Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4886 4887 [4888] 4889 4890 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8555984 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #73305 on: April 18, 2014, 09:17:39 am »

I admit, I'm amused by the idea of "solving" some sort of beauty problem by making everyone "beautiful."

It'd be pretty hilarious to freeze everyone's physical appearance to the standards of the 80s in the US. Those hairstyles were wild.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #73306 on: April 18, 2014, 09:21:53 am »

Yeah, but if there were a way to make everyone beautiful, then no one would be. Then, the rich would start hating that they are equally as beautiful/ugly as the poor and invent new ways to look better. Thus, beauty would become a social divide; the rich would be more beautiful, the poor always a step or two behind.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #73307 on: April 18, 2014, 09:22:21 am »

I admit, I'm amused by the idea of "solving" some sort of beauty problem by making everyone "beautiful."

It'd be pretty hilarious to freeze everyone's physical appearance to the standards of the 80s in the US. Those hairstyles were wild.
...well, so long it's not the 90s, I'm ok with that. Because the 90s...the 90s, man...
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73308 on: April 18, 2014, 09:30:01 am »

Yeah, but if there were a way to make everyone beautiful, then no one would be. Then, the rich would start hating that they are equally as beautiful/ugly as the poor and invent new ways to look better. Thus, beauty would become a social divide; the rich would be more beautiful, the poor always a step or two behind.
This has pretty much always been the case. Remember that being overweight was considered "beautiful" way back when most people were starving and malnourished. Once food became plentiful and it required expensive healthy food to stay thin, that changed.

"Beauty" is largely a measure of social class.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #73309 on: April 18, 2014, 09:35:56 am »

Gotta say though, that 'beauty on the inside' shit is pretty relevant. People are attracted to Joie de vivre.
Feeling ugly is in itself ugly.
*googles Joie de vivre*
*Joie de vivre==Joy of Life*

...Welp, today I learned.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73310 on: April 18, 2014, 09:36:59 am »

This has pretty much always been the case. Remember that being overweight was considered "beautiful" way back when most people were starving and malnourished. Once food became plentiful and it required expensive healthy food to stay thin, that changed.

Yes, it has. But I meant on a purely global scale; beauty isn't always indicative of wealth, even when all it took was to get fat. There are still certain things that are considered beautiful that you can't change short of plastic surgery.
If everyone were to be beautiful, then everyone would cease to be beautiful. And so everyone would be the same looking. The rich would get tired of this fast, and create...almost a caste for themselves. There would by physical differences to tell wealth by, for example high, sweeping cheek bones while the poor, still in a poorer "caste" would only have normal cheek bones.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73311 on: April 18, 2014, 12:11:32 pm »

The solution is to let anyone change how they look to what -they- want. :v

It's silly to go for trends...

But I still want to be able to change my looks/gender/etc on a whim throughout my thousand-year reich life.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73312 on: April 18, 2014, 12:17:20 pm »

The solution is to let anyone change how they look to what -they- want. :v

It's silly to go for trends...
But people like trends. It's a social thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73313 on: April 18, 2014, 01:06:20 pm »

Muscular and athletic people, I have to say, were always considered beautiful. Look at all those Roman statues.

Yes, it has. But I meant on a purely global scale; beauty isn't always indicative of wealth, even when all it took was to get fat. There are still certain things that are considered beautiful that you can't change short of plastic surgery.
If everyone were to be beautiful, then everyone would cease to be beautiful. And so everyone would be the same looking. The rich would get tired of this fast, and create...almost a caste for themselves. There would by physical differences to tell wealth by, for example high, sweeping cheek bones while the poor, still in a poorer "caste" would only have normal cheek bones.
Also please stop hating on the rich. Not all of us are narcissistic assholes.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:07:52 pm by Knit tie »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73314 on: April 18, 2014, 01:36:20 pm »

I'm in a really terrible mood today and I don't know why.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73315 on: April 18, 2014, 01:51:58 pm »

Not enough hugs and chocolate. Or booze.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73316 on: April 18, 2014, 01:52:51 pm »

Not enough hugs and chocolate. Or booze.
Or music. Music always cheers me up.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73317 on: April 18, 2014, 02:43:00 pm »

Cold is getting worse.
One more cold, sleepless night and I'm going to be bedridden.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #73318 on: April 18, 2014, 02:45:00 pm »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can't say I see any beauty there.
Pretty good-looking. I'd eat it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #73319 on: April 18, 2014, 03:16:19 pm »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can't say I see any beauty there.
I'd tap that
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 4886 4887 [4888] 4889 4890 ... 8155