Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4736 4737 [4738] 4739 4740 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8575876 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #71055 on: March 13, 2014, 01:36:01 pm »

Making code that's good enough to function is harder than making graphics that function. Same with sound, etc.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #71056 on: March 13, 2014, 01:39:03 pm »

I've got an awesome idea for a game, but I don't think I have enough time to run a third forum game, and I still don't know enough to code my own yet, nevermind making any graphics.
Make it anyway, fail, and be a better coder than before?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #71057 on: March 13, 2014, 01:39:30 pm »

Yeah that shit is worth some XP.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #71058 on: March 13, 2014, 01:42:11 pm »

Making code that's good enough to function is harder than making graphics that function. Same with sound, etc.
I don't know, I'll take making some nice functions over wrassling with UI code any day. :P

That said if you are interesting in learning how to code I'd suggest starting here. Python is a remarkably easy language to learn, and once you've learned one code language it's extremely easy to another. Really learning to code is just two big things to learn, thinking algorithmically (i.e. breaking a big problem down into a bunch of little logical steps to solve it) and learning the syntax. Most people can at least grasp the basics of how to do things in a few weeks, though learning the various best practices and training your brain can take a little longer.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #71059 on: March 13, 2014, 01:54:28 pm »

I'm starting to feel as if I'm alienating from my friends. It's like they don't really want me anymore. Especially one of them, but there's literally nothing I can do about it except for feel like shit from having to hear the insults that I have heard for years that I was finally not hearing a lot anymore (again, from that one guy). I really just want to punch him and tell him to go fuck off, but I can't. It's even me that brought him into our little group last year, which just makes me feel even worse about it somehow >.<

It's not terribly bad yet, but it will be if I don't do anything about it and I CAN'T.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #71060 on: March 13, 2014, 02:03:53 pm »

It's not terribly bad yet, but it will be if I don't do anything about it and I CAN'T.
Have you considered murderization?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71061 on: March 13, 2014, 02:08:41 pm »

Yes.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71062 on: March 13, 2014, 02:20:07 pm »

I'm starting to feel as if I'm alienating from my friends. It's like they don't really want me anymore. Especially one of them, but there's literally nothing I can do about it except for feel like shit from having to hear the insults that I have heard for years that I was finally not hearing a lot anymore (again, from that one guy). I really just want to punch him and tell him to go fuck off, but I can't. It's even me that brought him into our little group last year, which just makes me feel even worse about it somehow >.<

Are you still in school, or are you in college or university or whatever?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71063 on: March 13, 2014, 02:24:06 pm »

Yeah, I'm still in school. I'm about 95% sure that there's really nobody else I could be friends with (That shares my interests somewhat).

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71064 on: March 13, 2014, 02:28:30 pm »

Well then, if you're still in school, punching him in the snout would probably only result in a detention/suspension, rather than nasty assault charges! Something to bear in mind, anyhow. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71065 on: March 13, 2014, 02:30:30 pm »

Yeah, I'm still in school. I'm about 95% sure that there's really nobody else I could be friends with (That shares my interests somewhat).

Then I have good news for you, brah, because your school friends, if you go to uni and probably even if you do not, will never be relevant you in any way after graduation! Trust me, they really won't. You'll avoid eye contact with them when you see them at the grocery store. That's the way it works. It's the friends you make after that point that really count.

So fuck 'em is what I'm saying. Figuratively. Unless it's totally clear to you what your problem with them or their problem with you is.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71066 on: March 13, 2014, 02:36:01 pm »

Recede from society and master Dwarf Fortress while developing your own reality creator. After a year or so, lead your now real dwarven armies to seek revenge on your traitor friends.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71067 on: March 13, 2014, 02:46:36 pm »

I just need some people to generally stand with during breaks, or else I'll just feel really uncomfortable. That's one thing. There's also the part where the other guy in that group is my best friend. (There's 4 of us. Aforementioned asshole, best friend, other guy and me.)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71068 on: March 13, 2014, 03:02:59 pm »

I just need some people to generally stand with during breaks, or else I'll just feel really uncomfortable. That's one thing. There's also the part where the other guy in that group is my best friend. (There's 4 of us. Aforementioned asshole, best friend, other guy and me.)

1: obtain mop.
2: obtain bucket.
3: paint happy face on bucket.
4: put bucket on mop, secure properly.
5: beat asshole with bucket mop.

Problem solved!

More seriously, try to move relationship with asshole into equal snark territory. Play it off as good-natured ribbing.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #71069 on: March 13, 2014, 03:42:45 pm »

School finally caught on to the browser app that everyone was using to circumvent the blocking system and blocked its server. No more convenient Bay12 access during free period for me :(
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 4736 4737 [4738] 4739 4740 ... 8156