Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4652 4653 [4654] 4655 4656 ... 7785

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 4766447 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #69795 on: February 18, 2014, 09:42:19 pm »

My grandma just called me a guy in a Facebook message. I'm not sure what to do here. Do I correct her? How do I correct her? I sure as hell want to say "Seriously? You misgendered me on my FEMALE Facebook profile, where I have a FEMALE name and FEMALE pronouns? Are you doing this on purpose?" but of course that would be rude, and I don't want to be rude to someone who's sending me presents all the time.

Correct her in a teasing way.  That lets the main emotion be "amusement" rather than "confrontation."

Hope it works... good luck, girlfriend~ ><

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69796 on: February 18, 2014, 09:45:15 pm »

Once again I'm firmly convinced I'll die alone.
Maybe I need heavier meds. Or a non-imaginary love life, which would be the better option.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69797 on: February 18, 2014, 09:46:30 pm »

@AlleeCat
I'd suggest correcting her in person, in private. Not the sort of thing you want to make a scene about.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #69798 on: February 18, 2014, 09:55:08 pm »

My grandma just called me a guy in a Facebook message. I'm not sure what to do here. Do I correct her? How do I correct her? I sure as hell want to say "Seriously? You misgendered me on my FEMALE Facebook profile, where I have a FEMALE name and FEMALE pronouns? Are you doing this on purpose?" but of course that would be rude, and I don't want to be rude to someone who's sending me presents all the time.
In what way? Could you give us a general idea of what she said?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #69799 on: February 18, 2014, 09:56:25 pm »

Maybe I need heavier meds. Or a non-imaginary love life, which would be the better option.

Helgoland, I remember you saying you went out drinking with a friend a while back? You have a friend. He'll look after you. :)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69800 on: February 18, 2014, 10:05:09 pm »

Tons of friends, and a reasonably active social life. It's just that I'm apparently totally handicapped in the romance department.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69801 on: February 18, 2014, 10:18:17 pm »

It might not be you, but rather your immediate surroundings. Try branching out a bit and meeting people in new places.

Online dating actually works decently well from what I've heard (not any better or worse than meeting people in the Real World).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69802 on: February 18, 2014, 10:20:03 pm »

Say you're rich, get 'love' from gold diggers

Keep trying. If i can get a girlfriend, you all can.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69803 on: February 19, 2014, 01:04:31 am »

maybe you need to stop thinking of that as a bad thing?

i mean why is it so necessarily terrible to not arrange for people to be devastated by your death, it's not like your friends won't be already

and with all probability it's not the family that will be around you when you die, but doctors who are trying to save your life (and failing sadly, but what can you do)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69804 on: February 19, 2014, 01:17:06 am »

I'm realising how much my anxiety issues affect me. Most especially how it affects my work flow...
I mean I've generally always thought of it as a general motivation issue, but I'm finding that anxiety is the number one thing hurting my ability to do school work. I wind up having this weird sort of focus issue, where I find my mind drifting off and brooding over basically everything that has ever gone wrong in my life. I mean there's stupid things that happened to me when I was ten years old that still bother me. Which is something they most certainly should not be doing. And it just winds up making me feel really anxious and upset and self conscious. And I wonder if the work I'm doing (whatever it is) is going to be good enough.

Then I find myself playing games I don't particularly enjoy all that much just because they absorb my focus better and help me not linger on the bad stuff all the time... and I just... really hate being me right now. I feel so irreparably broken and useless.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69805 on: February 19, 2014, 01:32:16 am »

My dog isn't going to make it for the week, her nerve damage is so bad 3 of her 4 legs do not work.

ITS BEEN A FUN 11 YEARS

T______________T

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #69806 on: February 19, 2014, 01:35:17 am »

Collateral sadness from this thread.  :'(
Sometimes I dislike my empathy that it hurts me hurting me.
But I never do...

I may lack hugs so here's a cookie.
Even though accounts vary, everyone has a legendary story to tell.

The Writer's Apprenticeship - A thread dedicated to literary art!

Tales of Shattered Dreams - My RTD, a continuous work in progress.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #69807 on: February 19, 2014, 02:21:28 am »

I'm realising how much my anxiety issues affect me. Most especially how it affects my work flow...
I mean I've generally always thought of it as a general motivation issue, but I'm finding that anxiety is the number one thing hurting my ability to do school work. I wind up having this weird sort of focus issue, where I find my mind drifting off and brooding over basically everything that has ever gone wrong in my life. I mean there's stupid things that happened to me when I was ten years old that still bother me. Which is something they most certainly should not be doing. And it just winds up making me feel really anxious and upset and self conscious. And I wonder if the work I'm doing (whatever it is) is going to be good enough.

Then I find myself playing games I don't particularly enjoy all that much just because they absorb my focus better and help me not linger on the bad stuff all the time... and I just... really hate being me right now. I feel so irreparably broken and useless.

Last year I had a lot of stress and became pretty pessimistic about the future.  I found some of my worst moments were when I had nothing to do, because I would start focusing on everything that was making me unhappy.

Anyway, you seem to suggest that its bad that you play games to distract yourself, but I think its potentially good.  Anxiety gets worse when you focus on it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Celebrating one decade of existential crisis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69808 on: February 19, 2014, 03:10:09 am »

Dungeons of Dredmor on 'Losing is Fun' difficulty, Hardcore.

I should stop trying to do it with stupid skill trees. Too much achievement farming happening here.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Bay 12 Blood Bowl I apparently host now.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #69809 on: February 19, 2014, 08:57:47 am »

I know that feel.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 ... 4652 4653 [4654] 4655 4656 ... 7785