Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4699 4700 [4701] 4702 4703 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8568893 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #70500 on: February 23, 2014, 03:12:20 am »

>____> I don't know what kind of neural activity... or... you know, nerve cells at all a tree has.

It doesn't. It's all just chemical signals. However, even though plant information processing capabilities are quite a few orders of magnitude lesser than those of a mammal, they do indeed possess them. It is, after all, one of the basic properties of life to be able to respond to stimuli.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70501 on: February 23, 2014, 03:35:01 am »

Which means that even days after you've picked the lettuce from the plant...
IT'S STILL ALIVE.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #70502 on: February 23, 2014, 06:18:14 am »

IT'S STILL ALIVE.

Technically. If you would be strict, it would mean that whenever you eat a steak, you're eating a cow alive, too.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70503 on: February 23, 2014, 06:19:52 am »

IT'S STILL ALIVE.

Technically. If you would be strict, it would mean that whenever you eat a steak, you're eating a cow alive, too.

...isn't that how most people want their steaks, and say is the only right way to eat steak, anyway?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #70504 on: February 23, 2014, 06:29:48 am »

It's not really the same, though, since many plants have developed to actually want you to eat (at least parts of) them in order to get spread around and/or receive a pile of free manure to grow in. So when you pick a ripe fruit from the tree the message is probably less "OH GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING WHERE DID MY GENITAL GO" and more "This is Discovery XIV to Ground Control. We have have liftoff."
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70505 on: February 23, 2014, 06:52:34 am »

Fruit, yes. I am happy to eat seed-based foods, because then I'm just thwarting their natural reproductive process, much in the way you would eat an egg.

But to eat something like baby asparagus is just inhumane. It's got its whole life ahead of it.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70506 on: February 23, 2014, 09:41:37 am »

This is why I love bay12.

I have yet to find anyone else arguing the ethics of eating plants.

Ahem.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70507 on: February 23, 2014, 09:53:45 am »

This is why I love bay12.

I have yet to find anyone else arguing the ethics of eating plants.
Have you tried Tumblr?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70508 on: February 23, 2014, 10:06:46 am »

IT'S STILL ALIVE.

Literally, if you kept the blood pumping through it and oxygenated, then yes.
But with a plant you need only give it water and sunlight. Every (non-vacuole dominant) plant cell is capable of sustaining itself through photosynthesis. Hence why I chose lettuce. It's a leaf, and you typically wash it to make it crisp again before you eat it. Which would be similar to reviving a dead bird before you eat it.

But plant-based cruelty is just so ingrained in our genes that we don't even think about what we're doing when we pluck a potato out of the ground, carve out its eyes, peel its flesh and then boil it.

It's official. Real bleeding teeth hearts eat minerals.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70509 on: February 23, 2014, 10:17:37 am »

. Hence why I chose lettuce. It's a leaf, and you typically wash it to make it crisp again before you eat it. Which would be similar to reviving a dead bird before you eat it.

Woah... first argument that makes me want to eat lettuce.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70510 on: February 23, 2014, 01:30:34 pm »

I had a really shitty night's sleep. Which included the dogs going berserk at something outside multiple times in the middle of the night, me having to get up and let the dogs back in after they'd been let out because my mother had fallen asleep in her chair, my brother playing music in his room, and the sound of my brother's late night diarrhea episodes that might be fixed if he ate a decent diet.

So long story short, I got woken up multiple times between the hours of midnight and 6 AM and woke up at 10 AM with a horrible headache.

And I'm staring at this test wondering how I could make so many dumb mistakes, and wondering why I seem to be such a moron sometimes...

I really hate dealing with my issues, and being me sometimes. I hate existing on a different wavelength to 99% of the population, and dealing with... issues I'm still afraid to talk about even here. I also hate that this basically feels like the only place I'm halfway safe to express myself right now.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #70511 on: February 23, 2014, 01:33:12 pm »

. Hence why I chose lettuce. It's a leaf, and you typically wash it to make it crisp again before you eat it. Which would be similar to reviving a dead bird before you eat it.

Woah... first argument that makes me want to eat lettuce.

Starting from today, I'm going to scream 'IT'S ALIVE!' and cackle like a madman every time I wash lettuce.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70512 on: February 23, 2014, 02:20:27 pm »

I had a really shitty night's sleep. Which included the dogs going berserk at something outside multiple times in the middle of the night, me having to get up and let the dogs back in after they'd been let out because my mother had fallen asleep in her chair, my brother playing music in his room, and the sound of my brother's late night diarrhea episodes that might be fixed if he ate a decent diet.

Sounds like you...

...had a shitty night.

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

More seriously, though, I feel ya. Suffering from insomnia lately means  I understand how it feels to not have enough sleep. Pretty terrible.

Having a place like this is really good - you can safely say your worries here without risking problems back in meatspace.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70513 on: February 23, 2014, 11:28:34 pm »

I want to play my guitar, but it's too late at night. I want to play other games, (KSP, X-COM, etc.) but I have to be up in the morning to work, and if I start playing now, I won't stop until it will severely impact my sleep cycle. ;_; Curse you, time.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70514 on: February 23, 2014, 11:29:36 pm »

I want to play my guitar, but it's too late at night. I want to play other games, (KSP, X-COM, etc.) but I have to be up in the morning to work, and if I start playing now, I won't stop until it will severely impact my sleep cycle. ;_; Curse you, time.
Don't worry, I'm reasonably sure we eventually invent time-travel.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 4699 4700 [4701] 4702 4703 ... 8156