Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4655 4656 [4657] 4658 4659 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8474293 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #69840 on: February 05, 2014, 07:18:31 am »

When only dolls are shoved in your face from a young age, and you're told you can't play with the toys your opposite gender sibling is playing with, you learn to like what you're told to enjoy.

Most gender related interests can pretty easily be explained by cultural pressure and proven with statistics.

Notably there are some correlations that can't be shown to be entirely cultural, but those are much, much more muted than the stereotypes say.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #69841 on: February 05, 2014, 07:24:05 am »

-snip snoop-
I really didn't see much malice at all in Tack's statement there. It's like adding malevolence to an idea, assumed, for me.
From where I saw it, its either that scenario (of varying intervals) which you stated or that Tack has been exposed to the side that we aren't talking about in gamers. Those oriented towards a respectful nature.

Anyway, sads:
> I can't find the right color blend to make a night sky + setting sun. Red, orange, violet and iridescent stars...why won't you blend!? D:<

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69842 on: February 05, 2014, 07:34:32 am »

Yeah, whats a gamer by definition? If you just mean they casually play games, then sure, the female/male ratios about 40/60 (go IOS)
The only "official" survey I could find said over 40% are female. The rest seem to be biased in some way, only taking statistics from a certain genre or platform. I thought it was also hilarious that someone took Xbox LIVE as the official representation of the gaming world, even though anyone smart avoids Xbox LIVE like the plague.
Also, what do you mean by "casually play games"? Do you mean "only plays for 2 hours or less a day"? Because I considered my mom to be a gamer, and she played all sorts of games, but she was usually too busy to play more than an hour at a time. Do you mean "only plays one game to the exclusion of all others? Because the only time my dad plays games anymore is when he's playing a single MMO with his friends. Do you mean "only plays casual/mobile games"? Because my best friend pretty much only has a Wii with party games and an iPod touch nowadays, and only plays games for those platforms. I don't think we can exclude people, just because they don't fall into our "definition" of gamer. If someone wants to call themselves a gamer, let them. If someone still falls into that definition of gamer, and doesn't want to be called one, that's fine too. It's not some exclusive club that has a ton of requirements to join, and you're not in for life once you make it in.

Yes, laugh at the ending, ignore the awesomeness. I chose blow up the reapers and it was great even before the shitty patch.
I seem to be the only person that, 1: Beat the game for the first time after the patch came out, and 2: actually liked the ending.
Spoiler: Ending choice (click to show/hide)

Dodger
I have not heard of this person until now and have only watched 20 seconds of their gaming newz video thing on their channel and I already like them. She seems cool. Also totally adorkable in a way that makes my soul squeal just a bit. But mostly cool. Watching further into the video and she obviously knows what she's talking about. Yeah. new channel to watch. Sweet, more time wasting ho!
I really like her because it doesn't ever feel like she's trying to fake anything. She just seems to love being her own weird self and I really respect that. She's also completely adorable and tiny. As in 4'10" tiny.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #69843 on: February 05, 2014, 07:38:12 am »

When only dolls are shoved in your face from a young age, and you're told you can't play with the toys your opposite gender sibling is playing with, you learn to like what you're told to enjoy.

Most gender related interests can pretty easily be explained by cultural pressure and proven with statistics.

Notably there are some correlations that can't be shown to be entirely cultural, but those are much, much more muted than the stereotypes say.

Uh, no. Newborns were actually studied, and they showed the stereotypical preferences.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp0tg8_hjernevask-brainwashing-english-part-1-the-gender-equality-paradox_news

And the constructivist explaination fails to account for children which weren't forced into enjoying either kind of toys, nor does it account for a little something called reactance.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69844 on: February 05, 2014, 07:44:00 am »

I played with the toys opposite my gender all the time, and look how I tur- Oh, wait.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #69845 on: February 05, 2014, 07:53:20 am »

I played with the toys opposite my gender all the time, and look how I tur- Oh, wait.

