Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4692 4693 [4694] 4695 4696 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8574892 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #70395 on: February 20, 2014, 12:48:09 pm »

Cmega you should claim they were bullying. Teachers are all moist for that shit right now with all the news stories floating around, it will get you out of this jam lickety-split.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #70396 on: February 20, 2014, 12:51:44 pm »

One person does not a dogpile make.
Love, scriver~

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #70397 on: February 20, 2014, 12:53:06 pm »

and this is why I decided not to vent my current sads here
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:54:48 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70398 on: February 20, 2014, 12:55:21 pm »

Completely separating the topic of conversation from this, just how well do you think your attitude and tone will convince people who you feel need to change, MSH?
I'd rather say what needs to be said than pretend it doesn't, even if it means others will not listen.
How you say it makes all the difference though.

It is certainly within your power to say all you want without coming off as abrasive and condescending, assuming you have the self control. Maybe then they'll listen.

EDIT: As a side note, I fully respect speaking one's mind without concern to how one will look. If abrasive and condescending is just who you are, I think it's better that it shows through rather than being hidden. I hate wolves in sheep's clothing, and all that.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:00:05 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #70399 on: February 20, 2014, 01:00:45 pm »

I am ducking out of this debate, as I don't think I can say anything more without offending someone, and  I think
He is in the wrong, he did fuck up, he will probably be punished, and he's remorseful about what happened, and came to us to vent.
This sums up everything that needs to be said.

Cmega, I'm seriously sorry about the whole debate thing. Pretty sure everyone here genuinely has what they believe to be your best interests at heart.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70400 on: February 20, 2014, 01:02:41 pm »

Completely separating the topic of conversation from this, just how well do you think your attitude and tone will convince people who you feel need to change, MSH?
I'd rather say what needs to be said than pretend it doesn't, even if it means others will not listen.
How you say it makes all the difference though.

It is certainly within your power to say all you want without coming off as abrasive and condescending, assuming you have the self control. Maybe then they'll listen.

EDIT: As a side note, I fully respect speaking one's mind without concern to how one will look. If abrasive and condescending is just who you are, I think it's better that it shows through rather than being hidden. I hate wolves in sheep's clothing, and all that.
I'll give you abrasive, but I don't see anything I've said as condescending. I make an effort to communicate as in as real a fashion is possible. There's not much I dislike more than fluffy lies.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70401 on: February 20, 2014, 01:28:39 pm »

Well not much else to say, other than just remember that people don't always infer things the way you intend to imply them. I detected some condescension (mainly in the "life's not fair" stuff) whether you intended it or not.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #70402 on: February 20, 2014, 04:06:31 pm »

This morning I slipped off the road and got stuck in a ditch. Didn't even make it down the damn driveway before the wind and snow decided I needed to have FUN. Car's still there on the side of the driveway, on a silly ~45 degree slope. I had to come to town with my family this morning to shower and use the computer lab, and missed my class.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #70403 on: February 20, 2014, 05:25:19 pm »

Cmega you should claim they were bullying. Teachers are all moist for that shit right now with all the news stories floating around, it will get you out of this jam lickety-split.

Oooooor they might be arseholes and side with him anyhow. Or acknowledge that and proceed to do nothing at fucking all about it, because they can't or they won't.

It's a bit of a berserk button to me, seeing people get off with stuff because they are popular.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #70404 on: February 20, 2014, 05:57:35 pm »

This wasn't about bullying as much as it was about having a breakdown. What he did was not justified, but I'm wholly convinced that pretty much everyone is at best three steps away from being an angry monkey, given the right stimulus. So, yeah, cut him some slack. In some people it's easier, and in some it's harder, but in the right circumstances of stress and pressure, anyone can break down.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70405 on: February 20, 2014, 06:26:34 pm »

This wasn't about bullying as much as it was about having a breakdown.
This right here.

