Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4651 4652 [4653] 4654 4655 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8569363 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #69780 on: February 04, 2014, 03:49:48 pm »

I find that I'm unable to think about Minecraft while driving because it takes up all my spatial thinking bandwidth leaving me unable to understand where I am going and stay in a lane. If I half-think about Minecraft it's unsatisfying and I don't bother.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69781 on: February 04, 2014, 03:51:58 pm »

I find that I'm unable to think about Minecraft while driving because it takes up all my spatial thinking bandwidth leaving me unable to understand where I am going and stay in a lane. If I half-think about Minecraft it's unsatisfying and I don't bother.

God, is that what it is nowadays?  I'm pretty sure that something like half my brain is persistently running Tetris.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #69782 on: February 04, 2014, 03:53:01 pm »

Yeah you don't want to drive too slow and cause an accident.

On my practical driving test I actually got marked down for stopping at sleepy residential intersections I didn't need to stop at. You're just supposed to slow down and keep a sharp eye, I guess.

I'd rather take the one or two minors for that than pull out of one too quickly and have FERRARIOWNER666 run into you. :P

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #69783 on: February 04, 2014, 03:55:11 pm »

Maybe if I drive fast enough they'll give me two drivers licenses.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #69784 on: February 04, 2014, 04:24:14 pm »

I think my neurochemistry got fucked up. I'm getting bouts of apathy and sleepiness that completely don't match my normal patterns, along with a drop in appetite so hard I feel like I ate too much after eating a sandwich three hours ago.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #69785 on: February 04, 2014, 05:01:08 pm »

As far as driving tests go, follow the law to the letter even if it doesn't make sense.

As far as actual safety goes, your biggest danger generally isn't how you drive*, it's usually how the rare incredibly crazy driver coming at you drives
You have obviously never driven through Toledo. Had a guy almost cwash into me earlier because he was driving backwards down one street (for at least a full block) and backed onto the one I was on. At the next intersection, a cop (with neither lights nor siren active, mind you) rounded the corner at what had to be more than sixty and barely missed my car.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69786 on: February 04, 2014, 05:03:42 pm »

I suppose it depends how you define "rare." You see thousands of cars on the road every day. Only a handful of those are crazy. Still, you see some crazy people every day.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69787 on: February 04, 2014, 07:36:32 pm »

*sigh* calculus issues. Psychology issues, plus there's a guy I know who's generally a pretty relaxed guy... but he's been saying some things that can be frankly kind of disturbing.

Today I was sitting next to him eating lunch and I spotted this one woman walking through the common area where we were sitting together. I was trying to figure out if she was actually this one person I know, or if she just looked like her, which led to an exchange that went like this:
Him: "You think that girl is pretty?"
Me: "Err I guess?"
Him: "I don't think you do, you had a 'Fuck off Bitch' expression on your face when you were looking at her." (this actually makes some sense, my resting face is often interpreted as being very moody)
Me (befuzzled) : "Err, I guess she's pretty, I just really don't... care particularly? I mean it's nothing against her personally..."
Him: "I'm just saying, I hear you about the whole 'fuck off bitch' thing, I used to feel that way all the time about pretty girls, ... (I sort of miss most of this part he's saying something about self-confidence or something that I don't hear because he's talking quietly and I can't hear him over the background noise, but it ends with...) ... But you know, you may think they don't want you to bother them, and maybe they do, but you should go bother the people you want to bother, and talk to the people you want to talk to, even if they don't want you talking to them."

... This guy is seriously a pretty charming and nice guy in general... but he's seriously disturbing the crap out of me at this point.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #69788 on: February 04, 2014, 07:46:00 pm »

---

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #69789 on: February 04, 2014, 08:05:14 pm »

*sigh* calculus issues. Psychology issues, plus there's a guy I know who's generally a pretty relaxed guy... but he's been saying some things that can be frankly kind of disturbing.

Today I was sitting next to him eating lunch and I spotted this one woman walking through the common area where we were sitting together. I was trying to figure out if she was actually this one person I know, or if she just looked like her, which led to an exchange that went like this:
Him: "You think that girl is pretty?"
Me: "Err I guess?"
Him: "I don't think you do, you had a 'Fuck off Bitch' expression on your face when you were looking at her." (this actually makes some sense, my resting face is often interpreted as being very moody)
Me (befuzzled) : "Err, I guess she's pretty, I just really don't... care particularly? I mean it's nothing against her personally..."
Him: "I'm just saying, I hear you about the whole 'fuck off bitch' thing, I used to feel that way all the time about pretty girls, ... (I sort of miss most of this part he's saying something about self-confidence or something that I don't hear because he's talking quietly and I can't hear him over the background noise, but it ends with...) ... But you know, you may think they don't want you to bother them, and maybe they do, but you should go bother the people you want to bother, and talk to the people you want to talk to, even if they don't want you talking to them."

... This guy is seriously a pretty charming and nice guy in general... but he's seriously disturbing the crap out of me at this point.

His prose is odd, but I think he's trying to help you out. It sounds like he went through a rough patch and got over it, and doesn't want you to be in the same situation.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69790 on: February 04, 2014, 08:07:08 pm »

He sounds like a PUA asshole to me.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #69791 on: February 04, 2014, 08:08:21 pm »

I think he means well.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #69792 on: February 04, 2014, 08:09:42 pm »

Whatever negativity you can derive--he does mean well, only that he has his own negative experiences and tries to correlate it in what he's trying to tell you.

Aaaand that you didn't address his assumption that your face = how you feel. :p

But in all seriousness. He does mean well, and doesn't harbor malice there.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69793 on: February 04, 2014, 08:12:24 pm »

I think he's trying to instill confidence, though perhaps with bad justification. You should be able to talk to people without being afraid that they're just humoring you or something, but I don't think blithely yammering on without caring whether they want to listen to you or not is a good way to go about it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69794 on: February 04, 2014, 08:13:48 pm »

To me it sounds like he was trying to be encouraging, but messed up his words a bit.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 4651 4652 [4653] 4654 4655 ... 8156