Doesn't that disprove kaijyuu's point? If you played with the toys, then turned out to be perfectly heterosexual and just happen to enjoy the 'feminine' toys, that would be evidence in favor of the claim that it's artificial.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69846 on: February 05, 2014, 08:09:41 am »

Doesn't that disprove kaijyuu's point? If you played with the toys, then turned out to be perfectly heterosexual and just happen to enjoy the 'feminine' toys, that would be evidence in favor of the claim that it's artificial.
Well I also played with and enjoyed "masculine" toys as well, so make of it what you will. My sister also played with and enjoyed "masculine" toys and ended up asexual and cisgendered so I'm not sure what that says.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:12:36 am by AlleeCat »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #69847 on: February 05, 2014, 08:17:00 am »

I used to play with both too. Though I did prefer some more "masculine" toys and hobbies more, I went way out of my way to get myself into a few local football and baseball games whenever I could for instance.

Though I ended up bisexual, with no real romantic interest in guys. Also not sure if that has anything to do with how I preferred things.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69848 on: February 05, 2014, 08:32:54 am »

I really have no idea how 'this toy. You play. Like it.' equals that thing above (though it does sort of follow the adage of 'most preferences are learned'). I mean, I played with both stuffed toys and miniature cars and trucks and a really nice 'military' helicopter when I was little.

And a chemistry set.

...Meaning I really don't think that influences sexuality..if that's what I'm getting from the basis.
And I'm pretty much asexual though leaning towards female in romantic attraction...sooo
It'd be weird to assume that idea given all those romance/fantasy stories and novels I've read when I was a child.
Yep. Doubtful on plausibility.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69849 on: February 05, 2014, 08:42:57 am »

Though the study scrdest was referencing does not say anything at all about sexual preferences. It just says that there are some "hardcoded" psychological / neurological differences between males and females. It does not say cultural/social factors do not matter, just that not every difference between males and females is entirely cultural, which is what some people have tried to argue.
For the purpose of the original conversation this might mean that males could be drawn to different games than females, but there are probably so many exceptions and other factors that it doesn't matter that much.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69850 on: February 05, 2014, 09:09:24 am »

Hmm, I'd argue against that despite not having much knowledge in the field of neuroscience-more along philosophy and psychology that males and females--other than the anatomical/physiological differences, think all alike. What and how they're brought up helps define their thought process.

I believe this deserves a thread of its own given that...I'm really unsure this makes anyone sad. :)

For the purpose of the original conversation this might mean that males could be drawn to different games than females, but there are probably so many exceptions and other factors that it doesn't matter that much.
*checks list of games played and liked*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though to be relevant (if not belonging in the 'afraid' category): Nightmares 3 days in a row!
And they all have springy sproingy dancy spiders as a background effect!
Aaand to make it worse, all my dreams are DARN VIVID in detail and trivial background stuffs. I can see my darn nose! Curse that!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #69851 on: February 05, 2014, 09:36:50 am »

but spiders are cute...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69852 on: February 05, 2014, 09:44:03 am »

Though I ended up bisexual, with no real romantic interest in guys. Also not sure if that has anything to do with how I preferred things.
I ended up the same way, really. Although honestly, I refuse to believe that anyone in the world is completely straight/homosexual. In my experience, there's always a loophole.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69853 on: February 05, 2014, 09:58:07 am »

but spiders are cute...
OH. Right forgot to specify.

It's the webspinners that get me into a frenzy. Jumping spiders-those that I usually see moving either real slowly or erratically are the cute ones. So precise. So calculating. I love how they leap.

And then webspinners.
Webs.
Spiders on webs.
Spiders falling down upon you while spinning webs.
>____<

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69854 on: February 05, 2014, 10:38:21 am »

Didn't pass the only exam I've had. It was kinda close, 42% I think. Not too miffed about most things but I did overlook one problem which could've gotten me those missing points. Now I have to stay here for another week and retake it, fucks sake, I could've been home by friday!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 4655 4656 [4657] 4658 4659 ... 8153