Cmega, you really should take some time to unwind and get some of that steam out of your system. If you keep pushing it while constantly stressed it will be bad for you, not only will you get sick easily due stress and have to take days off like you did there (and that causes more stress), but your body won't recover as easily from it. And that's gonna cause even more stress for you. It's a slippery slope for quick burnout, and that's not fun to have.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70406 on: February 20, 2014, 06:30:47 pm »

Ok wow, my day was pretty damn shitty.

First I got back the test I did last week, it was a 66/100... Which is horrific, the good news is that 66% is apparently one of the best test scores in the class, and the teacher is giving us all an opportunity to make some of it up, we just have to figure out what all the right answers are, which is not so bad except that I'm really not sure how to solve some of these questions, and there is nobody IRL that can actually help me with this stuff, I spent four hours after class helping fellow students answer some of the questions, but was unable to really answer any of my own. Which was pretty frustrating, there's really nobody offline I can ask about this stuff apart from the teacher, and he's strictly only going to be available for a fairly short window on monday, which is the day before this stuff is due.

Then I went home, before I did I stopped by to have a chat with my artsy friends, I got invited to a party tomorrow, which I sort of want to go to except that it's really late at night and I've taken to going to bed fairly early, so I'm not sure if I can really do it, plus parties are generally not my thing.

Cue goodbye hug, then going home, half an hour later, I'm home, and I realise that when I did the goodbye hug, I put some of my school stuff down, and didn't pick it up again. Cue frantic half-hour drive back to school where I panic about having potentially lost my stuff and not being able to get it back again, which might royally screw me over, it turns out alright though because it was there and I have a tearful reunion with my binders that may or may not have included me holding them tightly to my chest whispering words like, "Never leave me again." This was followed by miserable half hour drive back home again.

Now I have to write a response on the discussion board, which might be difficult because most of what the people there wrote appears to be carbon copies of the stuff I wrote... and it's a little difficult/awkward to argue against something you just argued for. I'm still by far a novice at the flip-flop it seems.

I feel like crying a lot and possibly vomiting right now.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #70407 on: February 20, 2014, 06:41:45 pm »

If you can do the first thing, by all means. The second one might not help as much, but I think we've established before that it's basically the same thing so maybe.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70408 on: February 20, 2014, 07:01:35 pm »

This wasn't about bullying as much as it was about having a breakdown. What he did was not justified, but I'm wholly convinced that pretty much everyone is at best three steps away from being an angry monkey, given the right stimulus. So, yeah, cut him some slack. In some people it's easier, and in some it's harder, but in the right circumstances of stress and pressure, anyone can break down.

I think I agree with this.  I'm pretty sure I've said different things previously, but I hadn't taken into account that my breakdowns usually end up violently attacking myself rather than other people.  Also, the Battered Woman Defense is totally a thing, so if I agree with that I should agree with this.

That said, the important thing we can do as human beings is, as MZ said, learn to diffuse/walk away from situations that aggravate us--of course, it can be hard to tell when those times are coming, and that's probably why you might want to talk to someone.

Cmega, you did do the wrong thing, but we love you anyway.  Please use this event to try to make better things happen in your life--like if you could start regularly seeing a counselor to help you manage stress and your abusive environment, then that might be helpful for you.  I've found that just having someone to talk to in a nonjudgmental way, even if we weren't Actively Making Progress on what I saw as problems, really, really helped.  So, please see about that, and don't take being suspended too harshly.  It would probably be good to just have some time to clear the air and relax--don't let it embitter you or feel like it's a punishment so "you've got time to think about what you did" or whatever.  I've had problems with stuff like that too... I bet it was really scary.

[hug]

I hope everything turns out okay and you're able to get along with your classmates in the future.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70409 on: February 20, 2014, 07:59:41 pm »

Well, just came back from the doctor's after my illness last night.

Diagnosis: a bad case of tonsilitis. Got a ten day regimen of antibiotics, steroids to reduce the swelling which makes it impossible to swallow anything pain-free, and I am forbidden from eating anything hot for a couple of days.

At least there's no surgery planned yet.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4692 4693 [4694] 4695 4696 ... 8156