Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4976 4977 [4978] 4979 4980 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8540214 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #74655 on: May 11, 2014, 04:22:22 am »

Anxiety was too strong to sleep tonight.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #74656 on: May 11, 2014, 06:00:33 am »

I need to keep a lid on my jealousy when someone is complimented.

EDIT: In fact, I think I have Aphrodite-level sort of bitchiness and jealousy when I'm jealous about someone's attractiveness, except that I'm not actually attractive unlike Aphrodite I guess.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:03:36 am by Objective »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74657 on: May 11, 2014, 06:09:20 am »

Jealousy is fear of losing what you have.
Envy is wanting what you don't.

Englishcommie Awaaaaay!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #74658 on: May 11, 2014, 06:10:23 am »

On the plus side, you weren't born of blood and sea as Aphrodite was.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #74659 on: May 11, 2014, 06:11:37 am »

Does seamen count?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #74660 on: May 11, 2014, 06:16:02 am »

Also on that line of thought, I'm really wondering, are most people actually sincere when they tell people something along the line of "You're gorgeous/beautiful/etc."?

I mean, I tend to find most people aesthetically unpleasant in my opinion, but I still tell them they're beautiful and such when they're being hard on themselves because hey, they have passable appearance, but they sure ain't gorgeous. In fact, I'm less likely to compliment someone the more attractive they are because they infuriate me.

And maybe I'm projecting here, but I feel like it's the same way when people compliment my appearance. I mean, I'm ugly as shit and I don't really know why I should show my face. I acknowledge it as a conscious ego boost on my part, but the whole practice is kind of rendered moot when I can't really take compliments at face value.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74661 on: May 11, 2014, 06:17:43 am »

* Descan punches Objective in the face
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #74662 on: May 11, 2014, 06:26:50 am »

Ow.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #74663 on: May 11, 2014, 06:40:17 am »

I think it's probably just you. At least, when someone's down I don't say "You look great, by the way!"

That just would sound weird. Besides, presumably if someone's going to be complimented in such a way, it's because they feel bad specifically about their looks. My approach on that is kay sirrah sirrah.

In other words, you can't change looks. To yourself, you're ugly. To others, you're middlin, and to others beautiful. Beauty is opinion.

Besides, I prefer judging people on their inside, though I do believe I'm occasionally fooled. Then again, who isn't?

Really, to people who cry about looks I say "Man up." perhaps a bit tough, but essentially they don't matter. A relationship, friend or girl/boyfriend is shallow if built only on looks, and will eventually collapse.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74664 on: May 11, 2014, 07:14:21 am »

If I compliment somebody's looks on my own I really mean it, if they ask for my opinion and I say they look great, I'm usually just being nice. I'm pretty sure most people do the same. And it's not just looks, same goes for pretty much any trait.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #74665 on: May 11, 2014, 07:14:58 am »

I efficiently procrastinated studying for the AP Biology test tomorrow by coding up a Javascript thing! WOOO

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74666 on: May 11, 2014, 08:19:27 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some of it may just be that I'm living with my Mom, and my own home just automatically places me into an awful, terrible, depressed mindset. But man, the rest of the world just feels like it doesn't even want me to be anywhere else. I can't look outside without feeling that the rest of the world just doesn't want me, and wants to actively strangle me out. I don't know.

I looked at this add on Craigslist today for a roomie, and it's just this one big paragraph written in all caps and awful punctuation. I can overlook that since it's just a dumb thing on Craiglist. Part of the ad, in one sentence the phrase "420 FRIENDLY" was used, and I had no idea what this meant so I had to look it up. Apparently means 'friendly to pot smokers' and through some intangible force I'm made sick to my stomach again.

I'm not tired, but I just want to lay down and forget about everything.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74667 on: May 11, 2014, 09:22:39 am »

Really, to people who cry about looks I say "Man up."
I generally say something nice, and then follow it up with a dig about their fishing.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74668 on: May 11, 2014, 09:50:57 am »

I have all of this really pretty Origami Paper that I'm afraid to use because I know I will turn it into crappy Origami, and it'd be such a waste.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #74669 on: May 11, 2014, 10:04:14 am »

I have all of this really pretty Origami Paper that I'm afraid to use because I know I will turn it into crappy Origami, and it'd be such a waste.
Don't worry, you won't be the first.

Seriously though just have some fun with it, if it turns out to be not great oh well. That's how you get better at things.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 4976 4977 [4978] 4979 4980 ... 8155