Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4661 4662 [4663] 4664 4665 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8549797 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #69930 on: February 07, 2014, 08:24:47 pm »

I've been thinking enough lately about how old my cat is.  Nearly 18.  She still has an impressive amount of life in her for her age, but she's been growing senile the past year or so.  She's by far the most impressive cat I've ever known.  Everything about her from appearance to personality to intelligence to physique.  Damn near flawless specimen.  Never even had a single health problem in her entire life.  Only been to the vet twice: for de-clawing and neutering.  Been thinking a lot lately about the possibility of some DNA collection / storage service.  I want another one :<
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:27:08 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69931 on: February 07, 2014, 08:32:05 pm »

Spoiler: Psych Assignment (click to show/hide)
*sigh*
This stuff is such a pain.

This sounds freaking fun. Robotics and psychology are my thing.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69932 on: February 07, 2014, 10:14:23 pm »

*sigh*

Well the first question is a loaded question, and there's generally a sort of... how can I describe it, fritzy ambiguous feel to it all. I mean, apparently I'm supposed to be hypothetically designing a robot that's to pass as a human being using hypothetical technology that is not yet available, the hypothetical best way to go about this with all this hypothetical know-how that doesn't exist, would be exactly recreate a human being. Yet I'm supposed to cut corners somewhere here? And know exactly which corners are supposed to be the best ones to cut, and which are the best ones not to cut...

I know I probably shouldn't be taking it that seriously, but yeesh... I hate these sorts of assignments.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69933 on: February 07, 2014, 10:24:57 pm »

Any parts related to automatic processes, like emotion, breathing and stuff, things a robot doesn't need, I suppose. The parts related to memory and logic processing would probably have to be larger, but I don't know enough about the brain to say any more.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69934 on: February 07, 2014, 10:57:14 pm »

*sigh*

Well the first question is a loaded question, and there's generally a sort of... how can I describe it, fritzy ambiguous feel to it all. I mean, apparently I'm supposed to be hypothetically designing a robot that's to pass as a human being using hypothetical technology that is not yet available, the hypothetical best way to go about this with all this hypothetical know-how that doesn't exist, would be exactly recreate a human being. Yet I'm supposed to cut corners somewhere here? And know exactly which corners are supposed to be the best ones to cut, and which are the best ones not to cut...

I know I probably shouldn't be taking it that seriously, but yeesh... I hate these sorts of assignments.

Yeah, I forgot it's a tertiary assignment.
I preferred them back when you could just imagine and BS, instead of actually having to read... ugh... journal articles.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69935 on: February 08, 2014, 04:37:31 am »

*sigh*

Yeah, I forgot it's a tertiary assignment.
I preferred them back when you could just imagine and BS, instead of actually having to read... ugh... journal articles.

You have bay12 at your disposal. Create a thread just about this one topic, see what responses you get.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #69936 on: February 08, 2014, 04:55:43 am »

Spoiler: Pnx calls for aid! (click to show/hide)
Psychology/Med student, at your service. >:D

But still, go PNX. I really wondered how this was a sad thing when it really exercises the creativity.

...Also tiny point on #1: I believe it talks about the nervous system--what essentially defines humanism or stuff like that (not the exact details on 'YOU'RE HUMAN IF X HAPPENS' or whatever). Philosophize it or move it into bio-physics. Pretty subjective, those ones.

Final note: You can really philosophize it out and detail as a generality: ie #3 you can make any of such small-just what do you define by putting into those areas of the brain instead? (We're all assuming the 'same part' statement = 'same function'..but you're the creator. :3 If you want something to 'pass as human', then thinking out of the box won't even be a wrong answer!)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:08:36 am by Tiruin »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #69937 on: February 08, 2014, 06:17:35 am »

I've been thinking enough lately about how old my cat is.  Nearly 18.  She still has an impressive amount of life in her for her age, but she's been growing senile the past year or so.  She's by far the most impressive cat I've ever known.  Everything about her from appearance to personality to intelligence to physique.  Damn near flawless specimen.  Never even had a single health problem in her entire life.  Only been to the vet twice: for de-clawing and neutering.  Been thinking a lot lately about the possibility of some DNA collection / storage service.  I want another one :<

