Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4876 4877 [4878] 4879 4880 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8577826 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #73155 on: April 16, 2014, 06:09:26 pm »

Mine don't, but I have faulty tear ducts.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #73156 on: April 16, 2014, 06:14:05 pm »

I doubt you look at it and shed a tear.

You're... actually not correct about that.

My textbooks literally have tearstains and blood on their pages.

I can't tell if you're being serious? I think you are, so will act on that assumption.
Then you do shed a tear, and you find it beautiful. Presumably. But that's because of something you attached to it...in the end, it's just brute fact. It is a part of the workings of the universe, but any emotion attached to it is your own construct.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73157 on: April 16, 2014, 06:14:18 pm »

Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73158 on: April 16, 2014, 06:15:43 pm »

I was in a Malevich exhibit about a week ago. At first, I just saw pictures from someone trying to find something to say, but after a few more paintings... I was going through the exhibit, completely euphoric. Two friends were with me - one not overly intellectual, one not too much into expressionism, apparently. To them, I must have looked like a maniac, giggling and laughing at - no, because of - a red square on a white background. It was marvellous.
I've also had my first lectures in logic and topology in the past two or three weeks. Logic gives me that very same feeling - it's the pure abstraction of manipulating symbols on paper. No unnecessary ballast of context or visualization - just symbols and rules for their manipulation. It's powerful. And topology feels similar: After getting rid of unnecessary ballast like the concept of distance, a whole world opens up in front of you - in just a few lines of dense definitions. It's very hard to describe, but it's like having the while world at the tip of your finger - absolute truth, ´just waiting for you to do a bit of thinking.
I've never seen a poem that elicited an emotional reaction in me, excluding maybe the Wintermärchen - but that was political. There have only been a few novels or short stories that really touched me - those by Kafka, Brecht and Orwell, and the last two were political, too. The three things that have ever really touched me are Kafka, music and mathematics, and the last one has been the most powerful by far.

I pity the fool who thinks mathematics is just dumb calculation.

Ninjaedit: So's the importance you attach to your poems, Th4DwArfY1. And too your mom. =P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73159 on: April 16, 2014, 06:18:58 pm »

Of course. But it's not necessarily my own personal construct. It was built with emotion in mind, constructed to that purpose. It was made to elicit a response. My response will be different from another, but it's likely to have a similar impact.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73160 on: April 16, 2014, 06:25:38 pm »

Have you ever felt like you're a burden to your significant other?

My GF was ill recently (as per normal) and her seems-like depression is back in full force. So in the conversation I had with her, she says I'm an additional source of stress on top of her messed up family and hard-as-balls university course. So while she did not say it in a horrible way, I can't help but feel like I'm a terrible burden to her when she needs a lighter load as possible.

Blargh. I feel bad, though she's no doubt feeling worse at the moment. Maybe she'll be more cheerful when I see her later this week.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73161 on: April 16, 2014, 06:30:30 pm »

eiπ + 1 = 0
holy shit what the hell my brain burns

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73162 on: April 16, 2014, 06:31:27 pm »

eiπ + 1 = 0
Had you never seen it before? I'm not that into Maths, but I'd still seen it.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #73163 on: April 16, 2014, 06:39:17 pm »

Of course. But it's not necessarily my own personal construct. It was built with emotion in mind, constructed to that purpose. It was made to elicit a response. My response will be different from another, but it's likely to have a similar impact.
So to hell with sunsets, then?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73164 on: April 16, 2014, 06:41:35 pm »

eiπ + 1 = 0
Had you never seen it before? I'm not that into Maths, but I'd still seen it.
That's Euler's identity for you.

Even better, did you know ii is real?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #73165 on: April 16, 2014, 06:43:41 pm »

I can't tell if you're being serious? I think you are, so will act on that assumption.
Then you do shed a tear, and you find it beautiful. Presumably. But that's because of something you attached to it...in the end, it's just brute fact. It is a part of the workings of the universe, but any emotion attached to it is your own construct.

The exact same could be said about language, except that it's not part of the workings of the universe.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73166 on: April 16, 2014, 06:46:46 pm »

eiπ + 1 = 0
Yes, that's known as "Encountering a new idea" in mathematical circles.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73167 on: April 16, 2014, 06:52:10 pm »

I pity the fool who thinks mathematics is just dumb calculation.

Ninjaedit: So's the importance you attach to your poems, Th4DwArfY1. And too your mom. =P

Just noticed the "pity" bit. And in quoting this, the "mom" bit too, but I think it's best for everyone if I ignore that.

I dislike the person who calls someone a fool simply because they do not believe or feel what they do. Despite that, I never said it was just dumb calculation, just that it was not a good vessel for emotion. Not as good at it as English is, at any rate. I believe it's very intelligent, and see beauty in that intelligence, but I can't love it. Or do it well, to be honest.
So to hell with sunsets, then?
I don't think I understand your point? If it's that you think I'm saying English is the be all and end all, I'm not. I'm saying that it's a better medium for emotion than maths.

I suppose a sunset could be classified as art. That's separated from both English and Maths, unless you see an equation as art, or a poem as art.

The exact same could be said about language, except that it's not part of the workings of the universe.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I have the tendency to be vague at times.

With language it isn't your own construct. It is someone else who built the feeling into the words. Your interpretation will differ, but the general feeling tends to get across. Maths, any emotion is something you personally put into it but which isn't an integral part of the equation.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73168 on: April 16, 2014, 06:55:57 pm »

When people put things into words, my usual reaction is "what the fuck is this a metaphor or are they saying stuff for the hell of it", and that's when I understand the words. You can imagine that I'm not a fan of non-subtle texts.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73169 on: April 16, 2014, 07:07:41 pm »

Th4DwArfY1, people can be unmoved by poems as well. Of course mathematics isn't a vessel for emotions, it's not a method of communication - but it can elicit emotions just the same. To say one is superior to the other is really just snobistic - they're not comparable.

The 'pity' bit was sincere, by the way - there's such a wealth of pure beauty out there that most people will never know... And the Yo Momma bit was just an immature joke. I'm drunk right now, please forgive me~
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 4876 4877 [4878] 4879 4880 ... 8156