Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4984 4985 [4986] 4987 4988 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8565645 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #74775 on: May 13, 2014, 09:42:54 am »

We're reading Out of Nowhere for our geography class, a book set in Maine concerning the Somali refugees coming into Lewiston.

This book is a riveting tale of teenage drama and high-school students swearing and humping each other's legs. I've always wanted to read a book in which the main character is a selfish douchebag who continuously acts condescending to other people no matter what they say. His amazing density and inability to understand anyone else's reasoning or choices adds mystery to the story as well. The suspense as they go to a fictional school and do barely anything important to the plot makes this book an amazing read.

Now let's be honest. I really hate this book. I normally love reading, but the characters in this book are so unlikable that it's impossible to ignore. I'm hesitant to whine to the teacher about this, since I'm afraid that she'll look at how much my brother hates reading and just go "Oh, IronTomato must hate reading too" and ignore what I said. (Which has happened before.)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #74776 on: May 13, 2014, 09:49:36 am »

What's a GPA-y thing?
Grade point average. Is a weighted average of sum of (hours * grade points) divided by total hours.

A = 4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0

However, because I live in Korea, I am graded relatively to my peers on a scale of 1 to 9, high to low. I decided that 1-2 are A and 3-4 are B and then calculated it.

gpa max is 4n min is 0

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74777 on: May 13, 2014, 09:57:36 am »

Bring a book you actually like reading with you and compare/contrast the two.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #74778 on: May 13, 2014, 10:36:24 am »

(cleaned up an unfortunate sidetrack)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74779 on: May 13, 2014, 11:07:08 am »

Wow Deus Ex: Invisible War really is as bad as it's hyped up to be.
Compared to the first (but on its own as well) it just feels so floaty and awful to control. And the cutscenes with talking drag on so much. Actually that would be a good description of what's wrong with the game, it just drags on so much. Everything is so slow.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #74780 on: May 13, 2014, 11:21:50 am »

What University you hoping to go to? I'm going to apply to Oxford (I haven't a chance, and I don't particularly want to leave home anyway) Queens (Belfast) and Edinburgh.

Actually, asking that seems a bit prying. Instead, what qualification are you going on to do?
Physics. Did apply for Cambridge but fell down at the interviews. Which I was kinda relieved about, as I only really applied there out of peer pressure - I don't quite fit the mentality.
Plus, my Firm choice is actually better for physics tbh. Though I won't specify :P
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #74781 on: May 13, 2014, 11:27:56 am »

:P

I'm hoping to do English and History. Not as useful for a career as physics, but it'll pull me through. If I even get past lower sixth, that is. My R.E. exam didn't go so well, at least I don't think so. I'll just have to worry and wait, I guess.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74782 on: May 13, 2014, 11:33:44 am »

I'm hoping to do English and History. Not as useful for a career as physics, but it'll pull me through. If I even get past lower sixth, that is. My R.E. exam didn't go so well, at least I don't think so. I'll just have to worry and wait, I guess.
As someone with a B.A. in history, let me just say....fly, you fool, fly!

Unless you plan on supporting yourself with your pub trivia wins, in which case, carry on.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74783 on: May 13, 2014, 11:34:13 am »

Oh yeah, I have around a year to decide on university things.

I mean I'm reasonably certain that I know what I want but that's hard when I don't even have my predicted A-level grades yet.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74784 on: May 13, 2014, 11:35:23 am »

Unless you plan on supporting yourself with your pub trivia wins, in which case, carry on.

Well...yes, but it includes English! Two degrees in one! Must count fir something.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74785 on: May 13, 2014, 11:55:01 am »

Well...yes, but it includes English! Two degrees in one! Must count fir something.
???

Combining one mostly useless degree with another mostly useless degree doesn't yield an exceptionally useful degree.

That said, if you don't mind spending the first 10 years or so after college working whatever you can find for crap pay, then I would advise it (non-sarcastically) if those are the disciplines that actually interest you. Most employers (other than science/engineering type jobs) don't really give a shit what your degree is in, just that you HAVE one. After that, the experience you racked up in that 10 years is going to be far more important than your degree, which will be hopelessly outdated and irrelevant by then anyways.

And you're more likely to successfully graduate university if you're actually studying something you're interested in.

Look at me, I double-majored in history and archaeology. And then promptly wound up working helpdesk for 10 years. Went back to grad school, got a Master's in International Studies....and went back to helpdesk for four more years. Then applied for a project manager job on a "oh why the hell not" whim, got it, and here I am now.

The subject matter of my education has pretty much zero input into my work life. But the *skills* of note-taking, organization, critical thought, attention to detail, logic, etc. are very much part of my work life.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #74786 on: May 13, 2014, 11:58:54 am »

Well I'm looking towards Theoretical Physics, so..... not the best employment prospects either.

Also you took RE to AS? Your hand must be made of steel.

But yeah, as said above, most employers I've encountered are primarily interested in the fact you have A degree, rather than one in particular. Do what you enjoy, and hope the country's sorted itself out somewhat in 4/5 year time :P
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74787 on: May 13, 2014, 12:03:02 pm »

Well I'm looking towards Theoretical Physics, so..... not the best employment prospects either.

I think that we can come to an... agreement.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74788 on: May 13, 2014, 12:04:51 pm »

I am one of those rare beasts - someone who holds a degree in physics who still works in physics. Degrees show you have skills as well as knowledge, and it is often the skill set you offer that is more relevant to employers.
This is a blank sig.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74789 on: May 13, 2014, 12:49:56 pm »

Also you took RE to AS? Your hand must be made of steel.
I have a writing callous the size of a small plum. And I was good at R.E. GCSE level, got an award for it from the school and everything. But it became nine shades more difficult at A level. I still need to memorise a nine page essay, then write it off point by point, scholarly quote by scholarly quote and counter argument, etc. etc.

That said, if you don't mind spending the first 10 years or so after college working whatever you can find for crap pay, then I would advise it (non-sarcastically) if those are the disciplines that actually interest you. Most employers (other than science/engineering type jobs) don't really give a shit what your degree is in, just that you HAVE one. After that, the experience you racked up in that 10 years is going to be far more important than your degree, which will be hopelessly outdated and irrelevant by then anyways.

That's why I'm getting started on the old-work experience now. I got my Aunt to pull some strings, and now I volunteer at an archivists attached to a cathedral. It's a private museum essentially, with books dating back centuries. And, again through my Aunt, I'm going to some history club meetings, so that's history and english, history by itself, and english again because I can simply mention the sheer volume of stuff I write. I've got 76 pages-worth of poetry to show it :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4984 4985 [4986] 4987 4988 ... 8156