Weeell, there is this natural way of collecting and storing DNA for new specimens but... Yeah... *Points to neutering*

:P
Love, scriver~

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69938 on: February 08, 2014, 06:44:22 am »

so i bought a small slinky today

it was good fun until it managed to get tangled

i no longer possess a slinky

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69939 on: February 08, 2014, 10:13:19 am »

¾ One approach might be to start by listing all the functions the robot would have to
perform to behave like a human being. What’s wrong with this approach? 2pts
¾ Which subdivision of the human nervous system would be less important for a robot than
for a human being, and why? 2pts
¾ Assume that the robot’s brain will have the same parts that a human being’s brain does
(the pons, cerebellum, hippocampus, etc.). Which parts might you make smaller to save
space because they are less important for a robot than for a person? Explain. 3pts
¾ Which brain parts do you think would be especially important for a robot, and why? 3Pts

1. Look up the Turing test. That's your first signpost.
2. Computers are logic based, and unable to be emotion based, simply by nature of 1010- therefore all things are reduced to percentages and 'hard' decisions. 60% chance I'll need food in the next 3 hours, better eat. Ergo, it's very much based on the nature of the robotics in question. Naturally they won't need cerebellum, nor axons, as their motor skills will be fine-tuned on their own. Added to that, massive logic centers to replace the vastly atrophied emotion centers, as their emotions would be logic-based anyway (see p-zombies). So out goes the mendula oblongata.
3. I think I answered 2 as 3. So... Have fun with that. I guess robots would have some complicated stuff replacing grey/white matter. As our (human) spinal cords are made of grey matter (brain stuff) in order to assist in reflexes, Robots might need an alternative. Use a hot-plate scenario to explain this, to be boring and get A's.
4. On the assumption that we're using current computer code integrated into the capacities of a human brain, the left hemisphere is going to be very important, whilst the right will be rather atrophied. However, I haven't done much in-depth brain function other than where the loop of henle and the pre/post-central gyruses are.

So, here's my two years of health education, drunkeness and healthy curiosity help. Probably none, but damn it if you've actually gotten an interesting question which you aren't appreciating enough.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69940 on: February 08, 2014, 11:57:26 am »

Tried to get a date for Valenine's Day. She said yes at first, but then a few days later said she remembered she had plans that day, and the day after. Managed to get her to go to the movies with me the day before. At this point, she finally realized that I was asking her out on Valentine's Day, and although she agreed to go to the movies, she said she wanted to go "as friends". While this is still a good thing, the only reason it's here is because I was stupid enough to forget that the first step is step one.

I was going to get her flowers and chocolates, but since I can say for certain now that that's overkill, I'd still like to get her a little something. I figure a smaller box of chocolates(the one I originally wanted to get was about 8" in diameter). My sister also suggested a small teddy bear with a friendly(not "I love you") card. Any other ideas would help.

I also bought a copy of the Daily News because the cover mentioned an article for something I thought would give me ideas. Turned out it was just advertisements for surprisingly cheap lingerie. That's not to say it didn't give me ideas. Just... just the wrong ones.

Suddenly, Alpha Centauri! :P

I now imagine Lal having a pet cat that he constantly clones.
Goddamnit, now I can't get the image of the Peacekeepers being ruled by a housecat out of my head.

And now I realize that's only because I slightly misread the post.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69941 on: February 08, 2014, 12:01:33 pm »

Arsenal >:( :-[ :-[ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Sorry for Grammar.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69942 on: February 08, 2014, 12:20:52 pm »

Hey, there is one bright side to being on this deployment, I don't have to think about being alone on Valentines.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #69943 on: February 08, 2014, 12:42:37 pm »

Weeell, there is this natural way of collecting and storing DNA for new specimens but... Yeah... *Points to neutering*

:P

Yeah.... wasn't my call.  My parents forced the de-clawing and neutering.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69944 on: February 08, 2014, 02:17:56 pm »

Not that gametes would have helped >_> You'd only have half the DNA you need!

Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 4661 4662 [4663] 4664 4665 ... 8155