Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4609 4610 [4611] 4612 4613 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8570400 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #69150 on: January 15, 2014, 07:03:41 pm »

Once you leave, you can get into an engineering course.

Once you get into an engineering course, you can specialize in mechanical engineering.

Once you specialize in mechanical engineering, you can create a super-tank.

Once you create a super-tank, you can drive it over anyone who ever wronged you while laughing maniacally.

But only if you get good grades.
There was actually a guy who did that, wasn't there?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #69151 on: January 15, 2014, 07:05:56 pm »

The guy that converted the bulldozer into the tank?
Yep.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69152 on: January 15, 2014, 07:19:40 pm »

My dog hurt his paw somehow.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69153 on: January 15, 2014, 07:24:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure I don't even have proper feelings anymore?
Sometimes I'll get the physical responses to them, but no recognition of the actual emotions inside my head.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69154 on: January 15, 2014, 07:25:37 pm »

There's the possibility of a Taiwan/Korea research trip that would fulfill my degree's final requirements two years early (I wouldn't be graduating early, I'd just have the end finished), and that I could almost certainly get the money for. And yet...I don't know. It just gives me massive anxiety to even think about it, and I feel like I should just be searching for an internship instead of burning a few thousand dollars on this. I wouldn't even really be taking anybody else's money because I have a fund, and this is hardly recreational, but it still bothers me. Uncertainty is really unpleasant.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69155 on: January 15, 2014, 08:12:39 pm »

Bittersweet:

My boss quit last week, leaving one of my co-workers to try to fill his shoes as a temporary liason with upper mgmt. That's fine, I like the guy.

However, my employer has been acting stupidly lately ever since we were purchased by a fortune 500 company.

I am a CNC programmer. I make the program instructions to make industrial robotic mills cut parts out of raw material. Not all industrial robots are created equally. Some have radically better functionality than others.

Recently, my employer has been trying OH so VERY hard to pretend that they are created equally, sending parts to have programs made for them, to run on machines those parts should NOT be made on. They *want* to use a uniform "machine availability" metric to chart their ability to take orders, when there are some things that simply shouldn't be done on certain kinds of machine.

For instance, cutting 3D lofted contoured parts on a leadwell 3-axis machine, with a crippled Fanuc OM controller sporting a "mighty" 49kb of ram. Yes. 49 KILOBYTES. These machines are quite old.

You have to understand: what COULD take 1 or 2 tool paths on a multi-axis mill, will take several dozen to do with a ballnosed tool on a 3 axis mill. Combine that with "teensy weensy allowed program size". I have spent a week and a half on a part that could have been done in less than 2 days, doing nothing but fighting the controller space limit.

The bittersweet: My co-worker who is filling the bigboy shoes until they can be properly filled said he will bring up the issue of inefficient programmer time use vs productivity gain for parts like this.

Maybe-- just maybe--  the insanity will finally stop, and these parts will go on the machines they are supposed to go on.

But I don't have very high hopes. Corporate imbeceils LOVE their metrics, and LOVE simplifying reality into simple numbers for their projections. They aren't terribly fond of gritty realities like these.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #69156 on: January 15, 2014, 08:50:44 pm »

49k? I've built CNC machines with more RAM than that.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69157 on: January 15, 2014, 09:06:23 pm »

Don't get me started.

I've *already* pulled up enough whitepapers and documentation on the ancient antedeluvian horror's controller and the specific NEC SRAM modules inside to completely wallpaper out department, pointing out that we can upgrade the controller to 300kb+ for about 30$.

Even where they can order the modules from, and the step by step instructions on how to do it.

Instead, they seem hell bent on paying me by the hour, with overtime no less, to turn out programs for parts that should never be made on those machines, while fighting insanely patheti, controller limits.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to program kellering operations for complex parts under such conditions? Geeze!

This last program I made has pocketing routines that make me want to vomit blood from how horrid they are, and I am JUST BARELY in the size restriction. If I used proper pocketing with helical motions, the tape would be over 200kb. (I know, I checked.)

This is insanity.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69158 on: January 15, 2014, 09:10:59 pm »

I just took it. Whatever abuse they hurled at me, I tanked. They eventually stopped, but it sure as hell wasn't healthy for me. Now I really have to work at giving any shits about anything. My Grandma died, and I just went "So?". That isn't healthy, and no shrink is ever gonna help me with this.

Yeah, I used to do that too.  I feel you.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69159 on: January 15, 2014, 09:27:57 pm »

It's nearing 44C here in Melbourne. We have no AC, and the power is likely to go out at some point to conserve the state's electricity.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69160 on: January 15, 2014, 09:31:20 pm »

Bathtub full of cold water.

Don't overlook it if heat distress is possible (such as with high humidity).
Also, consider old school ice cube trays in the top freezer of the refrigerator. A few of those in said cold water bath can be very helpful.

*has had heat distress moments working in 110F weather (very close to said 44c weather) that required cold water immersion. It works. It can save lives. Don't overook it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69161 on: January 16, 2014, 01:09:53 am »

A friend of mine is in serious trouble. Apparently her mothers boyfriend, who they were both living with, is somewhat of a bastard. She didn't want to state outright, but I get the strong impression she suffered some form of sexual abuse, but either way it is very clear several forms of abuse happened. This boyfriend and her mother had some sort of argument and he kicked them both out, so now they are living in a womans shelter.
She told me about this today during my break when she came into work to tell our manager that she wouldn't be able to come in for a while. She is actually from Malaysia and apparently came here when something similar happened with her biological father. I spent a good half hour trying to convince her to go talk to the police, but she doesn't seem to think they will help. Can't blame her, coming from Malaysia I can see why she would have that impression of law enforcement, but over here there is a lot in her favor right now that she should be using right now...

I'm too fucking sober for this.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69162 on: January 16, 2014, 02:04:43 pm »

The Banner Saga came out and I don't has the money to buy. ;-;

HOW CAN I CALL MYSELF A CHIBI VIKING NOOOOW? D:
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69163 on: January 16, 2014, 02:07:41 pm »

you're still cute though

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #69164 on: January 16, 2014, 02:20:17 pm »

Bathtub full of cold water.

Don't overlook it if heat distress is possible (such as with high humidity).
Also, consider old school ice cube trays in the top freezer of the refrigerator. A few of those in said cold water bath can be very helpful.

*has had heat distress moments working in 110F weather (very close to said 44c weather) that required cold water immersion. It works. It can save lives. Don't overook it.
You actually get an awful lot of cooling from evaporating water, even if it's warm water. At night you can lie in bed naked and wet your skin down with a washcloth, and set up a fan at the end of the bed, and cool yourself off to the point where it feels actually kinda chilly. It's questionable whether that will actually cool the room, because you'd need somewhere for the evaporated water to go and condense. But if you have a window open to push moist air out of, it will allow warm air from outside to enter.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 4609 4610 [4611] 4612 4613 ... 8156