 2014, 08:31:00 am »

But really, in my opinion.. It's rather strange to call a person black when they have a brown hue to their skin.
It's not as if most white people are literally white either. "Pink-peach-tan" just doesn't have the same ring to it. Also, people on the far end of the melanin spectrum really do have a shade that can only be described as black (conversely, the skin of albinos can only really be described as white).
Althtough it's even sillier to call someone an 'African American' when they live in another country, such as the UK.
That's not standard practice, though morons who haven't thought about the term have been known to do it. You have to be American to be African-American.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68947 on: January 09, 2014, 08:49:45 am »

Had to write an introductory letter for a course I'm taking. I'm terrible at writing about myself.

"Yes, hello. I am robot, here is checklist."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #68948 on: January 09, 2014, 11:51:33 am »

A cousin attempted suicide today. Wrists and pills. She's in the ICU now.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68949 on: January 09, 2014, 02:35:54 pm »

Shit dude, that sucks. I know that's a horrible understatement, but the medium of text is hard to get emotions across. I wish her a swift recovery.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #68950 on: January 09, 2014, 03:04:54 pm »

Expected delivery date:
Thursday 5 June 2014

Shipping Method:
Prime Premium Shipping
whatisthis

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68951 on: January 09, 2014, 03:08:49 pm »

Free shipping for prime service subscribers, of course. Amazon Prime isnt just for inexpensive movie streaming. :)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #68952 on: January 09, 2014, 03:10:47 pm »

Yes but why must it take months if the book has been out since late 2013 >.>

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68953 on: January 09, 2014, 03:12:46 pm »

It's after christmas. JUST after christmas in fact.

The US had serious trouble with package snarlups and labor issues, and Amazon was no stranger to this.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #68954 on: January 09, 2014, 03:14:59 pm »

That's not standard practice, though morons who haven't thought about the term have been known to do it. You have to be American to be African-American.
I think the term is poorly used in almost all situations. Those are landmasses, not genetic backgrounds. Check it:

Black-skinned person born in America, whose family six generations back were born in America: Not African-American.
Black-skinned person born in Cuba who immigrated to America: Not African-American.
Black-skinned person born in American who immigrated to Australia: Not African-American.
White-skinned person born in Nigeria who immigrated to America: This one is an African-American!

I suspect it came about as a politically-correct way to refer to black people, probably a result of census use and popularized by the police and military jargon. You know, like "I arrived on the scene and witnessed one male African-American individual and one male Caucasian individual conversing." It's just a thing people blurt out of their mouths hoping nobody gets offended.

Also people like to hold onto their ethnic backgrounds despite transplanting to a different culture. It must be very hard to immigrate somewhere where nobody speaks your language or uses your religion or customs. I think it's why ex-pats like to band together into sub-communities.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 4595 4596 [4597] 4598 4599 ... 8156