Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4696 4697 [4698] 4699 4700 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8552728 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #70455 on: February 21, 2014, 05:46:26 pm »

Laptop charger is acting up, more specifically the cable near the laptop plug, started to exibit "only works in certain positions" behaviour just now. I have no idea how much a replacement would cost or how long would I need to wait for it :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #70456 on: February 21, 2014, 05:48:32 pm »

Oh god I hate that. I find it happens often with headphones. One side will go out, or the other, or you need to jiggle it. The worst is when you need to hold it against the side ... I consider them a lost cause by that point and ritualistically chop and incinerate them.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #70457 on: February 21, 2014, 05:56:23 pm »

Laptop charger is acting up, more specifically the cable near the laptop plug, started to exibit "only works in certain positions" behaviour just now. I have no idea how much a replacement would cost or how long would I need to wait for it :C
... check? Cost and wait would depend on make and purchasing venue, though. Some cords are fairly cheap, others will probably cost $30+ USD. Mostly depends on how much the laptop maker is a jackass (i.e. specifically building them so only in-house model chargers or whatev' will work).

Then it just depends on if you're willing to wait for something to be shipped (probably overall less expensive) or cope with electronic shop markup for mostly-instant acquisition.

Finding out is just a google or electronic shop trip away, though. Fairly painless.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70458 on: February 21, 2014, 05:57:20 pm »

Yes, it can be especially infuriating when it's random, you could fiddle with it for minutes and it wouldn't work, then the slightest touch gets it to work, but then you can't really move because you're afraid that it'll stop working again :C

Anyways, found that the chargers are suprisingly cheap, from what I've seen it's just under 10 bucks, which is perfectly affordable. This is online however, I wonder how high the markup will be if I bought it locally.

Edit:

And upon closer inspection, a lot of the chargers, that have in their sale name my laptops model listed, are actually wrong, usually the amperage is different, if not the voltage itself, which is rather WTF worthy, but I've found one that matches everything, tho it has the small issue of being three-pronged, so it's US socket compliant, but not EU. But if the model is the same then the plug from my current one should work (I hope).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:08:04 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #70459 on: February 21, 2014, 06:26:33 pm »

This is caused by a short in the cable, and can be fixed very easily unless it is the plug itself that is bad (still fixable, but more difficult.) Isolate the part of the wire that causes the problem (the easiest way to do this is to "fix" the cable in place with tape except for certain sections, and then manipulate the unstuck sections (methodically moving your tape as you work) until you find the section that causes it to go out), and you have basically three options (in progressively more difficult but more effective order):

1. Attach a short length of something very rigid to that section of cable with electrical tape to keep it from bending

2. Cut away the outer insulation, and wrap the interior wires with tape where their insulation is worn out to prevent a short.

3. Remove the damaged section completely, and splice the cable back together with good wire.

These will give satisfactory results if your problem is in the wire. If it is in the plug, your only option would be to cut it off and attach a new plug. This is difficult due to the huge variety of plugs out there (many proprietary), and it is easy to wire wrong if you don't know what you are doing.

As for replacements, you MUST get the correct voltage, but the amperage only needs to be at least as high as the original charger supplied. A device will never draw more current than it requires (this is how "long life" replacement batteries work. They have higher amperage.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #70460 on: February 21, 2014, 08:13:59 pm »

I had a dream this afternoon during a nap that Toady had put out the new release.

Then I woke up.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70461 on: February 21, 2014, 08:17:16 pm »

I had a dream this afternoon during a nap that Toady had put out the new release.

Then I woke up.
So...was it good? Did the new features change fort mode gameplay much?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #70462 on: February 21, 2014, 09:06:18 pm »

no amount of conditioning is going to change the fact humans are violent, so we might as well drop the conditioning altogether and go back to good ol' strength = power equation which gave us such marvelous inventions such as wholesale murder, the entire concept of a patriarchy, rape being a "privilege" of the person in power, the list goes on

right?
I know this is the sad thread, but sometimes I wish people would be a bit more positive some of the time. Honest. It seems like its so easy to just be so black and white about everything, like everyone commits horrible acts against humanity that are never rewarded with justice, even though it does happen more often than not..

Tomorrow may hold a visit to the doctor to dewax my ear.
Ho boy. It might hurt a bit, but you will hug that man when he's done. I mean, as long as he doesn't IMPALE your squishy, terribly vulnerable eardrum with his pointy instrument of DEATH.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70463 on: February 21, 2014, 09:46:00 pm »

I've just been compared to Paris from Romeo and Juliet.
Fuck sake, why can't people just leave my feelings alone.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #70464 on: February 21, 2014, 09:48:10 pm »

Paris?
Which one was this?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #70465 on: February 21, 2014, 09:50:40 pm »

Fairly reasonable guy who ended up in arranged marriage with Juliet and was considered a villain by the overemotional main characters for something out of his control.

I wouldn't say it's an insult to be compared to him.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #70466 on: February 21, 2014, 09:51:55 pm »

Paris?
Which one was this?
The count who Juliet's parents try to give her away to, but Juliet won't have anything to do with him, and later Romeo kills him after he engages in a duel with Romeo after meeting him in the cemetery where he was sincerely mourning Juliet, who was "laid to rest" while feigning her death. So yeah not a bad thing to be compared to him. He's that dude who is in love with the girl who doesn't like him despite his good intentions.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:53:49 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #70467 on: February 21, 2014, 09:53:38 pm »

Huh.
I kinda forgot about the plot of Romeo and Juliet, but they're kinda dicks.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70468 on: February 21, 2014, 10:03:58 pm »

Huh.
I kinda forgot about the plot of Romeo and Juliet, but they're kinda dicks.
Or just the poster children of puppy love gone wrong.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #70469 on: February 21, 2014, 10:11:51 pm »

Just looking at this picture before reading the accompanying text, at first I thought this was some sort of electronic douche or portable bidet.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 4696 4697 [4698] 4699 4700 ... 8155